National Indigenous TV

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   dryfry #21

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Yep thats the one. It looks like NITV is focussing on evening programming with its daytime being repeats for the moment.
What I saw during the launch NITV could be showing many ABC and SBS programmes that featured indigenous people such as R-A-N and ICAM and Message Stick and maybe Bush Mechanics.

OFFLINE   stickeylabel #22

• 299 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Is NITV owned by Imparja Television Pty Ltd, or is it an independant organisation, with independant funding?

stickeylabel,
user posted image

OFFLINE   Moe #23

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (stickeylabel @ Jul 13 2007, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is NITV owned by Imparja Television Pty Ltd, or is it an independant organisation, with independant funding?

stickeylabel,

Government owned I think (at the very least it is government funded), Imparja just share facilities with them.

I still don't like the idea of this being a station in its own right, there is no reason to have a separate channel when the government could have just funded increased Aboriginal content on SBS. I would like to see it merged with SBS and have its schedule mixed into the World News Channels one:
5.30 am - 12.30pm - NITV programming (while SBS1 show World Watch)
12.30pm - 7.30pm - World Watch
7.30pm - 12.30pm - NITV programming
12.30pm - 5.30am - World Watch

OFFLINE   stickeylabel #24

• 299 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (chicki @ Jul 13 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Government owned I think (at the very least it is government funded), Imparja just share facilities with them.

From the official NITV website:
National Indigenous Television is a service which builds on the foundations and work of Indigenous Community Television (ICTV) and the pioneers of this Indigenous broadcast service. NITV will walk hand in hand and support existing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander broadcasters, and program makers as they have paved the way for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Television and broadcasting in Australia.

Does this mean the network has replaced the Imparja owned-and-operated ICTV, or is this something seperate?

stickeylabel,
user posted image

OFFLINE   Moe #25

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Imparja chief executive Alistair Feehan says it will enter into commercial arrangements with NITV to provide things like station promotions and satellite links.

He says NITV will replace Imparja's narrowcast service to remote communities.

http://www.abc.net.a.../28/1859724.htm

1.1 Description of NITV

NITV should be a national television broadcast service, like the ABC or SBS. It will broadcast programming created by Indigenous Australians providing an additional choice of free-to-air television viewing for all Australians.

NITV will be a new service. It is not envisaged as being integrated into or taking over an existing service (e.g. existing ABC and SBS Indigenous units), nor is it intended to substitute for any existing services or opportunities for Indigenous broadcasting or production.

NITV will be similar to international niche broadcasters who provide primary comprehensive programming in their nations first cultures and languages. These include Maori Television in New Zealand, APTN in Canada, S4C in Wales, ETB in Spain and T na G in Ireland.

It is proposed that NITV will be incorporated as a company limited by guarantee and owned by its members. After a period of establishment which could be 2 - 3 years NITV would become a statutory authority by an act of the Federal Parliament.

NITV will need to continue to grow as it meets the demands of the primary audience and generates creative, informative and entertaining programming. It will offer an alternative to existing television audiences and will attract viewers with the unique programming on offer.

From the original submission for NITV's creation http://www.dcita.gov...sion_part_2.doc

Edited by chicki, 13 July 2007 - 04:21 PM.

OFFLINE   TGIF #26

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Interesting..

New AFL show has fresh perspective
August 30, 2007

Ignored by footy panels shows, indigenous footballers have created their own. By Michael Winkler.

THURSDAY night? Check. Ex-footballers in suits? Check. The Footy Show? Not this time.

There is a new AFL program on the block. The Marngrook Footy Show started last month on Channel 31 in Melbourne and across Australia via National Indigenous Television (NITV). Anchored by Grant Hansen, it is based on a radio program of the same name, which has been running for more than a decade on 3KND and through the National Indigenous Radio Service network.

Gilbert McAdam, Derek Kickett, Ronnie Burns and Alan Thorpe provide the panel's football experience. Between them they played 437 games of senior football across eight AFL clubs. McAdam hails from Central Australia, Kickett from Western Australia, Burns from the Tiwi Islands, while Thorpe's roots are in Gippsland, thus providing links to a huge slice of indigenous Australia.

"All of us on this show love footy," Hansen says. "We eat, sleep and breathe football. We have all been friends for a long time and that helps because we know where each other is coming from.

"Being blackfellas together helps, too. Blackfellas view the game differently to whitefellas. It is our perception of the way the game is played. We seem to read the play in a different way. There is a brotherhood element to our program. We're about promoting the game and the Aboriginal players, but the warmth is genuine, not put on. I get frustrated at the lack of indigenous people in the football media."

Co-host McAdam reads out team selections, highlighting the indigenous players and balancing the football patter with subtle humour. He recently bumped into former Melbourne star Garry Lyon, who said he had watched a bit of The Marngrook Footy Show before going on air in Channel Nine's The Footy Show. McAdam told him the Marn-grook team would be doing its best to knock the Channel Nine ratings winner off its pedestal.

The show also features 19-year-old Leila Gurruwiwi, who reads the football news and presents two packaged interview segments. Originally from the Top End, she is as passionate about football as her male colleagues.

"All my family are still on Elcho Island," Gurruwiwi says. "They see me on the television and feel proud of me. Apparently, there are 40 or 50 of them up there crowding into one room watching one screen. My mum rings me every Friday and talks about different parts of the show, so I'll know she's been watching.

"I think having women on the show adds a feminine touch. Women do watch football and follow AFL teams and seeing us might make women feel more comfortable."

Indigenous footballers make up about 10 per cent of all players on AFL lists, an all-time high. This group is, in turn, well represented on any highlights reel, with players like Leon Davis, "Buddy" Franklin and the Burgoyne brothers routinely performing spectacular feats. But as the Marngrook team points out, this prominence has not translated into media work.

"We hope this will be a good launching pad for indigenous players to get into the mainstream media, and the same for the ladies," Burns says.

"How many Aboriginal players do you see on regular footy shows? None is the answer."

Thorpe, a founding member of the radio team, says: "This is the first indigenous footy show ever, and we are very proud of that. We have a high level of respect for each other, but also for our audience."

Adds Kickett: "I started playing footy when I was six and stopped last year (aged 44), so it is a way to still be part of something I love and something that's part of our culture. I think this show has been a long time coming."

Producer Peter Johnson describes it as "positive, in-the-moment stuff.

"So much of what we see on television about indigenous Australia focuses on the past, what happened back then and how bad it was, or on the future - what should we do about it? This is about what is happening now, and it is all good news.

"We get historical footage from AFL Films, plus we can use current highlights from Channel Seven, Channel Ten and Foxtel. This is real generosity on their part, given the cost of broadcast rights."

He lauds the AFL for supporting the program. NITV started broadcasting in July. Its aim is to grow into Australia's third national broadcaster. NITV currently beams out on the Optus Aurora satellite and via Imparja Television's second channel, but from October it will be available via Foxtel and Austar.

Marngrook was an Aboriginal game played in Western Victoria before and after European settlement that some believe helped inspire Tom Wills when he and others formulated the laws of Australian rules. It featured high-flying attempts to mark a ball made from possum skins.

NITV's slogan is "From Dreamtime to prime time". The same might be said for Marngrook.

The Marngrook Footy Show screens Thursday at 8.30pm on Channel 31.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #27

• 3,252 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

NITV Goes Free-to-Air Across Sydney
STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL MONDAY 27 OCTOBER 2008

NITV Broadcasts to Channel 40
Monday 27 October 2008

National Indigenous TV (NITV), a 24 hour, Indigenous television service, will launch in Australia’s largest free-to-air television market on Monday 27 October 2008. Tune in to digital Channel 40 via the DIGITAL FORTY FOUR network to catch a range of programming that includes a daily news and weather service created by and for Indigenous people, award-winning sports programs, stunning dramas, insightful documentaries, cultural programming, music events, children’s shows, hilarious comedy, Indigenous lifestyle and reality series, and entertaining movies.
NITV will be available to those of the 3.8m people in the Sydney metropolitan area covered by the service who currently receive digital terrestrial television free-to-air signals. The service will be carried on Broadcast Australia’s digital free-to-air television trial platform known as DIGITAL FORTY FOUR. NITV can be found on digital Channel 40. For those not currently receiving digital television, the service can be received through the purchase of a set top box or digital television set. Details of the coverage of this service can be found at www.nitv.org.au.

NITV has been established by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to improve and enrich the lives of all Indigenous peoples. With the very best of Australian content, NITV aims to inform, entertain and educate, preserve native languages, and showcase the rich diversity of Indigenous cultures and creative talent from all over Australia.

NITV is also available via Foxtel, Optus and Austar networks on Channel 180, on TransAct subscription television services in Canberra on Channel 502 and on Neighborhood Cable subscription television services in Geelong, Ballarat and Mildura on Channel 6.

Apart from Sydney, NITV is available terrestrially free-to-air is via 151 analog terrestrial transmitters in the remote areas of Australia and direct to home satellite.

All services transmitted by Broadcast Australia on DIGITAL FORTY FOUR are part of a trial which allows the Federal Government and Broadcast Australia to undertake technical testing and assess audience interest in certain TV open narrowcast and data-casting services.

“I am delighted to work with Broadcast Australia to transmit NITV to a whole new audience. I know that the people of Sydney will embrace NITV and its immensely diverse programming” said NITV CEO Patricia Turner. “It is very important to us at NITV to now be available to the single biggest indigenous population of any area in Australia.”

The latest census indicates that nearly 60,000 indigenous Australians live in the Sydney metropolitan area. Turner also indicated that NITV is an important and relevant service for all Australians, not just for indigenous peoples.

NITV will enhance the line up on Broadcast Australia’s DIGITAL FORTY FOUR trial from Monday 27 October 2008. Tune into digital Channel 40 for a range of NITV highlights that include Indigenous news and current affairs, sports, comedy, drama, movies, documentaries and children’s programming.

Seems they're really steaming ahead with so many ideas and programs!

Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   bambbbam #28

• 4,127 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hey they show Skippy.. so it's a start..

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #29

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

Yeah I check this out occasionally on Foxtel, this fits the bill for 'narrowcasting' which they were aiming for on Digital TV so it's good they're getting it out there.
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Mike #30

• 18,504 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (bambbbam @ Oct 26 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey they show Skippy.. so it's a start..

and Blinky Bill silly.gif

QUOTE (Blue Mountains @ Oct 26 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL MONDAY 27 OCTOBER 2008

Apparently not wink.gif

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #31

• 20,037 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

What will the picture quality be like?

OFFLINE   newtaste #32

• News Contributor

• 5,230 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Reuder7 @ Oct 26 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What will the picture quality be like?

Picture quality is just ok, somewhere between LP and EP on a DVD recorder, and is full screen. acctv looks worse as it generally occupies only about a 1/4-1/3 of the screen under the dodgy "datacast" model, then is blown up to full screen for 'popular' programs - quality is pathetic.

Should be noted that NITV is not 'state' owned. NITV is a public company owned by it's members. It is wholly Government funded but is not Government owned.

OFFLINE   newtaste #33

• News Contributor

• 5,230 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

NITV's break in transmission slide recorded yesterday in Sydney via Channel 40:

Edited by newtaste, 28 October 2008 - 04:48 AM.

OFFLINE   Mike #34

• 18,504 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Datacast thing is a pointless exercise.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #35

• Forum Administrator

• 11,348 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Oct 28 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Datacast thing is a pointless exercise.

if it enables access to niche services such as NITV, EPGs and possibly things like Community TV, then it's not such a pointless exercise. Services like that are not going to attract heaps of revenue or attract heaps of usage but it could be argued there is community demand for them

OFFLINE   Mike #36

• 18,504 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Oct 28 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if it enables access to niche services such as NITV, EPGs and possibly things like Community TV, then it's not such a pointless exercise. Services like that are not going to attract heaps of revenue or attract heaps of usage but it could be argued there is community demand for them

Indeed, but ACC, EXPO etc.. are a waste of time. Put NITV and Community TV up there and dump the pointless stuff and don't call it something confusing and it'd make more sense.

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #37

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

On my Foxtel Dial at least all four of them (ACC, Expo, NITV and Aurora) are together!
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Smacca #38

• Forum Moderator

• 3,274 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

It would be good if NITV was able to use part of this new temporary spectrum for community broadcasters. Currently they're only available on Freeview Sydney, analog Freeview in regional Qld and NT, Optus Aurora satellite nationwide and Foxtel/Austar nationwide.

OFFLINE   TGIF #39

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

No doubt they'll be able to negotiate carriage with the community stations, either one by one or collectively.

At least, they'd be a good fit for each other.

OFFLINE   Mike #40

• 18,504 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

I wonder if they could set up a Community Section (Mux is it called? Not sure?). Which could carry 1 or 2 SD Channels for the local community (Like C31 and a second channel focusing on something special to that community perhaps) and NITV. Perhaps more if there is room. Would be better use than much else I have seen mentioned before.