National Indigenous TV

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Moe #61

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Though that sounds more like SBS launching an indigenous channel than NITV merging with it - and looks like they want to slash NITV's budget in the process.

OFFLINE   Timothy #62

• 977 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think the idea is that SBS will launch a new indigenous channel with the funding that would have gone to NITV, but is also planning to take on the staff of NITV and the programmes shown on it. There may also be some degree of editorial independence for the channel within SBS.

OFFLINE   newtaste #63

• News Contributor

• 5,146 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

SBS is preparing to take over NITV ... and has it's eyes on the extra funding

CPSU report: meeting with SBS management on 12/03/2012

NITV:

• CPSU queried conflicting reports on status on NITV – is SBS doing it or not?
  • SBS are operating on the assumption that they will be taking over NITV but it is not confirmed
  • Confirmation will happen when budget is announced or possibly before if the Minister decides to announce it earlier
  • Any government funding SBS receives for NITV will not be tied funding and SBS will reserve the right to allocate as they see fit
  • Between approximately 40 NITV staff and positions will be migrated to SBS
  • New staff will be covered by the SBS Enterprise Agreement unless they are on Executive contract
  • SBS has met with NITV staff and will be circulating employment contracts later this month
  • SBS do not anticipate the NITV will change operations staff duties or functions because the work will be done by the new staff or part of the outsourced work.

http://www.cpsu.org....sion/27820.html

Edited by newtaste, 17 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

OFFLINE   Timothy #64

• 977 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

It is a bit odd that SBS will be taking over NITV from July 1st, but apparently won't be broadcasting it terrestrially until it is relaunched late in the year. This really seems silly, surely it would make much more sense to broadcast it ASAP and deal with the relaunch later. Delaying making it available to a much larger audience is just wasting taxpayers' money.

I'll be interested to see how SBS will broadcast the new indigenous channel. As far as I understand, they can't squeeze in another SD channel. They could broadcast it as an HD channel, switch to having three SD channels and no HD one, or even four SD channels, if they could find something to put on it.

OFFLINE   Mike #65

• 18,463 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

SBS2 could become HD only or they may dump SBS2.

OFFLINE   Timothy #66

• 977 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

SBS2 could become HD only or they may dump SBS2.

They could indeed shift it to HD. I highly doubt they'd dump it though - they've been making far too much out of how it is okay that SBS1 has gone more mainstream, now that SBS2 exists and shows a lot of foreign-language content.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #67

• Forum Administrator

• 11,261 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'll be interested to see how SBS will broadcast the new indigenous channel. As far as I understand, they can't squeeze in another SD channel.

ABC has 3 SD + 1 HD channel, so SBS should have capacity to do another SD channel for NITV?

OFFLINE   Captain Cupcake #68

• 247 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

I reckon they'll simply dump SBS HD, and run NITV or SBS TWO in HD.

OFFLINE   Timothy #69

• 977 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

ABC has 3 SD + 1 HD channel, so SBS should have capacity to do another SD channel for NITV?

I remember reading that there is some technical reason why SBS cannot cram in as many channels as the other broadcasters. It had something to do with the broadcasting infrastructure or the frequencies they had been assigned or something similar. I understand that this will cease to be a problem after final analogue switchoff and restacking.

OFFLINE   J Bar #70

• 14,717 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

That's probably what they'll do. There had been talk of an SBS3 before they decided to do this.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Aurora #71

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,967 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I remember reading that there is some technical reason why SBS cannot cram in as many channels as the other broadcasters. It had something to do with the broadcasting infrastructure or the frequencies they had been assigned or something similar. I understand that this will cease to be a problem after final analogue switchoff and restacking.

What you are getting at is correct. The way their multiplex is configured means that they don't have quite as much space for all their channels as each of the other four.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #72

• 4,094 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

So we may lose this country's one remaining decent HD channel for this rubbish? Sheesh.

OFFLINE   J Bar #73

• 14,717 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Well "rubbish" is harsh. If the quality of the content on the old NITV channel is the issue then having SBS involved should improve that.

I'm wondering whether all the major networks will be allowed or made to provide a HD version of their main channel after the analogue switch off in 2013 and then all their other digital channels will be SD.

Edited by J Bar, 09 May 2012 - 11:31 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #74

• News Contributor

• 10,581 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'm wondering whether all the major networks will be allowed or made to provide a HD version of their main channel after the analogue switch off in 2013 and then all their other digital channels will be SD.

The only (simplae and obvious) technical way that could be done is if the main SD channel is changed to HD and is thus no longer available in SD (the current HD channel would change to SD). Viewers will have to have a HD STB or TV or Foxtel IQ2 HD to view the main channel.

OFFLINE   Timothy #75

• 977 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

From TV Tonight:

- new NITV service will probably be launched in December
- will most likely still be called NITV, rather than be rebranded
- there are plans for a new SBS3 in addition to the indigenous channel
- SBS expects more funding from its next triennial funding package next year (it was delayed along with that of the ABC)

OFFLINE   J Bar #76

• 14,717 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

- there are plans for a new SBS3 in addition to the indigenous channel

That's interesting and unexpected. So we'll get both.
J Bar

OFFLINE   The Sifon #77

• 5,722 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Where does HD fit in all this?

OFFLINE   AdelaideIsSeven #78

• 539 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Wasn't there already an SBS3 several years ago? There was SBS One, SBS Two was branded as "SBS World News Channel" and screened foreign language news all day, and a third SBS channel playing music with a WeatherWatch and programme guide called "SBS Essential" (or something like that), plus SBS One HD.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #79

• Forum Administrator

• 11,261 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Wasn't there already an SBS3 several years ago? There was SBS One, SBS Two was branded as "SBS World News Channel" and screened foreign language news all day, and a third SBS channel playing music with a WeatherWatch and programme guide called "SBS Essential" (or something like that), plus SBS One HD.

I remember SBS Essential, as you described above, but wasn't it scrapped to make way for SBS News Channel/SBS2? My memory's failing me... :old:

OFFLINE   Tane04 #80

• 797 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

SBS Essential was scrapped on Jan. 25, 2007. Reasons being that many of the services provided the channel were available via the onscreen EPG on SBS TV, the World News Channel and SBS HD.

There was also criticism that SBS Essential was consuming bitrate from SBS's other channels.

It was SBS World News Channel that was scrapped to make way for SBS2.