• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   mediamonitor #41

• 567 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

The Age wins Pacific award

August 8, 2007 - 10:09PM

A Melbourne newspaper has again been named the Pacific region's major newspaper of the year, with the award going to The Age.

News Ltd's Herald Sun had for the previous two years won the major dailies and Sundays category at the Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers' Association (PANPA) newspaper of the year awards.

But its Melbourne rival took the prize, with PANPA judges saying Fairfax's The Age had excelled in content, design, production and campaign journalism.

Highly commended in the category were the South China Morning Post, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sunday Mail.

The PANPA awards attract entries from across Australia, New Zealand and South-East Asia.

FULL STORY - SOURCE
Sunrise People you know

OFFLINE   icat #42

• 7,188 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

I never buy The Age. Not because its not a good newspaper. But because its not suitable to read on a train
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   byron #43

• 3,479 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

I love the age and good on 'em for winning the award! smile.gif

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #44

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (icat2000 @ Aug 8 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never buy The Age. Not because its not a good newspaper. But because its not suitable to read on a train

The width of the paper will be reduced by 5cm in the first half of next year, so hopefully that may coax you in to buying it.

OFFLINE   honesty #45

• 215 posts since
  • July 2007

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Im writing a report for university about The Age and id like to hear some opinions. Tell me if you think if The Age is either leftwing / centrist / rightwing? Also in what ways do you think the paper is rightwing / centrist / leftwing? Do you believe the perception of bias is affected by other publications in the market?

Cheers for your time and involvement.

Warwick hyper.gif

Edited by honesty, 20 August 2007 - 08:50 PM.

OFFLINE   TGIF #46

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

I think in most things it's fairly centrist..the editorial tends to lean to the left a bit although they have been in recent times been quite critical of the Bracks/Brumby government, particularly with regard to public transport. I can't say how much the Herald Sun affects the way they cover things though, I personally don't pay it much attention so it's hard to tell if they do.

OFFLINE   TV Head #47

• 18,617 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

All I know is The Herald loves to call it "The Aged".

OFFLINE   Korona 1969 #48

• 1,198 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

Im writing a report for university about The Age and id like to hear some opinions. Tell me if you think if The Age is either leftwing / centrist / rightwing?

Hi Warwick,

it's rather hard for me to place The Age into just one category. Is The Age 100% left-wing? No. Is it 100% centrist? No. I guess I'd say it's centre-left. But saying that, they have at least two columnists I'd say are right-wing, though most opinion pieces and letters tend to skew left. But obviously nothing is black and white. I'd say their coverage of the G20 protests in Melbourne last year, for-instance, came across to me as rather right-wing.

If I must choose one of the categories you've listed I'd probably say centrist, but "centre-left" better reflects my personal view.

Do you believe the perception of bias is affected by other publications in the market?

Yes, to a degree. IMHO the Herald Sun is centre-right/right-wing, and when comparing the HS with TA the differences can be quite dramatic, especially when it comes to political coverage and opinion pieces/letters to the editor. But if the Herald Sun didn't exist would my opinion of the bias at The Age change? No. While the comparison to the HS factors, it ultimately, for me, comes down to what is in TA itself.

Hope some of that made sense smile.gif

Good luck with everything!

OFFLINE   Korona 1969 #49

• 1,198 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Mike Beckham @ Aug 21 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I know is The Herald loves to call it "The Aged".

Some critics also like to call it the Spring Street Soviet. silly.gif

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if The Age has changed the paper it is printed on? I don't know if I'm going crazy, but since Monday the paper feels different somehow...

Edited by Korona 1969, 21 August 2007 - 07:25 PM.

OFFLINE   byron #50

• 3,479 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

whats with the new website! i dont like it at all ( http://www.theage.com.au/ ) to much advertising and white. crazy.gif

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #51

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (honesty @ Aug 20 2007, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im writing a report for university about The Age and id like to hear some opinions. Tell me if you think if The Age is either leftwing / centrist / rightwing? Also in what ways do you think the paper is rightwing / centrist / leftwing? Do you believe the perception of bias is affected by other publications in the market?
Cheers for your time and involvement.

Warwick hyper.gif

The Age can have a left leaning, but I dont think it's as extreme as the Herald Sun's right leanings. The Age does not have any Alan Bolt or Neil Mitchell. The Age is more centrist.
I don't think it really interferes with the way they cover news. They cover some topics in depth, such as public transport, infrastructure, aboriginal issues etc, but I think that is more because it's a higher quality product - the thinking person's newspaper.

OFFLINE   TGIF #52

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

The Jewish lobby strikes again.. (bear in mind this is the Australian)
Fairfax's Israel coverage panned
Ean Higgins | September 15, 2007

THE Australian Jewish News has attacked Fairfax newspapers, accusing them and their Middle East correspondent of anti-Israeli bias.

The newspaper yesterday ran a news story, an opinion piece by Labor's Member for Melbourne Ports, Michael Danby, and two cartoons all lambasting Fairfax titles.

"The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald are highly influential newspapers, and their systematic anti-Israel bias has a real effect on public opinion in Australia," Mr Danby writes in AJN.

Mr Danby is particularly critical of The Age's editor-in-chief, Briton Andrew Jaspan.

"Under its current editor, The Age's liberalism has morphed into a peculiar sort of bitter and twisted extremism, borrowed from UK paper The Guardian."

Mr Danby, who is the only Jewish federal MP, attacks Middle East correspondent Ed O'Loughlin. "There's nothing funny about O'Loughlin's systematic bias against Israel," he says.

Jason Koutsoukis, The Sunday Age's Canberra bureau chief, is quoted in the Jewish News pledging to introduce "balanced" coverage when he takes over as Fairfax Media's Middle East correspondent.

"There's two sides to every story and I think we've got to tell both sides. Perhaps we've only been telling one side. That's been some of the concerns expressed to me by Jewish community leaders," he is quoted as saying.

Koutsoukis last night denied attacking O'Loughlin. "I was not quoted accurately ... and it does not reflect my views."

The editor of The Sydney Morning Herald, Alan Oakley, Jaspan and O'Loughlin did not return calls or emails.
http://www.mediaspy....h...50&start=50

OFFLINE   TGIF #53

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Interesing article from the Guardian in A2 today about television around the world - it even had Nigeria, which was interesting (to read).

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #54

• 20,067 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Tim Graham @ Sep 22 2007, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesing article from the Guardian in A2 today about television around the world - it even had Nigeria, which was interesting (to read).

linky?

OFFLINE   Mark #55

• 16,415 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Reuder7 @ Sep 22 2007, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
linky?

http://www.theage.co...9881685096.html

OFFLINE   ticky #56

• 91 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

the new hq for the age looks pretty schmick

http://www.about.the...ideshow_web.pdf

OFFLINE   TGIF #57

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

According to the editor's note in the letters section of the Green Guide today, they'll be taking HD listings from February 7.

I take this to mean the SMH will follow soonish as well?

OFFLINE   helen m #58

• 206 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

as for the earlier comments in this thread, i'm afraid i can't see what's so difficult about folding and turning pages when it comes to a broadsheet newspaper - allright, it's an acquired skill but it's pretty simple after a bit of practice. what really annoys me is when i read my paper and have someone next to me reading the daily telegraph and they're taking up more room than me!

i buy the sydney morning herald monday to friday (only occassionally on saturdays) and when i am in melbourne i buy the age - but i have to say the herald has better crosswords than the age.........

OFFLINE   TGIF #59

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

There's a technique you can use to read the paper on the train by making it 1/4 width but I've forgotten where to find it.

OFFLINE   byron #60

• 3,479 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Has the size been changed yet?