The Age

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #81

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ May 28 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...NITV is not available on free-to-air in Melbourne.

I note from today's GG that there's gonna be a new piece of morning crap called "New Idea TV" - those initials are going to cause problems...

OFFLINE   TGIF #82

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

The Age are doing a few interesting things with their website (SMH too) - you can now share a story on Twitter and comment on it along with others..it even creates a tag so others can comment on the story. Which is quite neat.

And I hadn't seen this either - it runs on Adobe Air which is a very neat piece of technology.

OFFLINE   Aslan #83

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

The Network Ten singing contest returned in a new family friendly timeslot of 6.30pm on Sunday, almost a million viewers short of last year's debut

Source
Fail! Maybe the papers should do a little research instead of relying on press releases from rival networks.

Edited by TelevisionAU, 10 August 2009 - 04:04 PM.
fixed Source URL

Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #84

• Forum Administrator

• 11,314 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

Steve Harris for The Sunday Age writes on the role of newspapers in the 20 years since Melbourne's Sunday newspaper landscape was totally re-built with the demise of The Sunday Press (a joint venture between HWT and The Age) replaced by the launches of The Sunday Herald (HWT), The Sunday Sun (HWT) and The Sunday Age all on the same day - 20 August 1989. The Sunday Herald and The Sunday Sun managed to stay separate even after their weekday papers merged in 1990, but The Sunday Herald never really caught on and they too eventually merged.

http://www.theage.co...90822-eug4.html

OFFLINE   7HD #85

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Why don't they just make "The Age" the same size as the "Herald Sun".
I like the quality of both newspapers but one thing put's me off "The Age"

IT'S TOO BIG!!!

Edited by Adrian90, 22 October 2009 - 08:48 PM.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #86

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,278 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

The logic behind it is that if they switched to Tabloid size paper people would think they've switched to tabloid journalism, which is exactly the image that The Age wants to preserve, the image that they're not a tabloid paper
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   TGIF #87

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

Also I think someone said here once that changing to a tabloid format would be a bit too exxy for Fairfax in its current state.

OFFLINE   7HD #88

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Also I think someone said here once that changing to a tabloid format would be a bit too exxy for Fairfax in its current state.

Then why are they changing the size to only one section, sounds rather pointless to me.

I know how different both The Age & Herald Sun are in terms of presentation and size, but both to me are quite good quality reads in the morning.

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #89

• Forum Administrator

• 11,314 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

http://www.mediaspy....-logies-tweets/

this is brilliant news! Perhaps instead of deriding MTR a few weeks back she should have taken up their offer of a job! Or what's more hilarious, if she queues up for a job at the Herald Sun - the very newspaper she usually derides her critics of being readers of! :cool:

OFFLINE   Greatfox #90

• 190 posts since
  • April 2010

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #91

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Reminds me of a story told by a friend of mine: Back in the Sixties, a titled gentleman (Viscount somebody-or-other) was burnt to death in an accident. In the commercial break immediately following the TV news report on his death was a cigarette commercial with the jingle "Light up a Viscount, a Viscount, a Viscount"...

A year late, but just thought I'd mention that's plausible. In the 1960s there were a few notable air disasters in Australia involving Viscount planes, killing dozens of people. Not sure when the Light up a Viscount ads would have been aired - obviously well before my time - but that scenario isn't out of the realm of possibility.

http://www.mediaspy....-logies-tweets/

this is brilliant news! Perhaps instead of deriding MTR a few weeks back she should have taken up their offer of a job! Or what's more hilarious, if she queues up for a job at the Herald Sun - the very newspaper she usually derides her critics of being readers of! :cool:

I'm also not greatly saddened by her departure. I skip over her articles by habit these days.

OFFLINE   TGIF #92

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:53 AM

I don't think she'll be greatly missed - the logies tweets, and the Anzac Day ones before them were pretty poorly judged.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #93

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,278 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

She's always struck me as the Andrew Bolt of the left, so for that reason alone it won't bother me that she's gone.
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Firetorch #94

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

I can't believe she is described as a comedian. Her articles were always nasty. People like her should not be employed to spread their opinions.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #95

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

She's always struck me as the Andrew Bolt of the left, so for that reason alone it won't bother me that she's gone.

I wouldn't even put her in that sort of category. Bolt, regardless of any endemic narrow-mindedness, is good at forming opinions and telegraphing them as arguments; Deveny, on the other hand, lacks the knowledge, skill or humour to make any contribution to any field of public debate. As Firetorch says, she relies purely on being nasty - that's about it.

OFFLINE   TGIF #96

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

The article about Chadstone was probably the straw that broke the camel's back for me - so mean spirited and just unpleasant when there are a lot of people out there who are able to poke fun at the sort of thing while at least maintaining a degree of empathy and good humour.

OFFLINE   honesty #97

• 215 posts since
  • July 2007

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Liberal media are so sensitive about protecting their own ass. She deserved to go.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #98

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

ZOMG - RELAUNCH! The Saturday edition of The Age gets a masthead change and redesign from next month.

The Spy Report:

Fairfax's Melbourne broadsheet The Age announced this afternoon that it will be relaunching its Saturday edition, giving it a new masthead - The Saturday Age - and a new look from next month.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #99

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,227 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

I guess the Saturday edition is due for a relaunch as its circulation is declining, but still the news of the relaunch date surprised me. So from February we will have three distinct versions of The Age: the weekday edition, The Saturday Age and The Sunday Age. Fairfax must have realised that it can't rely on the classifieds to bring in readers anymore.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #100

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,227 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Neil Mitchell said at the end of his morning program on 3AW today that he believed Andrew Rule, senior journalist at The Age and co-author of several books of the Underbelly series, had been poached by the Herald Sun. Mitchell added that Rule resigned this morning and not many people at The Age knew about the poaching.