Packed to the Rafters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1895 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   feralflea #1501

• 1,500 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

7 mave mucked PTTR around too much with series broken into several tranches and consequently treating the viewer with contempt by not letting storylines culminate naturally.

Add that to the natural rise and fall of all shows like this, and its demise is inevitable, but it won't necessarily be speedy.
  • PTTR has limited characters so there is only so much you can do to them and have the script remain credible.
  • When faced with tired characters the writers usually lose their mojo.
  • Hideous characters, such as the John Howard character, are inevitably introduced and end upsetting the feel that made the show successful in the first place.
  • Introduction of babies is usually a desperate step (although the intro of baby Rafter wasn't as bad as it could have been).
  • Ludicrus script scenario's such as Carbo's secret marriage begin to creep in.
  • Popular cast members leave to try and make their new-found fame work for them in other arenas.
Basically, the show has lost its schtick ..

Yes, it's still watchable, but it is no longer a must see ........ if there's something fresher or more interesting on, viewers will begin to gravitate to alternatives.

It also highlights the common mistake made by most TV producers. That is when a show is initially successful.......flog it to death .... stretch it out, series after series until it dies a slow and miserable death.

PTTR would have made a great program if it was limited to 2 series - that's about what the concept merited. We never let anything die with dignity in Australia. We never leave the audience in raptures, asking for more.

Edited by feralflea, 15 February 2012 - 05:09 PM.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #1502

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nothing ever happens in the show. The actors real private lives seem more eventful than their characters. Must be some kind of first for a soap.

Where are the game-changing season finales and shock events that you don't see coming.

OFFLINE   -David- #1503

• 3,982 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Mel's death
Sammy's departure. She left Nathan, we weren't to know she was leaving the show
Julie being pregnant at that age
Dave's real father being a con

Ten News

Wake Up || Studio 10 || Ten News at Five || The Project || Ten Late News || The Bolt Report || Meet the Press

OFFLINE   J Bar #1504

• 15,083 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

So much criticism but people are forgetting that this is still a very popular and high-rating show. How many other shows are rating 1.4m or more, these days?
J Bar

OFFLINE   JackMelbTV #1505

• 4,804 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Replays:

7TWO: Sunday 19th @ 4:30pm
7: Tuesday 21st @ 12pm

Edited by jackie01, 17 February 2012 - 07:31 AM.

OFFLINE   Bergoine #1506

• 1,379 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

7 mave mucked PTTR around too much with series broken into several tranches and consequently treating the viewer with contempt by not letting storylines culminate naturally.

Add that to the natural rise and fall of all shows like this, and its demise is inevitable, but it won't necessarily be speedy.

• PTTR has limited characters so there is only so much you can do to them and have the script remain credible.
  • When faced with tired characters the writers usually lose their mojo.
  • Hideous characters, such as the John Howard character, are inevitably introduced and end upsetting the feel that made the show successful in the first place.
  • Introduction of babies is usually a desperate step (although the intro of baby Rafter wasn't as bad as it could have been).
  • Ludicrus script scenario's such as Carbo's secret marriage begin to creep in.
  • Popular cast members leave to try and make their new-found fame work for them in other arenas.
Basically, the show has lost its schtick ..

Yes, it's still watchable, but it is no longer a must see ........ if there's something fresher or more interesting on, viewers will begin to gravitate to alternatives.

It also highlights the common mistake made by most TV producers. That is when a show is initially successful.......flog it to death .... stretch it out, series after series until it dies a slow and miserable death.

PTTR would have made a great program if it was limited to 2 series - that's about what the concept merited. We never let anything die with dignity in Australia. We never leave the audience in raptures, asking for more.

I reckon give it another 4 or 5 seasons, as long as it rates Seven won't cut it anytime soon. The departure of major cast members is concerning, especially if the replacements are less than impressive but so far it is managing fine. Will be interesting to see if Nine's alternative can pull viewers away or not.

Edited by Bergoine, 17 February 2012 - 07:53 AM.

OFFLINE   J Bar #1507

• 15,083 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

If Seven go straight into season 5 after these episodes end, Tricky Business will struggle.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Mr. J #1508

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

God I hope they don't go straight into season 5. I think they need to take a whole year off, let people miss it, then do a relaunch in 2013. That wont happen but just sayin.

Also AGT will probably return to Tues, and take priority, so unless it goes to 9:30 it will have to move nights, which will be a disaster.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #1509

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

God I hope they don't go straight into season 5. I think they need to take a whole year off, let people miss it, then do a relaunch in 2013. That wont happen but just sayin.

Also AGT will probably return to Tues, and take priority, so unless it goes to 9:30 it will have to move nights, which will be a disaster.

A year off after playing out eight episodes this year? Seems way over the top.

Let it rest for the year until August and then just play out the whole season from there. The program needs more than a promotional boost if it wants some of that former glory back.

OFFLINE   Matlock #1510

• News Contributor

• 6,184 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

A year off after playing out eight episodes this year? Seems way over the top.

Let it rest for the year until August and then just play out the whole season from there. The program needs more than a promotional boost if it wants some of that former glory back.

And the heavy promotion during the Australian Open and My Kitchen Rules didn't give the show any exposure... Face it- this show has lost its 'mojo.'

OFFLINE   Racer25 #1511

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

And the heavy promotion during the Australian Open and My Kitchen Rules didn't give the show any exposure... Face it- this show has lost its 'mojo.'

Too many cast changes in a short period of time. Program isn't attracting the audience it once did.

That said, if Rafters is struggling along, Tricky Business will bomb.

OFFLINE   -David- #1512

• 3,982 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Anyone else think that part of the reason Packed to the Rafters wasn't on much last year was so that it didn't look like Ben moved on from Mel too quick? Yeah she died a year and a bit ago (our time) but if the episodes aired in intended order last year in Feb, Ben would be with Emma like 5 or 6 months after Mel's death. A bit unrealistic if that were to happen.

Ten News

Wake Up || Studio 10 || Ten News at Five || The Project || Ten Late News || The Bolt Report || Meet the Press

OFFLINE   Mr. J #1513

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

The reason it was held over was because there wasn't enough ratings weeks to finish the season and they figured it was better to cut it early and air 7 eps in 2012 rather that run till the end of ratings and air only 4 episodes.

OFFLINE   J Bar #1514

• 15,083 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Anyone else think that part of the reason Packed to the Rafters wasn't on much last year was so that it didn't look like Ben moved on from Mel too quick? Yeah she died a year and a bit ago (our time) but if the episodes aired in intended order last year in Feb, Ben would be with Emma like 5 or 6 months after Mel's death. A bit unrealistic if that were to happen.

It may have been a factor because there was some criticism when the show started at the start of 2011 that Ben looked like he was moving on too soon. Perhaps they should have had a decent skip in the timeline between the two seasons. Say, pick up the action nine or twelve months later.
J Bar

OFFLINE   -David- #1515

• 3,982 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

It may have been a factor because there was some criticism when the show started at the start of 2011 that Ben looked like he was moving on too soon. Perhaps they should have had a decent skip in the timeline between the two seasons. Say, pick up the action nine or twelve months later.

I'm just saying watching it this week (I don't watch repeats of anything so I've not seen the show since Oct) it actually feels right that Ben would be now feeling like he needs to move on. Whereas shows like Home and Away where Charlie died last month, I can see Brax moving on very soon. I just think the break helped me feel like the show was showing the situation as it would in real life.

Ten News

OFFLINE   J Bar #1516

• 15,083 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

It's been more than a year now in real life since Mel's death screened so I can understand how that it would fell alright now.

Edited by J Bar, 18 February 2012 - 06:03 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   -David- #1517

• 3,982 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yeah thats my point. If these episodes aired without the breaks (the one for W&L and then the early finish) it would have probably aired in April/May only 6 months after her death.

Ten News

OFFLINE   Jarrod #1518

• 6,868 posts since
  • August 2006

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hugh Sheridan appears to have given away tonight's outcome, saying we were blessed to have the twins as part of our cast. If it does go that way then rafters has officially jumped the shark.

OFFLINE   -David- #1519

• 3,982 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Surely if Ruby was to die there would have been a big promotional push for it like Mel's death. And plus would they really get rid of the last child of Dave and Julie knowing that Hugh and Nathan were leaving?

Ten News

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1520

• Forum Moderator

• 3,696 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Perhaps the twins are no longer part of the cast because Ruby will have an accelerated growth spurt in the next series, a la half the cast of The Young and the Restless.