Packed to the Rafters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1895 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #1641

• Formerly Mike.S

• 9,904 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I enjoyed tonight's episode,felt sorry for poor love struck Coby ! Next week's episode will be great to watch,will need my tissues watching them heart breaking scenes. :yes:

OFFLINE   J Bar #1642

• 14,889 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Excellent episode again this week. Shame it has to take a break just when it's hitting its strides again.
J Bar

OFFLINE   WAtv #1643

• 2,912 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Agree totally

WaTv

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1644

• Forum Moderator

• 3,667 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

It's looking like season six will be the last with original cast members in talks to return to wrap everything up in a nice bow.

ONLINE   Mr. J #1645

• 9,290 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

Finally. Hopefully it's true.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1646

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,368 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is partly Seven's fault. After the roaring success of the first two seasons, Seven for some reasons split the next three seasons and showed them at different times of the year. No wonder the ratings dropped.

OFFLINE   J Bar #1647

• 14,889 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

This is partly Seven's fault. After the roaring success of the first two seasons, Seven for some reasons split the next three seasons and showed them at different times of the year. No wonder the ratings dropped.

Seven split the seasons, right from the start. It showed the first season at the end of the year and the rest of it at the start of the next year. What Seven should have done is secured the cast in for a longer period so the main family members didn't leave the show so soon. Would have been great to have had the five main Rafters characters for a full five or six seasons.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Travis #1648

• 3,873 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

As much as I expect it to happen, I really hope rafters doesn't wrap anytime soon. Its one of the strongest and best Aussie drama IMO

OFFLINE   J Bar #1649

• 14,889 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I agree it's one of the best written dramas on telly but I'd rather it go out on a high than have it dragged out for too long so that it is a shadow of its former self. Hopefully the producers can then create something new that will be just as good if not better.
J Bar

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #1650

• Forum Administrator

• 11,357 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

What Seven should have done is secured the cast in for a longer period so the main family members didn't leave the show so soon. Would have been great to have had the five main Rafters characters for a full five or six seasons.

not always practical to lock people up into five or six year employment contracts, especially younger actors always looking at that next big break, but really I think a lot of people would be reluctant to enter into such a commitment unless there was big bucks.

And if the show is a dud and canned after six months then the employer has to pay out the remainder of the contracts?

OFFLINE   ryaneco #1651

• 2,942 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I feel it might be time for the show - it has been feeling a little stale. I still enjoy it but it's not as fresh as it used to be and loosing key cast doesn't help.

OFFLINE   J Bar #1652

• 14,889 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

not always practical to lock people up into five or six year employment contracts, especially younger actors always looking at that next big break, but really I think a lot of people would be reluctant to enter into such a commitment unless there was big bucks.

And if the show is a dud and canned after six months then the employer has to pay out the remainder of the contracts?

Maybe not practical to go for the full five years initially but maybe the contracts could be designed so that when the show is a hit, they keep the main cast on long term and provide incentives but if the show flops then they don't have to pay out the remainder of a contract.
J Bar

ONLINE   Mr. J #1653

• 9,290 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

i think it has been reported that the whole cast was signed to 5-7 years from the beginning, as most shows around the world are. stars can only leave if the show agrees to negotiate the contract. if the show is axed they don't get paid out they just stop getting paid.

i don't think the splitting the seasons was the reason for the decline. the show always finished with a proper midseason final. the show was stable for years, then jessica marais left followed by about 4 few dud episodes which shaved about 3-400k off, which never returned, but the show has been stable since then.

remember season 6 will probably run well into 2014, if it is ending it still has a while to go.

OFFLINE   J Bar #1654

• 14,889 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

i think it has been reported that the whole cast was signed to 5-7 years from the beginning, as most shows around the world are. stars can only leave if the show agrees to negotiate the contract. if the show is axed they don't get paid out they just stop getting paid.

That's the way it works in America but not the rest of the world. With Packed to the Rafters, there had been speculation about cast not returning for season two even before season one finished. I remember reading somewhere that Erik Thomson said he didn't want to get tied down to one role for too long but then after he started a family he was quoted as saying that he'd be happy to stay as long as the quality of the show continued to be high. It was big news when they all signed up for season two but then they didn't all sign up for season three.

Jess McNamee was convinced to return for the start of a new season so that her character had a proper send off and the series wouldn't suffer. Zoe Ventoura let producers know she wasn't returning for the following season so her character was killed off before the end of that season. Jess Marais had signed for a full season but the producers agreed to let her quit because of the role she scored overseas, as long as she filmed a couple of scenes to insert in future episodes. Angus McLaren had time off from the current season but will be coming back while, Hugh Sheridan was in at the start of that season but will then go off for a while.

There's no way they all had five season contracts and Seven allowed them all to break their contracts.

Edited by J Bar, 10 August 2012 - 03:34 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   BJT #1655

• 3,629 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I really can’t see Winners and Losers filling the gap though... I was surprised that show got a 3rd season last week. I do feel Seven need to head away from these feel good soap dramas and maybe invest into a hospital or police drama. The TV market comes in waves and at the moment both these genres are not on our screens and haven’t been for awhile.

OFFLINE   serialbather #1656

• 56 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

I believe they all signed 3 year contracts initiially and then extensions were negotiated on an individual basis. It all happens a lot earlier than people think- I heard about Hugh Sheridan leaving about a year before he actually did (so the reports about him being "poached" by Ten were pure hyperbole).

Also, Jessica Marais left the show before she scored a role overseas.

OFFLINE   gossipcom #1657

• 665 posts since
  • November 2004

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Just backing up what serialbather stated it was reported around third season that the contracts were up for renewal then (which fell aroud the time of the end of the third year).

The episodes they're about to start filming won't air until 2013 anyway, so Seven technically won't have to fill the hole until 2014 since they have a drama slate already in the works for 2013.

Edited by gossipcom, 10 August 2012 - 05:16 PM.

OFFLINE   greysfan #1658

• 2,075 posts since
  • July 2007

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

What happened to good long running Aussie drama? I guess thats in the past is it? I mean where is the All Saints, Blue Heelers, McLeods Daughters. Those sort of shows that ran for years. I personally hope Rafters continues but its obvious it won't if rumours are true.

OFFLINE   serialbather #1659

• 56 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I see 2 problems here:

1) A family drama doesn't have the kind of premise that can sustain a long running series. (McLeod's Daughters went on far longer than it should have)

2) Any series that casts early 20-somethings as the main protagonists is going to have trouble holding onto its cast. Especially now that casting directors in the US are so willing to cast a wide net due to the internet and the ease of video screentests for pilots, etc

Edited by serialbather, 12 August 2012 - 02:40 PM.

OFFLINE   cmo #1660

• 6,071 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

What happened to good long running Aussie drama? I guess thats in the past is it? I mean where is the All Saints, Blue Heelers, McLeods Daughters. Those sort of shows that ran for years. I personally hope Rafters continues but its obvious it won't if rumours are true.

The trend worldwide is for short run quality series. The money and audience is not there to sustain a 40 week run year after year.

The HBO/showtime model is very successful and the BBC/ITV generally commission shirt run drama in the UK.

Offspring has been a success with its 13 ep format. To a lesser extent so was Sea Patrol. Hopefully Puberty Blues can sustain an audience as an 8 part series.