Federal Politics

• Please log in to reply
9007 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   icat #6861

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Bob Brown has resigned as leader of the Australian Greens. He will also resign from the Senate. Senator Brown made the shock announcement to his Greens Party colleagues this morning.
"I am sad to leave but happy to go. It is good knowing that the Greens have such a depth of talent and experience lined up for leadership - I could only dream about that a decade ago," Senator Brown said in a statement.

"It is prime time to hand over the reins." Greens deputy leader Christine Milne has just tweeted that she had been elected as the new leader.
"I'm honoured & excited to have been elected leader," Senator Milne wrote. Senator Brown has been a senator for 16 years. He has lead the Australian Greens since the party formed in 1992, seeing the party's vote grow to double figures.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au

I'm a bit surprised. Is he unwell or something happening.

Edited by icat, 13 April 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   PZ. #6862

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,695 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

No need for a Carbon Tax then :)

OFFLINE   Matlock #6863

• News Contributor

• 5,950 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes his resignation will reduce Australia's hot air emissions by 50%.

OFFLINE   jimbo #6864

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm a bit surprised. Is he unwell or something happening.

Can't be unwell. His male partner expects him to go for more long walks and do more house chores :unsure:

Good riddance to him!

OFFLINE   icat #6865

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Have to laugh he inflicts the Carbon Tax on us then does a runner 30 or so days before it comes in.

Edited by icat, 13 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   Moe #6866

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yes, the downside to being an openly gay childless politician is the inability to use the 'spend more time with my family' excuse (I wonder what Julia will say when she has to step down?).

I wonder who they will install as deputy? I'd imagine that ambition would dictate Sarah Hanson-Young for deputy, and I'd think that making Adam Bandt the deputy would be a good way of emphasising being in both chambers.

It's probably about time and good to see someone able to step down as leader with a smooth transition.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #6867

• 4,066 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Well he is 68.. I hope I'm not still working at that age.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #6868

• 19,991 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hockey blasts attitude of 'entitlement'

http://www.smh.com.a...0418-1x7zs.html

The Coalition under Howard was a massive supporter of middle class welfare. I'd love Hockey to say this to the 'battlas' out in Western Sydney!

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #6869

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hockey blasts attitude of 'entitlement'

http://www.smh.com.a...0418-1x7zs.html

The Coalition under Howard was a massive supporter of middle class welfare. I'd love Hockey to say this to the 'battlas' out in Western Sydney!

My thoughts exactly on reading this - It doesn't apply to middle or upper class welfare of which the Howard Government was a huge supporter. I really can't imagine a future coalition government cutting private school funding, the private health insurance rebate or family tax benefits to high earners. But I can certainly see them wreaking Medicare, cutting infrastructure development and subsidised education. The problem with the Tories is that they refuse to see welfare as a means for people to get out of the poverty trap. Instead they continue espousing this idea that we should be punishing poor people for being poor because somehow it's all their fault the government wastes money on subsidies for miners, foreign car companies and pointless wars.

Unfortunately the subtext is really all about protecting entitlement for those who already have money and property while punishing Howard's "battlers"...

OFFLINE   bambbbam #6870

• 4,066 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Unfortunately the subtext is really all about protecting entitlement for those who already have money and property while punishing Howard's "battlers"...

I don't see it like that.. as you say, Howard was the one who massively expanded the welfare net, the ALP have added to it with things like the Education Tax Refund.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #6871

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

It is also very misleading from Hockey. Some of the strongest economies in the world are high-taxing welfare states (Germany, Scandinavian countries etc). To think that we should follow "Hong Kong" and create a society that has one of the biggest gaps between rich and poor and major criminal/corruption problems is just a crazy idea. I notice Hockey fails to mention any things he would like to cut (and I guess it would be crazy to do so when they keep coming up with new welfare proposals all the time).

I agree that things need to be means-tested but I also think spending money on Health, Education, renewable-energy and world-leading broadband internet are investments. For me, the Coalitions main goal is to let big mining companies run-amok doing whatever they like to the economy, sending profits oversees and avoiding tax.

OFFLINE   Con #6872

• 1,704 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I fear for Australia under the Tory clowns. All the gains Labor have made over the last 4 years in Government will needlessly be reversed.

OFFLINE   Moe #6873

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I fear for the day you get to vote.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #6874

• 4,066 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

We say that with every govt, but to be honest not much changes really when they change.

Nowadays the economy turns far more on international trends and global events - the only lever the Fed Govt has is adjusting interest rates and even that is now simply ignored by the banks,

I'm not a big fan of Abbott or the ALP although I do admire Turnbull, Joe Hockey and Bob Carr and I've read the Greens policies and while I agree with some (legalise IT!) most of them quite frankly terrify me.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #6875

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

We say that with every govt, but to be honest not much changes really when they change.

:thumbsup: Someone with sense.

OFFLINE   newtaste #6876

• News Contributor

• 5,040 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Guess we'll hear Julia Gillard saying she has full confidence in Peter Slipper, just like she has full confidence in Craig Thomson ...

OFFLINE   jezza #6877

• Chief Administrator

• 682 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Getting tweets suggesting there is a common funding pool supporting Slipper's and Thomson's accusers. Also double entendres, double crosses and plenty of intrigue......will someone's arse be left swinging in the breeze?

Chief Administrator

Media Spy

www.mediaspy.org

jezza@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   newtaste #6878

• News Contributor

• 5,040 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Getting tweets suggesting there is a common funding pool supporting Slipper's and Thomson's accusers. Also double entendres, double crosses and plenty of intrigue......will someone's arse be left swinging in the breeze?

Interesting.

Most of the explosive revelations about Craig Thomson and Michael Williamson have been reported by Kate McClymont the SMH crime journo.

ONLINE   JackMelbTV #6879

• Media Vault Contributor

• 4,523 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Peter Slipper has stood aside as Speaker of the House of Representatives.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #6880

• 4,066 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Interesting article on Peter Slipper

http://www.mamamia.c...-peter-slipper/