Federal Politics

• Please log in to reply
9007 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   NewsKing #6901

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,714 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Craig Thomson leaving the labor party and going to sit as an independent.

OFFLINE   icat #6902

• 7,142 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just another Labor stooge on the side.
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   jimbo #6903

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Can we pleaasse have an election and get this farce over with! So over Federal Parliament now.

I know I am wasting my breath in asking though because the ALP and Windsor/Oakeshott will hold on for as long as they can, believing in the non existant possibility that they can come back and save themselves from annihilation. Yet chances are by holding off, more sagas will arise/the current ones will keep going and they will lose even more votes by waiting until 2013!

Edited by jimbo, 30 April 2012 - 01:52 PM.

OFFLINE   Mike #6904

• 18,434 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

How stupid would our system be if we just had an election whenever we wanted. There would always be half the country wanting one every other week.

OFFLINE   Matlock #6905

• News Contributor

• 6,012 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

How stupid would our system be if we just had an election whenever we wanted. There would always be half the country wanting one every other week.

It might not be a good idea under normal circumstances, however I think many people are simply over Labor going from crisis to crisis.

OFFLINE   jimbo #6906

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

whenever we wanted.

And clearly this is not just any old period in Australian politics, Mike

OFFLINE   Firetorch #6907

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I know I am wasting my breath in asking though because the ALP and Windsor/Oakeshott will hold on for as long as they can, believing in the non existant possibility that they can come back and save themselves from annihilation. Yet chances are by holding off, more sagas will arise/the current ones will keep going and they will lose even more votes by waiting until 2013!

Have those two stated their intentions to run again at the next election?

If so, I can't wait to see those clowns dumped with record swings! How ridiculous that this whole political mess is down to those two...how, being in conservative electorates, you could support a party which dumped a first term PM just a few weeks before is unbelievable!

OFFLINE   Big Dan #6908

• 18,475 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Again, may I point out my services as El Presidente of Australia are available, since neither Gillard and Abbott can't be trusted. :laugh: At least you know I've had a dodgy past. :thumbsup: :laugh:
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #6909

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Can we pleaasse have an election and get this farce over with! So over Federal Parliament now.

Government-wants-to-serve-out-its-term shocker. Reminds of those commentators in New South Wales who were asserting a few years ago that fixed terms (introduced with the overwhelming support of NSW voters) needed to be ditched, because such a step would somehow have brought down the then-Labor government sooner.

OFFLINE   cmo #6910

• 5,946 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

People can carry on all they like about a new election to boot the government...but when push comes to shove the alternative is far far worse and will relegate Australia back to the dark ages.

OFFLINE   jimbo #6911

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

People can carry on all they like about a new election to boot the government...but when push comes to shove the alternative is far far worse and will relegate Australia back to the dark ages.

Doesn't look like the electorate agrees with you mate! Most comments I see from people are rightfully along the lines of 'no government could be more incapable than the one we've got'!

And let's see if all the fear mongering from the lefties about how bad Abbott will be really turns out to be material when he's elected...I bet it won't! And thats the funny thing, the lefties predicting how bad an Abbott government would be when he has not even served a day. Chrystal ball?

once the Alp are out, they won't be back for a loooong time. Expect a lengthy Abbott reign.

OFFLINE   cmo #6912

• 5,946 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

That's not a good thing. Abbott is a nut. And so are his cronies. They are all as bad as each other. 11 years of Howard was horrendous. And Abbott will be worse. No Costello there to make him look good. The Libs are as bad as the republicans in the Sates. And any party that has supporters like reinhart, palmer, jones, hadley, bolt et al can go to fuckin hell for all I care. All vile human beings.

OFFLINE   Moe #6913

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Before Abbott would be able to get a Senate supporting his agenda, the shine would well and truly be off an Abbott government. Because the seeing out the term and hoping everyone realises Abbott is terrible tactic hasn't worked, Gillard should call a snap election for the last date on which it would only be a House of Representatives election (27th July 2013 - though right off the back of the budget might be better), so that the shitstorm waiting for Labor at the next election is contained to one house, then about a year and a half later, there would be either a half-senate only election, or a regular House of Reps/Half Senate one, hopefully with a calmed down electorate having faced the reality of Tony Abbott as PM before ticking the 'potentially give him control of the upper house' box. Only after this point would the double dissolution card be in play, as the timing doesn't work such to make it happen any other way, the time it would take to cause a trigger in the first Abbott Government would bring them too close to half-senate elections for one to be practical and then there would be the time for the new Senate to take its seat followed by the time for it to create another trigger.

This would at least take us into about 2015, which is also past the election tests for all the new Coalition state Governments - which will help build some anti-Coalition sentiment in the community.

Of course if this isn't all combined with genuine structural and policy change in Labor, it is all for nothing, but it is the only way I can see out of the otherwise inevitable prolonged Abbott Government, combined with lowering the chance of Senate majority.

OFFLINE   jimbo #6914

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

11 years of Howard was horrendous.

Feel free to sit in the minority again then !

OFFLINE   Aslan #6915

• 1,950 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Liberal advisor Grahame Morris has said on Sky News that PM Julia Gillard 'should be kicked to death'. Bloody disgusting!!! If Abbott wishes to maintain a shred of credibility he MUST lose his job swiftly.
Do that sexy thing you do with your tongue. Yeah. Talk intelligently and at length. Reow

OFFLINE   cmo #6916

• 5,946 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Feel free to sit in the minority again then !

He was widely hated and despised in the community. He suffered from having his head up his own arsehole on a regular basis. He set the social conscience of the nation back 50 years. Costello made him look good.

Edited by cmo, 30 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

OFFLINE   cmo #6917

• 5,946 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Liberal advisor Grahame Morris has said on Sky News that PM Julia Gillard 'should be kicked to death'. Bloody disgusting!!! If Abbott wishes to maintain a shred of credibility he MUST lose his job swiftly.

Seems like the usual hysterics are at play again with these right wing morons. The hypocrisy of these people is astounding.

OFFLINE   Matlock #6918

• News Contributor

• 6,012 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

He was widely hated and despised in the community. He suffered from having his head up his own arsehole on a regular basis. He set the social conscience of the nation back 50 years. Costello made him look good.

Really? If he was HATED by the community, why was he re-elected so many times? And, no, Clive Palmer/Kerry Packer buying votes/lobbying Canberra is not an excuse...

OFFLINE   Moe #6919

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

He lost the first election on 2PP, Boat People won him the 2001 election, Latham being worse won it for him in 2004 and he lost in 2007.

However the Coalition are most concerned about learning the lesson from 1993, don't campaign on genuine policy differences.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #6920

• 4,068 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

these right wing morons.

Don't worry, there are more than enough morons in politics to keep both sides full.