Fairfax Media

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   7HD #21

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Why dose Fairfax still insist in still having the SMH and The Age as a broadsheet, for the 21st century media organizations have get with the times why can't they change the size to either match the USA today which is of similar style or opt for the compact style which is the size of The Herald Sun in melbourne

those two i have read and i find them quite easy to read which ever way possible.

OFFLINE   TGIF #22

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

The Herald Sun is a tabloid, in every sense of the word..I'd like something Guardian-sized (Berliner, I think it's called).

OFFLINE   Mike #23

• 18,430 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Well if The Age did change to compact size - I doubt very much the size of the paper effects the quality. It just means to don't suffocate to death underneath sheets of paper.

When The Geelong Advertiser changed to compact a few years back it was a welcome change... although News Corp then bought it. So maybe not! silly.gif

OFFLINE   LocalRadio #24

• 1,081 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

The Daily Advertiser has changed it's format to The Border Mails format since the printing was moved from Wagga Wagga to Albury. New format (well it's an old format Fairfax) sucks. Graphics always covers-up the text and the front page has gone from having 2 to 3 headline stories to one!

Edited by LocalRadio, 22 August 2008 - 10:05 PM.

OFFLINE   7HD #25

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Aug 22 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if The Age did change to compact size - I doubt very much the size of the paper effects the quality. It just means to don't suffocate to death underneath sheets of paper.

When The Geelong Advertiser changed to compact a few years back it was a welcome change... although News Corp then bought it. So maybe not! silly.gif

I was thinking that beacuse if the size dose change quality stays the same, how ever readership will likely increase due to it being easy to handle and read while on public transport.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #26

• 7,136 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

Apparently the costs are too prohibitive for such a change to happen to the papers these days - it's why they didn't do the slimmed down version this year like they were going to.

And considering the papers are only 20% of Fairfax's profits these days (and circulation is a very minimal revenue source), it's not going to happen.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   franco #27

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

Nice to note the deafening silence over the announcement to cull the SMH herd by 500 or so this morning. Those are jobs you won't be able to get, kiddies......

Edited by franco, 27 August 2008 - 04:38 PM.

OFFLINE   icat #28

• 7,136 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

It's about time The Age got a make-over and start by getting rid of the broadsheet style. Far too hard to read in a train and thats probably one of the big reasons why The HeraldSun sells well in the mornings in Melbourne.
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   PZ. #29

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,705 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

The age believe the broadsheet style is the way of the future....

"The age...available in widescreen" silly.gif

OFFLINE   franco #30

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

Gosh folks, still no comments on the implications of Fairfax cutting 500 jobs? Well, I guess that shows just how many opinionated 16 year-olds inhabit this site. Lots of views about page formats and televisual graphics but little if anything about the industry itself - you'll all look good serving burgers and fries or haunting Centrelink, brains firmly set in neutral as you wait for the next big singing sensation...

OFFLINE   Media Munger #31

• 3,270 posts since
  • June 2006

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 27 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gosh folks, still no comments on the implications of Fairfax cutting 500 jobs? Well, I guess that shows just how many opinionated 16 year-olds inhabit this site. Lots of views about page formats and televisual graphics but little if anything about the industry itself - you'll all look good serving burgers and fries or haunting Centrelink, brains firmly set in neutral as you wait for the next big singing sensation...

That attitude won't get you anywhere on here.

OFFLINE   Cop This #32

• 248 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 27 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes but analysis of Fairfax would, for the most part, involve people reading and I think we both know the likelyhood of that - unless of course it's the latest website on pixel positioning or uber set design.
laugh.gif

Edited by Cop This, 28 August 2008 - 07:12 AM.

OFFLINE   franco #33

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (Cop This @ Aug 28 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah yes but analysis of Fairfax would, for the most part, involve people reading and I think we both know the likelyhood of that - unless of course it's the latest website on pixel positioning or uber set design.
laugh.gif

Bless you, Cop This - you've hit the nail on the head and most of the kiddies here dithering away don't have Clue One. None of them can claim to be interested in the media - print or otherwise - if they don't see the whittling away of media jobs as cause for concern.

And as for you ATM, consider yourself slapped.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #34

• Forum Administrator

• 11,154 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 28 2008, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bless you, Cop This - you've hit the nail on the head and most of the kiddies here dithering away don't have Clue One. None of them can claim to be interested in the media - print or otherwise - if they don't see the whittling away of media jobs as cause for concern.

And as for you ATM, consider yourself slapped.

his name is ATNI and we'll do the slapping around here mischievous.gif

OFFLINE   franco #35

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Aug 28 2008, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
his name is ATNI and we'll do the slapping around here mischievous.gif

ATM, ATNI, Cream Cheese Pie - call him what you will but if you think you're up to doing a bit of manly slapping, go right ahead. And after that, tell me what you think of the Fairfax cull. If you fancy a job in the media, how do you feel about the numbers being pulled back significantly? Or would you rather just sit around on this website and then doing your homework because Mummy told you so...

OFFLINE   Splashmo #36

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 28 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ATM, ATNI, Cream Cheese Pie - call him what you will but if you think you're up to doing a bit of manly slapping, go right ahead. And after that, tell me what you think of the Fairfax cull. If you fancy a job in the media, how do you feel about the numbers being pulled back significantly? Or would you rather just sit around on this website and then doing your homework because Mummy told you so...

I suggest that YOU tell us what you think of the jobs cull, and stop goading our members.

OFFLINE   SydneySider #37

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of mention about the Fairfax cull too...although these forums sway more towards broadcast than print.

550 jobs is disgraceful...but of course it will come back to bite them. I've heard plenty of stories in the past from previous culls. They culled heaps of their sub editors and they had no one to sub one of their papers one week that they actually had to bring a couple of them back...and of course the subs demanded more pay to be brought back so they ended up paying them more money compared with before they sacked them.

It's definitely not good for up and comers wanting to get into journalism - it's quite depressing really. Especially considering they're now not only in print but broadcast as well. Let's hope they're not next.

OFFLINE   TGIF #38

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

They are spread across Australia and NZ - I think that's been glossed over a little - but all the same it's pretty dramatic, something like 360 jobs here. Obviously a lot of the cuts were from areas that they want to outsource, but what about the others - how's that going to affect their ability to cover things?

OFFLINE   SydneySider #39

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (TGIF @ Aug 28 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are spread across Australia and NZ - I think that's been glossed over a little - but all the same it's pretty dramatic, something like 360 jobs here. Obviously a lot of the cuts were from areas that they want to outsource, but what about the others - how's that going to affect their ability to cover things?

It hasn't been glossed over at all...550 jobs in Australia + NZ is terrible.

It's not very good for staff morale...

OFFLINE   bacco007 #40

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,173 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

While its sad that there are going to be cuts, the reality of the situation is that newspaper readership is on the slow decline and there is a growing market of people who dont really care about real investigative journalism and care about what colour Britney Spears jacket buttons are.