Fairfax Media

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TGIF #41

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Aug 28 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It hasn't been glossed over at all...550 jobs in Australia + NZ is terrible.

It's not very good for staff morale...
No I mean as in, it sounds like they're only in Austraila. But either way is no good at all.

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #42

• 5,519 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (bacco007 @ Aug 28 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While its sad that there are going to be cuts, the reality of the situation is that newspaper readership is on the slow decline and there is a growing market of people who dont really care about real investigative journalism and care about what colour Britney Spears jacket buttons are.

Well I agree with you but it's hard to have real investigative journalism when the given newspaper (or media outlet) is controlled by a corporation that has it's own agenda in ensuring that some things are not investigated... not picking on fairfax in particular but they really need to decide to a trashy media company that only has what colour Brittany's shoe laces are or be a real media outlet that does not take orders (or perhaps is not ordered by) the heavies in Fairfax management.

Going on a rant a little bit, but this is why the ABC is always accused of bias as they exhibit stories that the corporately controlled mediums are not allowed to so people think that the ABC must be slanting things as the "other" mediums and outlets aren't showing a given story or viewpoint.

OFFLINE   TGIF #43

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

That's a good point. Someone was arguing in a book I read the other day that people often put the same expectations on 'quality broadsheets' like the Age, SMH, etc as they do upon the ABC - which is flattering in some senses (they identify with the paper and so on) but also means that they tend to forget they are still commercial entities that need to make money.

OFFLINE   franco #44

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Splashmo @ Aug 28 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suggest that YOU tell us what you think of the jobs cull, and stop goading our members.

Considering some of the waffle that gets tossed about on this site, goading the poor lambs over failing to discuss a serious issue is quite a minor thing by comparison. But, Splashmo, since you asked....the current jobs cull sucks big-time. The big dailies all have periodic culls, aimed mostly at getting rid of the overpaid senior types because it's a lot cheaper to have the work done by a cheaper lower grade. But things are now getting to the stage where mobs like Fairfax aren't even doing much in the way of trainees/cadets. Subs, who used to be kept to polish juniors' stories, are also going out to pasture. So who the hell will be writing stories and asking question. Media by press release, I suppose.

Our society is being dumbed-down no matter how much that is denied. The assumption is that we want to be entertained and not informed because being informed implies that we might want to think about our lot in life when the people in power want us to be happy and diverted battery hens.

Goading the lambs here is the same as goading the general population out there - it's what journo's do, or should do. And that includes you Splashmo.

Edited by franco, 28 August 2008 - 11:04 PM.

OFFLINE   Cop This #45

• 248 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 28 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cream Cheese Pie....

Mmmmm cream cheese pie....

I also thought the departure of Andrew Jaspan was interesting... the news release was full of praise for him (no suprises there) but it seems a little strange that they got rid of him after he'd done all the crap and things seemed like they were starting to settle down... or were they?

OFFLINE   PZ. #46

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,695 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 28 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering some of the waffle that gets tossed about on this site, goading the poor lambs over failing to discuss a serious issue is quite a minor thing by comparison.
<snip>
Goading the lambs here is the same as goading the general population out there - it's what journo's do, or should do. And that includes you Splashmo.

Speak for yourself crazy.gif

People care less and less about newspapers these days, it's a no-brainer, really.

OFFLINE   franco #47

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Aug 28 2008, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speak for yourself crazy.gif

People care less and less about newspapers these days, it's a no-brainer, really.

I am speaking for myself, Powerzone, believe me. And it's so apt that you talk about a "no-brainer". Newspapers can carry lies and bullshit as much as TV and the Net but there's an element of trust which I don't find in electronic media, especially the Net, where any bugger can tell a whopper or make mistakes and swear that what they say is legit. Newspapers are more considered in their delivery and have more information, in turn allowing readers to mull over what's being put in front of them. Electronically, any old crap will do - as you say, it's a no-brainer, which makes you a happy battery hen, producing and consuming for minimum wages and being untroubled by actually thinking.

OFFLINE   PZ. #48

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,695 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (franco @ Aug 29 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am speaking for myself, Powerzone, believe me. And it's so apt that you talk about a "no-brainer". Newspapers can carry lies and bullshit as much as TV and the Net but there's an element of trust which I don't find in electronic media, especially the Net, where any bugger can tell a whopper or make mistakes and swear that what they say is legit. Newspapers are more considered in their delivery and have more information, in turn allowing readers to mull over what's being put in front of them. Electronically, any old crap will do - as you say, it's a no-brainer, which makes you a happy battery hen, producing and consuming for minimum wages and being untroubled by actually thinking.

No need to do too much thinking to conclude that Fairfax - like any large company that answers to shareholders - has decided to stop blowing money on a dying readership market.

The same thing is happening in radio....where were you when I broke that story? Or does radio not interest you? Does that put you into the same group of opinionated 16 year-olds all looking good serving burgers and fries or haunting Centrelink, brains firmly set in neutral as you wait for the next big singing sensation???

Fairfax is hardly a company that you would trust when it comes to "lies and bullshit" - newspaper or internet....

I will admit though the newspaper comes in handy at lunchtime.......... gives me somewhere to put my chips... hyper.gif

Would you like fries with that? scratchchin.gif

OFFLINE   franco #49

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Aug 29 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need to do too much thinking to conclude that Fairfax - like any large company that answers to shareholders - has decided to stop blowing money on a dying readership market.

The same thing is happening in radio....where were you when I broke that story? Or does radio not interest you? Does that put you into the same group of opinionated 16 year-olds all looking good serving burgers and fries or haunting Centrelink, brains firmly set in neutral as you wait for the next big singing sensation???

Fairfax is hardly a company that you would trust when it comes to "lies and bullshit" - newspaper or internet....

I will admit though the newspaper comes in handy at lunchtime.......... gives me somewhere to put my chips... hyper.gif

Would you like fries with that? scratchchin.gif

You put your chips on newsprint!? I thought that was now illegal, as well as unhealthy, or are you talking about newsprint rather than newspapers? At least you didn't call them fries.

You "broke" the dying radio story, eh? That started in earnest years ago so you must be an old fart like me.

The point about all this, Powerzone, is that media is splintering in a serious way - lots of niches catering to assorted tastes and requirements . I doubt that TV or the Net will ever dominate the media market to the exclusion of print or even radio. I don't like to see any niche in media fade away because that's one less outlet for us to speak up against our lords and masters.

Was it the infamous Lord Northcliffe of The Times who said the function of news was to fill the gaps betwe the advertisements? Whoever it was, it's the commercial nature of modern media that owners/proprietors call the shots in their own product and, only fairly, they and their shareholders want to make a quid. But the rank and file journos traditionally slip in something decent and relevant to the people; t'was ever thus and is part of the ongoing struggle between good and evil.

No media outlet is honest and every bugger has his own agenda but shining a light on any sort of skullduggery is often enough tio keep the bastards honest. That's what decent journos do, anyway.

And, yes: I'll have chips, not fries.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #50

• 7,135 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (icat @ Aug 27 2008, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's about time The Age got a make-over and start by getting rid of the broadsheet style. Far too hard to read in a train and thats probably one of the big reasons why The HeraldSun sells well in the mornings in Melbourne.

Not going to happen - too expensive to change the printing machines over.

QUOTE (Cop This @ Aug 28 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also thought the departure of Andrew Jaspan was interesting... the news release was full of praise for him (no suprises there) but it seems a little strange that they got rid of him after he'd done all the crap and things seemed like they were starting to settle down... or were they?

Jaspan was still on the nose, I understand - it was more a "we'll tolerate you until you leave" mentality. At least he tried to fight for increased newsroom resources.

I think it's interesting to note that The Age and Herald Sun aren't really in competition but the SMH and the Daily Tele are.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #51

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

I wonder you cut out the fluff pieces, the style magazines, the what's on guide, the in-depth footy analysis and the motoring section how much actual newspaper would be left over afterward.

I'm guessing about the size of mX
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Tranquility #52

• 7,135 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

mX isn't a newspaper - it's a magazine on newsprint...
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #53

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,266 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Tranquility @ Aug 29 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's worth as much as you pay for it... which is more than can be said for the other two newspapers in this town

And didn't The Age contemplate changing to Tabloid size years back, but those plans were knocked on the head?
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   icat #54

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Tranquility @ Aug 29 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not a really a magazine on newsprint either. If find MX meets the requirements of a train traveller. That the majority of the news items are told in short snippets and the paper can be read within 30 minutes.

Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   icat #55

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Tranquility @ Aug 29 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not going to happen - too expensive to change the printing machines over.

Oh well watch it dwindle down in circulation numbers. Its the sole reason I dont bother with The Age because it is printed in broadsheet format making it a hassle to read on the train.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   PZ. #56

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,695 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

It's even worse when your driving wink.gif

OFFLINE   icat #57

• 7,129 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Aug 29 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's even worse when your driving wink.gif

I hope your not serious with that comment.

I've been thinking about print media in general and wondering how many tonnes of paper the industry consumes in a year. I bet the results would be frightful. They must leave a HUGE paw print on the environment.

Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   PZ. #58

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,695 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

That did cross my mind as well, but I guess it won't take too long for someone to say that without newspapers we would use more electricity.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #59

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,266 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Aug 29 2008, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That did cross my mind as well, but I guess it won't take too long for someone to say that without newspapers we would use more electricity.

Without newspapers, we would use more electricity.

That better, PZ? biggrin.gif
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Dunnersfella #60

• 583 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (icat @ Aug 29 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope your not serious with that comment.

I've been thinking about print media in general and wondering how many tonnes of paper the industry consumes in a year. I bet the results would be frightful. They must leave a HUGE paw print on the environment.

Many people are predicting that we'll all have personal screens in the future. Plug it in, download the paper, read it on the train / at work / with breakfast etc.
They see the iPhone as the start... Amazon have a reader for eBooks you can buy...

But really, a lot of people still love the romance of pouring through newsprint.
But for me, I see newspapers going the way of CD's. Some will continue to crave it, others won't even care that it used to exist.