Fairfax Media

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #121

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

What,again? They redesigned it a few years ago,& waffled the same "first time" twaddle then.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #122

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Fairfax Media has launched free apps for four of its paper websites: The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, Brisbane Times and WA Today, to coincide with the release of Nokia's new N8 smartphone. The apps are featured in one of N8's advertising posters in respective states and can be downloaded at the Ovi Store.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #123

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

McCarthy has resigned, effective immediately: left the company's Pyrmont headquarters this afternoon.

The Spy Report:

Brian McCarthy, the chief executive of Fairfax Media, has surprised the publishing industry by resigning from his position. McCarthy said that he could not commit to another three to five years in the job.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #124

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

McCarthy's resignation came on the same day a confidential report obtained by The Australian found The Age would go into the red in 2011 after losing $101 million in revenue and $68m in profit over the past five years.
The Australian article

The comments posted on the website regarding the article are mostly one-sided, against The Age.
I could not understand why a city of population 4 million cannot sustain two newspaper published by different cities. Just as there is a fierce battle in TV ratings between the five networks, so there must be healthy competition between News Limited and Fairfax. But Fairfax needs to make improvements to its papers to arrest the declining circulation and readership. The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald should include a section dedicated to showbiz and entertainment gossip, something Fairfax is reluctant to do because entertainment gossip is the domain of The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun.

Edited by Johnson28, 06 December 2010 - 08:58 PM.

OFFLINE   newtaste #125

• News Contributor

• 5,266 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald should include a section dedicated to showbiz and entertainment gossip, something Fairfax is reluctant to do because gossip is the domain of The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun.

The SMH has their city gossip column on the back page of the front section and there is a good business gossip column. But yeah, no general entertainment gossip, though The Sun-Herald in Sydney has entertainment gossip on Sunday.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #126

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Two pieces of Fairfax-related news today: (1) Hywood has wasted no time in criticising The Australian for its article yesterday, and (2) Gina Rinehart has bought into Fairfax, although she has not acquired a substantial stake.

The Spy Report:

Fairfax Media's newly-installed acting chief executive has condemned an article published in The Australian yesterday, telling staff that it was an example of "bile" from Fairfax's competitors.

Meanwhile, as chatter about Fairfax's operations continues, it has emerged that Gina Rinehart has dipped into the media company.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #127

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

The Age's long-standing relationship with the Melbourne Comedy Festival has ended. Herald Sun announces on page 2 of today's paper that it will be the festival's new partner to help celebrate its 25th birthday in 2011.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #128

• 4,149 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

Gina Rinehart has bought into Fairfax, although she has not acquired a substantial stake.

Is $50m not substantial? I suppose it depends on the point of view!

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #129

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Is $50m not substantial? I suppose it depends on the point of view!

No, I use that word in a specific sense: "substantial holding" is a term defined in s9 of the Corporations Act. The reason why no official disclosures have been lodged in relation to Rinehart's acquisition is because a two per cent stake is short of the five per cent stake constituting a substantial holding. Under s671B of the Act, a person must lodge an official notice detailing their holding (1) should they acquire a substantial holding (i.e. five per cent), or (2) should they already be a substantial holder who subsequently changes their holding by more than one per cent, or (3) should they be launching a takeover bid.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #130

• 4,149 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

OK Fair Call.

OFFLINE   TJ. #131

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Fairfax Media has ceased publication on its monthly glossy Sport & Style magazine.

http://www.mediaspy....style-magazine/

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #132

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

A rather pointless piece of glossy trash, IMHO - I've almost always chucked it straight onto the waste-paper pile.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #133

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Good riddance to it too.Used to be easy to ignore when it came out on a Thursday & the newsagent left it next to the paper,giving you the choice of picking it up or not.Sticking it in Monday's paper meant it ended up in more hands-briefly.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #134

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I won't say it's a pointless piece of glossy trash, otherwise it won't be enjoying success in France where it is published by L'Equipe.
In general 2010 has been a bad year for Fairfax. Although The Sydney Morning Herald won PANPA newspaper of the year and The Sun-Herald Sunday newspaper of the year, circulations were down across the board (especially at The Sun-Herald and Australian Financial Review, which continues to lose journalists to The Australian), advertisting revenue was down and by December the CEO was gone too. What does Fairfax need to do to be competitive against News Limited again? I suggest The Age and SMH need to include general entertainment gossip in the weekday edition and reduce its focus on political news. And The Age's sport liftout, which has been in its current form since 2004, needs a revamp (and more pages).

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #135

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

<br />I won't say it's a pointless piece of glossy trash, otherwise it won't be enjoying success in France where it is published by L'Equipe.<br />In general 2010 has been a bad year for Fairfax. Although The Sydney Morning Herald won PANPA newspaper of the year and The Sun-Herald Sunday newspaper of the year, circulations were down across the board (especially at The Sun-Herald and Australian Financial Review, which continues to lose journalists to The Australian), advertisting revenue was down and by December the CEO was gone too. What does Fairfax need to do to be competitive against News Limited again? I suggest The Age and SMH need to include general entertainment gossip in the weekday edition and reduce its focus on political news. And The Age's sport liftout, which has been in its current form since 2004, needs a revamp (and more pages).<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Frogs' legs & snails aare quite popular in France too-doesn't mean they are here.

As for yet another relaunch-every single relaunch,or tweaking there of,in the last ten years has been a wrong step IMO.And I seriously doubt I'm Robinson Crusoe there.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #136

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

The Age has quietly launched its iPad app via a full-page ad in today's main paper and Green Guide. However, it is a digital replica of the metro edition (posted at 5am AEDT each day) and is not constantly updated like the four News Limited papers that have iPad apps (Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph, The Courier-Mail and The Advertiser).

Edited by Johnson28, 24 December 2010 - 07:24 AM.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #137

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Yep. Was launched at the weekend, as I recall.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #138

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

The Spy Report:

The mining magnate Gina Rinehart increased her stake in Fairfax Media to around four per cent over the last month, adding to her fledgling interests in the media sector.

OFFLINE   crankymedia #139

• 627 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Has Neil Shoebridge begun writing for 2011 his media articles for the Monday edition of the AFR yet?

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #140

• 11,590 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Has Neil Shoebridge begun writing for 2011 his media articles for the Monday edition of the AFR yet?

Not yet. And I am increasingly worried the media section in the AFR on Mondays is increasingly becoming a one-man show. Fairfax needs someone to help share Neil's workload.