WIN News, NBN News and Imparja News

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4537 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   dk32 #781

• 2,550 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

Mike "I can't read the autocue for shit" Rabbitt

Mike Rabbitt is probably one of the worst presenters I've seen...

He is TERRIBLE at reading the autocue.. and it looks SO obvious.. You can tell he is looking 12 inches above the camera whilst reading it in a completely monotonous tone.

I hear he is also promotions manager or something at NBN (and has been for some time).. Perhaps it's their way of reducing costs - by getting 'behind the scenes' staff to read the news!

I think the NBN 'revamp' is only OK.. it will date quickly though (just like every other refresh NBN makes).. The problem is that they do refreshes too infrequently, and usually not enough is done to keep up the other stations.

If they could have gotten the updated graphics to sync with the latest 'Cool Hand Luke' theme (somehow) then I think it would look & sound 1000% better.
That awkward theme music does so need to go.. REAL BAD..

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #782

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (dk32 @ Mar 17 2006, 09:35 PM)
Mike Rabbitt is probably one of the worst presenters I've seen...

He is TERRIBLE at reading the autocue.. and it looks SO obvious.. You can tell he is looking 12 inches above the camera whilst reading it in a completely monotonous tone.

12 inches above the camera? Is NBN using equipment that old? Surely not!

OFFLINE   Mark #783

• 16,183 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (NewsWorld @ Mar 18 2006, 02:22 AM)
12 inches above the camera? Is NBN using equipment that old? Surely not!

when he comes back I'll cap some of his stuff - trust me, he does seem to read above the camera.

Rabs has been promotions manager for at least 12 years - I was down there in 1994/5 working and he was Promotions Manager then.

OFFLINE   mechsta #784

• 335 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (MJH @ Mar 18 2006, 05:17 AM)
when he comes back I'll cap some of his stuff - trust me, he does seem to read above the camera.

Rabs has been promotions manager for at least 12 years - I was down there in 1994/5 working and he was Promotions Manager then.

And he also helped out with our radio station's coverage of the Bridge to Bridge boat race in November. Did quite a good job of it I thought. It's been a while since I've seen him on TV, so I can't comment on what he looks like on camera.

OFFLINE   Mark #785

• 16,183 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (mechsta @ Mar 18 2006, 07:10 PM)
And he also helped out with our radio station's coverage of the Bridge to Bridge boat race in November.  Did quite a good job of it I thought.  It's been a while since I've seen him on TV, so I can't comment on what he looks like on camera.

he looks fine, especially when wearing his glasses - he just can't read the autocue, and once he fluffs a word or line, he cannot seem to recover from it.

OFFLINE   southeastsa #786

• 600 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

Here is a cap of the WIN News set in Mount Gambier. This is from tonight's SA election coverage on the ABC - crossing to a candidate in Mount Gambier. I would assume that the only suitable studio facilities in Mount Gambier are at WIN Television, hence why the ABC are using them for a live cross.

Attached Files

ONLINE   Squee! #787

• Forum Moderator

• 11,018 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (southeastsa @ Mar 18 2006, 06:20 PM)
Here is a cap of the WIN News set in Mount Gambier.  This is from tonight's SA election coverage on the ABC - crossing to a candidate in Mount Gambier.  I would assume that the only suitable studio facilities in Mount Gambier are at WIN Television, hence why the ABC are using them for a live cross.

Love the random ABC logo stuck right behind him, probably over a giant win logo.. hyper.gif

OFFLINE   southeastsa #788

• 600 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Boochan @ Mar 19 2006, 01:35 AM)
Love the random ABC logo stuck right behind him, probably over a giant win logo..  hyper.gif

No, I don't believe it is covering a WIN logo. It is just a key, as is the background scene - similar to all WIN News sets across Australia.

ONLINE   Squee! #789

• Forum Moderator

• 11,018 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Applications for WIN News WA closed this week. Will be interesting to see how there news product turns out, how it looks and when it starts (I'm still guessing when peoplemeters are introduced in June/July).

I also predict though against the odds, and the fact it will turn out quite weird, that they will shown Ten News at Five, followed by Win News at 6 & ACA at 6:30. Even though this is unconventional, it probably is a certaincy considering the choice to not show any Perth news at all during the commonwealth games because of course, Tens bulletin is 1hr and at 5pm. (TLN/ST at 11pm after the nights coverage is complete) and no news at all during the weekend. I also still think it may have being a better idea (albeit again unconvetional and not like WIN) to do a combined local/national/international, etc bulletin for an Hour at 6, and screen ACA beforehand, with the news using the resources of Ten in Perth and Nine Nationally/Internationally. This skips the STW-9 bickering and keeps sufficient local news in the spectrum. However we all know this wouldn't happen, most unforunately. :sarcastic:

Edited by Boochan, 19 March 2006 - 04:45 PM.

OFFLINE   dk32 #790

• 2,550 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Just noticed on NBN News tonight, despite the 'relaunch', the weather segment is STILL sporting an embedded NBN "Nine dots" logo in the backdrop during the temperature forecasts.... eek.gif tch tch.

OFFLINE   jackjack #791

• 495 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (dk32 @ Mar 19 2006, 05:35 PM)
Just noticed on NBN News tonight, despite the 'relaunch', the weather segment is STILL sporting an embedded NBN "Nine dots" logo in the backdrop during the temperature forecasts....  eek.gif  tch tch.

When Seven went to the plain red logo on news it took Seven Local News' Weather a few weeks longer to change it.

OFFLINE   regionaltv #792

• 3,844 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

On March 26, NBN News will begin a week of special reports looking back over the 44 years of news coverage, featuring the many significant events that have helped shape our lives. The series will recapture events that rattled the world, to tales of humour, personal achievement and tragedy from our own backyard or the far flung corners of the globe.

For more... visit http://www.nbntv.com....php?nPageID=19

OFFLINE   Big Dan #793

• 18,519 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

NBN have started promoting their 20,000th news bulletin, which is next Monday (the 26th)...have a read of the press release from the website:

MEDIA RELEASE

NBN MAKING NEWS AS IT CELEBRATES 20,000 BULLETINS

Australia’s highest rating television station will reach an industry milestone the week starting March 26, 2006 when its award winning news service celebrates its 20,000th bulletin.

On March 26, NBN News will begin a week of special reports looking back over 44 years of news coverage, featuring the many significant events that have helped shape our lives. The series will recapture events that rattled the world, to tales of humour, personal achievement and tragedy from our own backyard or the far flung corners of the globe.

NBN’s commitment to providing the nation’s best news service began on March 4, 1962 when the station’s first news bulletin was aired in Newcastle and the Hunter. A decade later in April, Murray Finlay presented NBN’s first hour of news. Over the years, NBN’s commitment to its local communities has been strongly reflected in its flagship hour-long 6pm weekday news, early news, late news, updates, and weekend bulletins. NBN’s weekday bulletin is the longest running one hour service in Australia.

NBN’s 6pm bulletin now reaches a potential audience in northern NSW of 1.9 million, stretching from the Hawkesbury River to the Gold Coast and as far west as Lightning Ridge, and remains the only news service providing viewers with the best of local, state, national and overseas coverage.

Steering the news through aggregation and into the digital era, Jim Sullivan took on the job in March 1985, and is one of the nation’s longest serving News Directors.

NBN’s News team boasts a loyal frontline. Co-anchor Ray Dinneen, one of Australia’s longest serving news readers, has been in the chair for 30 years guiding generations of viewers through important world and local events. Other news readers including John Church, Melinda Smith and sports presenter, Mike Rabbitt all started with the company more than 20 years ago.

NBN News has provided a solid beginning to the careers of many well known television personalities including David Fordham, Darryl Eastlake and Chris Bath.

During the past two decades, NBN News coverage and documentaries have been recognised nationally, taking out countless prestigious accolades including Walkley, Thorn EMI, Logie and Prodi awards. 60 news staff, including those in front of and behind the camera, work to produce more than 20,000 local news stories a year for a bulletin that continues to increase its market share in a highly competitive industry.

When it really matters, more people turn to NBN News.

-------------------------------------------------------

Behind The NBN News Facts

20,000th News Bulletin will fall on the W/C 26 March 2006.
Australia’s longest running hour news bulletin
First NBN News Reader was Murray Finlay
First News Bulletin was aired on 4th March 1962
First hour of news was in April 1972
Jim Sullivan is the current longest serving News Director commencing on 1 March 1985.

Current News Readers

Ray Dinneen - Trained as an electronics technician in the broadcast industry after leaving school at the end of the Leaving Certificate in 1965. In 1970 became an announcer with the ABC in Melbourne working on both the overseas service, Radio Australia and 3LO in Melbourne presenting news bulletins and light entertainment shows. Ray then decided to try television and went to Wagga as announcer with RVN2, before taking up a similar position with NBN in Newcastle in 1974. Ray became a cadet journalist and co-evening news reader at NBN in 1975 and have remained in that position ever since.

Natasha Beyersdorf - Natasha got her break into journalism in the country music capital of Tamworth, working in a radio . She quickly moved to television with the Prime Network where she forged out a career as a reporter, producer, presenter and eventually a news editor in Newcastle, running a busy newsroom. After a brief stint in Public Relations with Hunter Health, she returned to her first love of TV in 2002, working as a reporter, producer and now is NBN’s 6pm newsreader.

Mike Rabbitt - Joined NBN in 1982 as a Sports Journalist, hosted a sports show "SPORTS CENTRE SATURDAY" and co-host of "SUNDAY SPORTS SHOW. Appointed NBN's Promotion Manager in December 1992. Currently NBN’s Sports Presenter for the 6pm News.

Garry Youngberry – Garry joined NBN in 2001 as NBN’s resident weatherman. Previously he was working for radio stations NXFM and KOFM doing weather and surf reports. He also was a presenter on The Weather Channel.

Melinda Smith - Joined NBN in 1985 as a cadet journalist. Entered Public relations in May, 1988. Joined Radio 2NX, July 1989. Began work at ABC Radio, Newcastle 2NC, Feb 1990 as news and programme presenter. Travelled overseas for 8 months in 1992. Re-joined NBN as journalist and news presenter, Nov 1992.

John Church – John Church started at NBN Television in April 1982. He was first employed as a journalist, after having worked in TV and radio in Newcastle, Tamworth and Tasmania. During his first ten years at NBN, John worked as a reporter, bulletin producer and presenter. He was part of the team which launched NBN's first local breakfast news service. John was also the producer and presenter of NBN's late night current affairs program News Night.

Paul Lobb – From his early days reading the news at Newcastle University radio station 2NUR, and a three year stint behind the mic in Newcastle commercial radio at KOFM and NXFM, Paul began his television career as a reporter with Prime Television in Newcastle. A change of scene took him to the skifields as a snow reporter for a range of networks including NBN, NINE, WIN, FOX, and SKY, before he joined NBN full time when the snow melted in 1998. Since then, Paul has presented regular News, Sport and Weather telecasts, as well as preparing stories as a reporter/ journalist.

Adam McIlrick – Adam was born in Sydney and raised at Umina Beach on the New South Wales Central Coast. It was there he got his start as a sports reporter for NBN's Central Coast News Bureau in 2001. Stints in Tamworth followed before Adam was moved to NBN's head office in Newcastle in 2003, as a news reporter. Since then, Adam's been appearing in the main bulletin and fronting news updates.

Jim Callinan - Born in Scone and raised in Muswellbrook, Jim Callinan graduated from Charles Sturt University - Mitchell before joining NBN TV in NBN’s Tamworth office on November 6th 1995. Two and a-half years later, he moved to the Newcastle office as a news journalist before later taking up the role of sports journalist and presenter. Jim is also a regular contributor to various radio, print and web based media.

Past NBN News Readers include:
Murray Finlay – retired and now lives in Maitland.
Chris Bath - Anchor of a Network Morning News bulletin.
Anna Manzoney – Public Affairs Officer – Community Support at the Department of Immigration – Canberra.
Jodi McKay – Corporate Communications Director at Enigma Advertising – Newcastle, also Chair of Hunter Medical Research Institute and Director of the Institute and Board member of Hunter Manufactures Association.
Helen Kapalos – about to take up position with Channel 10 in Melbourne as news reader for their 5pm bulletin.
Helen Hughes – now a Senior Executive with ABC TV.
Allison Peters – now married and lives in Melbourne.
Vanessa Tresize – currently reads News on Sky.
Tracey Reid – married with three children – now lives in Melbourne.
Robyn Wade – Executive Producer ‘Fresh Cooking’.

Sport Readers
Matthew White –presents the sports segment of Seven News in Sydney. His first move into television came in 1992 when he joined NBN Television as the weekend sports presenter.
Paul Gregg – now reads sport on Sky.
Jonathan Uptin – reads sport in Darwin for 9.
Leigh Maughan – Honorary Secretary International Sport Centre Trust.
Arthur Adams (Silver Fox) – Retired from Sky Channel a couple of years ago.
Daryl Eastlake – Semi retired, lives on the Central Coast – calling the weightlifting at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
Anthony Griffis – Anthony Griffis was born in 1969 in Taree, New South Wales. Since leaving television, he has worked as an artist and freelance writer. He lives on Queensland's Sunshine Coast with his wife Paula and son Sam.
David Fordham – Former 7 Brisbane, now resides at Hope Island on the Gold Coast, freelance commentator – working at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Weather
Des Hart – passed away
Nat Jeffery – currently hosts NBN’s magazine program ‘Today Extra”.

Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   bugz #794

• 2,869 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

Some familiar names there.
Censorship at its finest.

I will now use the site to shamelessly plug my own website and interests.

OFFLINE   Mark #795

• 16,183 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

Tracey Reid – married with three children – now lives in Melbourne.

Tracey Chamberlain - did some reporting for Ten a few years back, she left NBN to go and work in Alaska at a regional ABC affiliate!

OFFLINE   Sharpy #796

• 5,866 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

eyepopping.gif David Fordham used to work for NBN?

OFFLINE   Big Dan #797

• 18,519 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (bugz @ Mar 20 2006, 02:48 PM)
Some familiar names there.

Yes there is...NBN's got a pretty good track record of producing some decent talent.

QUOTE (MJH @ Mar 20 2006, 03:01 PM)
Tracey Chamberlain - did some reporting for Ten a few years back, she left NBN to go and work in Alaska at a regional ABC affiliate!

I heard that...that would KIMO 13. yes.gif

I didn't know Jim Callinan came from the Upper Hunter, either! And he's from Scone too! (I'll overlook the fact he was raised in Muswellbrook) wink.gif

OFFLINE   Big Dan #798

• 18,519 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Sharpy @ Mar 20 2006, 03:06 PM)
eyepopping.gif David Fordham used to work for NBN?

That he did Sharpy! yes.gif I've got a copy of "Eye to Eye", which was a community sevice/promotional newsletter NBN did in 1979, and its got a picture of David presenting the Sunday Sports Show.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #799

• 3,250 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

maybe the NBN News set will get a revamp, but i doubt it
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   jackjack #800

• 495 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

WIN News Qld got Catherine Goldie on a Sunday eyepopping.gif to record a cyclone warning for North Qld that aired throughout the Commonwealth Games.