60 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
1554 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #1241

• Formerly Mike.S

• 10,167 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Can never tell if this means there'll be a big exclusive they don't want to give away, or just filler from 60 Minutes USA.

Yep its a biggie,Derryn Hinch interviewed by Tara Brown

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1242

• Forum Moderator

• 3,686 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Yep its a biggie,Derryn Hinch interviewed by Tara Brown

They could have an exclusive interview with the Queen of England tonight and it still wouldn't be enough to get me to watch. I'm just so irritated by those promos featuring Will Ferrell. I used to watch 60 religiously. Have been recording it for the last few years and just watching the one or two stories that interest me. The quality of the stories and the subjects have nose-dived and there is just no compelling reason to bother with it anymore.

Edited by NewsWeary, 25 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #1243

• 6,723 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm just so irritated by those promos featuring Will Ferrell.

Coincidently, they're airing that interview with Will Ferrell tonight. I do agree with you BTW.

I used to watch 60 religiously. Have been recording it for the last few years and just watching the one or two stories that interest me. The quality of the stories and the subjects have nose-dived and there is just no compelling reason to bother with it anymore.

Again, I do agree with you, although it's not like the content of Sunday Night is much better. Both shows are as bad as each other and are basically ACA/TT: Weekend Edition IMO.

While I'm here, I've found a clip that might cheer you up a bit, the final segment of 60 Minutes that aired on September 21 1996 that I found at the very start of a recorded VHS tape I "digitally remastered" a while ago:

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #1244

• Forum Moderator

• 3,686 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Again, I do agree with you, although it's not like the content of Sunday Night is much better. Both shows are as bad as each other and are basically ACA/TT: Weekend Edition IMO.

I don't agree. The mix of stories on Sunday Night is much better. Mark Llewellyn's influence and years of producing and reporting for Nine is clearly evident.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #1245

• 6,723 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I don't agree. The mix of stories on Sunday Night is much better. Mark Llewellyn's influence and years of producing and reporting for Nine is clearly evident.

Maybe I was a bit harsh about Sunday Night, but the content of 60 Minutes has almost gone to ACA-style levels in recent years. Hope you enjoyed the Flashback video though! :)

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1246

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

9 60 MINUTES Network 9 964,000
Will Ferrell interview was no drawcard. the lame promo which the old-skewing 60M audience would not have understood was a waste of everyone's time.
This show needs either a dramtic overhaul or to be put down. Largely irrelevant and never breaks news. 60M has no resources to do the investigations it was once famous for. It is now more like Getaway mixed with ACA.
Perhaps some new faces too? But then the talent pool in Australia is tragically shallow so I can't begin to think who would stoop to wanting to be on this rubbish?
(also posted on 60M thread)

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1247

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Good work by Media Watch last night (watch it on abc.net.au/mediawatch) exposing 60M and Sunday Night for being just as bad as ACA and TT when it comes to being selective with facts. But then the idiots who still watch 60M don't watch Media Watch and happily lap up the lies.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #1248

• News Contributor

• 11,202 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Good work by Media Watch last night (watch it on abc.net.au/mediawatch) exposing 60M and Sunday Night for being just as bad as ACA and TT when it comes to being selective with facts. But then the idiots who still watch 60M don't watch Media Watch and happily lap up the lies.

I learned this long ago when 60 M did a story about a topic that I had in-depth knowledge of (it was a Mike Monroe investigation). It was the biggest load of trumped up garbage and scare mongering I'd ever seen. I decided that their other stories, about which I did not have the knowledge, were probably just as much garbage and haven’t watched since. Obviously as shown in MW, Sunday Night is the same.

Disgraceful journalism and production but worse it demonstrates to me a culture in both shows of ‘don’t let the facts get in the way of a story and RATINGS’.

OFFLINE   Lowie #1249

• 2,638 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

This week on 60 Minutes:

The Big Picture
It's the curse of every dieter. Shed a few kilos. Then pile them all back on again. We've always blamed ourselves, we should have kept up with the exercise, shown more self-control. But researchers in Melbourne have come up with another more "palatable" explanation. They're discovered that a person's weight is predestined, that genetically your body will fight to put the weight back on again. All without you even knowing about it. There is some good news though: the new findings are turning the science of weight loss on its head.
Reporter: Liam Bartlett
Producer: Howard Sacre

Ships of Shame
They're sold to us as floating pleasure domes - luxury hotels on the sea - where every day is perfect and the party never stops. But scratch the surface of the cruise ship industry and the truth isn't so dazzling. Behind the pina coladas and the smiles lies a murky world of sexual assault, drugs and violence, even murder. Incredibly, one passenger goes missing overboard every two weeks. Now, you'd think the big cruise companies would be desperate to get their industry shipshape. You couldn't be more wrong.
Reporter: Allison Langdon
Producer: Gareth Harvey

Living on the Edge
Bands don't get much bigger or louder than Aerosmith. For 40 years, Stephen Tyler and his crew have been rocking stadiums full of adoring fans. Backstage, though, things haven't been quite so harmonious. There's been bitter feuds, battles with drug addiction and major health scares. Yet through it all, they've kept performing. Their live concerts are legendary. But as Lara Logan from the American 60 Minutes program discovered, the real entertainment happens behind the scenes.
Reporter: Lara Logan, CBS 60 Minutes
Producer: John Hamlin

OFFLINE   Matlock #1250

• News Contributor

• 6,167 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

That last story is by Lara Logan, a CBS reporter. Wasn't she killed a year ago in the Middle East?

OFFLINE   SA TV #1251

• 8,328 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

That last story is by Lara Logan, a CBS reporter. Wasn't she killed a year ago in the Middle East?

No she was attacked and raped, still very much alive.....

OFFLINE   Matlock #1252

• News Contributor

• 6,167 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. I remember now watching the Anderson Cooper coverage of it.

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1253

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Shows how little 9 now thinks of 60M. Seems to be off or have repeat stries more than it's on.
9 finally agrees with viewers.

OFFLINE   jimbo #1254

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

9 finally agrees with viewers.

Agrees on what? The show still sits comfortably over the 1 million mark.

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1255

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Agrees on what? The show still sits comfortably over the 1 million mark.

You might want to check the ratings for 60M this year again. I think it's been under a mill a few times. And a mill is too low as this show costs a bomb. Tara Brown insists a nanny flies everywhere with her to look after the sprog she insists on dragging around with her. If Tara were a great reporter, then maybe that's an OK demand but she's very very average.
The payroll is expensive as is the first class and business class international airfares for reporter (and entourage), producer, camera and sound.
it's one of the last great gravy trains on tv. and a mediocre one at that. ACA with a bigger budget. Tara's first report on cheap milk can't be too far away.

OFFLINE   jimbo #1256

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

And a mill is too low as this show costs a bomb.
The payroll is expensive as is the first class and business class international airfares for reporter.

You know this how? Got access to the accounts do you? Please stop spurting out your assumptions and generalisations russ.

The way you talk about people like Tara Brown is so uncalled for too

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1257

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

No she was attacked and raped, still very much alive.....

Lara Logan claims she was raped by 200 men - "by their hands". I think rape encompasses digital penetration.
Here's a counter view from an eye witness (sort of).
http://temorisblog.w...-to-lara-logan/

Edited by go_russ_go, 18 April 2012 - 04:34 PM.

OFFLINE   kevizz #1258

• 4,829 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Simply absurd blog post, how on earth did you come across it? Some of the author's comments below are especially troubling, dismissing her hospital stay and other facts as part of some kind of conspiracy to manufacture a story.

Surely you don't agree with it's dubious claims in light of Lara and other more reputable sources directly contradicting it with their accounts?

Edited by kevizz, 18 April 2012 - 05:10 PM.

OFFLINE   go_russ_go #1259

• 1,019 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Simply absurd blog post, how on earth did you come across it? Some of the author's comments below are especially troubling, dismissing her hospital stay and other facts as part of some kind of conspiracy to manufacture a story.

Surely you don't agree with it's dubious claims in light of Lara and other more reputable sources directly contradicting it with their accounts?

No I don't agree with the blogger's comments. I just thought people might be interested to read it. Like the rantings from those who think the US was behind 9/11, that the moon landing didn't happen etc etc.
Having been to a few Moslem countries, western women are always a target if only because in certain places, women on the street are a minority.
I for one would never have gone near tahir square on the night in question - and I'm a bloke! A gutless one perhaps.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #1260

• 9,307 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

that first story: WTF?