Metro Music Radio Stations

• Please log in to reply
728 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Johnson #21

• 143 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

I'm not saying it's right however, I can kind of understand it. Particularly with the CHRs. If you're a P1 listener to a station which pitches up say 2%, the your rivals sounds 'slooowerrrr somehow.' The thinking is that your listeners will feel kind of handbraked hearing the track on another station at normal pitch so might just spend more tiem with you.

It's more common to only pitch up at certain times of the day, night shows / party zones etc.

Whether you pitch up or not, it's not going to make or break a station but combined with hot imaging and the like, you just might sound slicker somehow and hey with a pitch of 2%, you might get an extra song in every... wait.. adding it up.... ummm.. every day or so.

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #22

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (skartel @ Jan 19 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon its disgusting that they do that, Music was written to be played at a certain pitch/speed. They really have no right to be tampering with it

I tend to agree. I remember back in the days of cassettes, the speed governor on my cassette deck went loopy and everything was playing a little fast. To me, it was unlistenable, but the repair guys were harder to convince. I ended up just buying a new player. If I suspected a radio station was doing the same, I simply wouldn't listen.

West Wing did something odd with Steve Miller's Jet Airliner which they featured in S7 - they speeded up the song to fit the time/vision available, and raised the pitch by almost a tone. Bugs me every time I watch that episode, but I doubt it's the only show or movie that has taken liberties like that. At least they have a reason, though: a radio station doing that is just out of line, surely.

OFFLINE   Johnson #23

• 143 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Fishgirl @ Jan 19 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to agree. I remember back in the days of cassettes, the speed governor on my cassette deck went loopy and everything was playing a little fast. To me, it was unlistenable, but the repair guys were harder to convince. I ended up just buying a new player. If I suspected a radio station was doing the same, I simply wouldn't listen.

Thing is, you'd notice it on old technoloday but to use the example of NexGen, the pitching is very difficult to spot and it doesn't go higher in tone. Us audiophiles / radio nerds may notice but would the average punter?

Again, I'm not saying I agree with them doing it, however in the 'all metros sounding the same' thread, perhaps that's something some programming smart cookie came up with to make their product sound a little different - even is the listener is unsure as to why.

OFFLINE   mgaleano #24

• 413 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

I am a bit sick of all commercial FM stations in Sydney having best of breakfast shows on the weekend. All the breakfast on commercial FM are kind of similar. They all try to be a bit funny and something a little smutty. News services are not the best (WS is ok) but still has a 2DAY style breakfast show.

Vega tried when it first went on air it failed. The news service sucked. Why would you bother listening to Angela Catterns on FM when you can just tune into 702 AM. It was destined to fail so they went back to the team breakfast with lots of small talk, like on the other FM stations.

MIX also tried when it first went to air with Mike Carlton. It didn't last long because similar reason to above. No news service. I remember him kind of reading a newspaper to inform the listeners what was happening in the world.

Regional radio does it quite good. Those in the sydney area can tune into 2ST 102.9 FM, this is the type of breakfast one station should try in sydney. I guess they can't afford to have teams of hosts.

What does everyone think? There is a place on the FM band to have maybe 2 or 3 breakfast shows with the current style. However we should have at least one with a good simple breakfast show with a good news service (they purchase from AM even) . Its so simple but no one does it why?

OFFLINE   ryanradioboy #25

• 1,849 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

Its so simple but no one does it why?

Because most commercial radio plays it safe. silly.gif
Have a nice little audience figure.
Chugg along nicely.
Who's to blame them for playing it safely?

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #26

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (ryanradioboy @ Jan 20 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Discerning listeners like those at MS...

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #27

• 8,283 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (mgaleano @ Jan 20 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a bit sick of all commercial FM stations in Sydney having best of breakfast shows on the weekend. All the breakfast on commercial FM are kind of similar. They all try to be a bit funny and something a little smutty. News services are not the best (WS is ok) but still has a 2DAY style breakfast show.

Vega tried when it first went on air it failed. The news service sucked. Why would you bother listening to Angela Catterns on FM when you can just tune into 702 AM. It was destined to fail so they went back to the team breakfast with lots of small talk, like on the other FM stations.

MIX also tried when it first went to air with Mike Carlton. It didn't last long because similar reason to above. No news service. I remember him kind of reading a newspaper to inform the listeners what was happening in the world.

Regional radio does it quite good. Those in the sydney area can tune into 2ST 102.9 FM, this is the type of breakfast one station should try in sydney. I guess they can't afford to have teams of hosts.

What does everyone think? There is a place on the FM band to have maybe 2 or 3 breakfast shows with the current style. However we should have at least one with a good simple breakfast show with a good news service (they purchase from AM even) . Its so simple but no one does it why?

Welcome to MediaSpy, mgaleano. smile.gif

Yes, I agree with the above. If I wanted music before 9am on weekday mornings, I'd tune to 2CH. However, I'd normally have the radio off at this time of the morning. And yes, 2ST (even outside of its breakfast show) is different to the Sydney commercial FM stations musically, as they play the softer classic hits of the 60s & 70s that Vega, WS-FM, Wave FM, KO-FM, Star 104.5 & 2GO wouldn't touch with a barge pole. At night, 2EC from Bega can be picked up on 765AM across most of Sydney (depending on the receiver), which is again musically different to the Sydney/Central Coast/Newcastle/Wollongong commercial FM stations (2EC has automated music instead of 2UE talkback at nights). 2GN from Goulburn on 1368AM & 2XL from Cooma on 918AM plays music from the 70s & 80s that are not really heard on the commercial FM stations in the above mentioned regions.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   PZ. #28

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,705 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Johnson @ Jan 19 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, you'd notice it on old technoloday but to use the example of NexGen, the pitching is very difficult to spot and it doesn't go higher in tone. Us audiophiles / radio nerds may notice but would the average punter?

prolly not, unless you go nuts with it. It's easy enough to check if you were keen enough.

QUOTE (Johnson @ Jan 19 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, I'm not saying I agree with them doing it, however in the 'all metros sounding the same' thread, perhaps that's something some programming smart cookie came up with to make their product sound a little different - even is the listener is unsure as to why.

one good thing would be to have a station make the song last as long as possible before it fades. That'd be different yes.gif

OFFLINE   PZ. #29

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,705 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (mgaleano @ Jan 20 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

surprise, surprise mgaleano! cheerful.gif

Per our previous "blue corner talk", Is 2ST still giving us proper stereo in the mornings? I've been listening to 2KO lately y'know what I mean yes.gif

Edited by POWERZONE, 20 January 2008 - 06:17 PM.

OFFLINE   ryanradioboy #30

• 1,849 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Discerning listeners like those at MS...

Also you have to remember.
To the normal person the media isn't a big deal!
They might for example see the new nine look and think who cares.
If something goes out of place us MS people have a sort of a whinge silly.gif
We are different and i think that to the normal radio listener they will just listen to whats on.
They don't really know how to change it!
I know heaps of people who can't tune a radio unless it's a digital one!
We are sort of nerds in this game.
I think all of us here at Mspy sometimes have to think like a normal punter!

Edited by ryanradioboy, 20 January 2008 - 06:22 PM.

OFFLINE   ted101 #31

• 168 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Jan 20 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
prolly not, unless you go nuts with it. It's easy enough to check if you were keen enough.
one good thing would be to have a station make the song last as long as possible before it fades. That'd be different yes.gif

4bh keep playing Working My Way Back To You by the Spinners on a regular basis it was a revival anyway they never play the original by the Four Seasons , and another one that gets regular airplay is Angel by Cliff Richard the original was by Elvis which we never hear.I wish they woul put in some different ones from the 60s give those afore mentioned songs a miss for a while and play the originals.Pretty Woman Roy Orbison is another one that they seem to play alot (they must think that was the only hit the Big O had) .

OFFLINE   PZ. #32

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,705 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (ted101 @ Jan 20 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4bh keep playing Working My Way Back To You by the Spinners on a regular basis it was a revival anyway they never play the original by the Four Seasons , and another one that gets regular airplay is Angel by Cliff Richard the original was by Elvis which we never hear.I wish they woul put in some different ones from the 60s give those afore mentioned songs a miss for a while and play the originals.Pretty Woman Roy Orbison is another one that they seem to play alot (they must think that was the only hit the Big O had) .

Sounds like 2WS (Sydney) programming to me.

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #33

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (ryanradioboy @ Jan 20 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think all of us here at Mspy sometimes have to think like a normal punter!

Spoken like a true commercial network programmer.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #34

• 8,283 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Now that "The Jonathan Coleman Experience" has been moved to the 5-7pm weeknights timeslot from today, the ARN Classic Hits stations has joined most other commercial FM stations on talk-oriented drive programs.

At the 5-7pm weeknights timeslot, other following commercial FM stations in Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane have; regarding talk-oriented programs on commercial music stations:

Nova - The Akmal & Cal Show (3-6pm - Sydney & Melbourne only)/Dan & Ken (3-6pm - Brisbane only); Merrick & Rosso (6-7pm - Melbourne & Brisbane only)
Today Network - Hamish & Andy (4-6pm); Kyle & Jackie O's Hour of Power (6-7pm - Melbourne & Brisbane only)
Triple M - Will & Lehmo (4-6pm)

That means in those cities, if you want more music than talk during that time of the day, you'll now have to listen to either Vega (Sydney & Melbourne), MIX (97.3FM in Brisbane) or the AM easy listening stations (2CH in Sydney; Magic & 3MP in Melbourne; 4BH in Brisbane).

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #35

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Jan 21 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that "The Jonathan Coleman Experience" has been moved to the 5-7pm weeknights timeslot from today, the ARN Classic Hits stations has joined most other commercial FM stations on talk-oriented drive programs.

At the 5-7pm weeknights timeslot, other following commercial FM stations in Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane have; regarding talk-oriented programs on commercial music stations:

Nova - The Akmal & Cal Show (3-6pm - Sydney & Melbourne only)/Dan & Ken (3-6pm - Brisbane only); Merrick & Rosso (6-7pm - Melbourne & Brisbane only)
Today Network - Hamish & Andy (4-6pm); Kyle & Jackie O's Hour of Power (6-7pm - Melbourne & Brisbane only)

That means in those cities, if you want more music than talk during that time of the day, you'll now have to listen to either Vega (Sydney & Melbourne), MIX (97.3FM in Brisbane) or the AM easy listening stations (2CH in Sydney; Magic & 3MP in Melbourne; 4BH in Brisbane).

I was pleasantly surprised by the small amount of Jono and Julia that I tonight; there was more music than I had expected, and it was the right music for 4KQ. Having said that, I hate losing 4 hours of music features a week (ie 60s @ 6). I can't help but wonder if the 70s@7 will survive. I guess we find out next week; 25 Years in 25 Days winds up on Friday.

OFFLINE   ted101 #36

• 168 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Jan 21 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but the J.C. experience isn,t all talk.Although maybe it is I didn,t listen today but last time I heard it it was talk and music.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #37

• 8,283 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (ted101 @ Jan 21 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but the J.C. experience isn,t all talk.Although maybe it is I didn,t listen today but last time I heard it it was talk and music.

I think that's what I meant to describe these kind of shows: a talk & music program. wink.gif

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #38

• 1,231 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Fishgirl @ Jan 21 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was pleasantly surprised by the small amount of Jono and Julia that I tonight; there was more music than I had expected, and it was the right music for 4KQ. Having said that, I hate losing 4 hours of music features a week (ie 60s @ 6). I can't help but wonder if the 70s@7 will survive. I guess we find out next week; 25 Years in 25 Days winds up on Friday.

Yes, it wasn't as bad as I expected either. There was more music than I thought there would be, and you're right, the music was 'right' for 4KQ.

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #39

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Brianc68 @ Jan 21 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it wasn't as bad as I expected either. There was more music than I thought there would be, and you're right, the music was 'right' for 4KQ.

Brianc68...I'm just moving this one over to the ARN thread...

OFFLINE   mgaleano #40

• 413 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (ryanradioboy @ Jan 20 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because most commercial radio plays it safe. silly.gif
Have a nice little audience figure.
Chugg along nicely.

I sometimes think that Vega did not play safe at all. They should of had a good news service. Its very risky to have Angela Catterns start a breakfast show without news. To attract the baby boomers would not that be an important element?

The most successful FM launch ( after MMM and 2day) in sydney was probably 2WS. The format was simple. They kept the same breakfast show, same music, same news just changed the freq. They kept the solid gold weekend, the count the cash promotions etc. Now unfortunately WS sounds more of a typical FM station. The breakfast shows and they got rid of a lot news coverage they use to have (even at night they had news when it first went to FM) .

2CH format also has a very simple but effective and safe format. Beating a lot of the FM stations for dead.

Now why Vega didn't emulate something like this. Simple breakfast show (no smut) , good news service rather than having this sort strange half talkback with no news sort of format. Is there any risk in that ? Maybe a gold format of music but plays different hits from WS. A jukebox show on saturday night playing 50 and 60s. Classic hit triple plays. Have theme weekends like british rock of the 70s.. etc etc . Very safe. No risk. Typical of the 2WS and 2UW in the late 80s early 90s. We are missing an AM music station on the FM station if you get my drift.

All the Commercial FM stations have some difference but overall feel is the same esp at breakfast.