Metro Music Radio Stations

• Please log in to reply
741 replies to this topic

ONLINE   TV_Expert #41

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (mgaleano @ Jan 21 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sometimes think that Vega did not play safe at all. They should of had a good news service. Its very risky to have Angela Catterns start a breakfast show without news. To attract the baby boomers would not that be an important element?

The most successful FM launch ( after MMM and 2day) in sydney was probably 2WS. The format was simple. They kept the same breakfast show, same music, same news just changed the freq. They kept the solid gold weekend, the count the cash promotions etc. Now unfortunately WS sounds more of a typical FM station. The breakfast shows and they got rid of a lot news coverage they use to have (even at night they had news when it first went to FM) .

2CH format also has a very simple but effective and safe format. Beating a lot of the FM stations for dead.

Now why Vega didn't emulate something like this. Simple breakfast show (no smut) , good news service rather than having this sort strange half talkback with no news sort of format. Is there any risk in that ? Maybe a gold format of music but plays different hits from WS. A jukebox show on saturday night playing 50 and 60s. Classic hit triple plays. Have theme weekends like british rock of the 70s.. etc etc . Very safe. No risk. Typical of the 2WS and 2UW in the late 80s early 90s. We are missing an AM music station on the FM station if you get my drift.

All the Commercial FM stations have some difference but overall feel is the same esp at breakfast.

Before DMG entered the Sydney market, I was led to believe that their commercial FM stations were sounding better than how it is currently is. Each station had its set format, with 2WS (now WS-FM) having a true classic hits format with some newer adult contemporary music thrown in), 2DAY having a CHR/Hot AC format (80s to current), Triple M was rock of all ages (both classic & modern), and MIX 106.5 was an Adult Contemporary station. Each station had its set format.

Of course, this was thrown out of the window when Nova arrived in 2001, which prompted Triple M to go with a modern rock-only format & MIX 106.5 went a little bit towards 'Hot AC'. As Triple M was dropping the 'classic rock' tracks from their playlist, WS-FM picked some of those tracks up, and at the same time, dropped most of the newer adult contemporary music from their playlist. Nova, whilst being slightly different from 2DAY at times, is really just another 2DAY, but with less ads in a row.
When WS-FM relaunched themselves as being almost a full-on classic rock station in 2004, and MIX 106.5 went back to having a full-on adult contemporary format, there was no other commercial FM station providing these formats in Sydney at the time.

However, in early 2005, Triple M relaunched themselves with a Jack format, and in the months leading up to Vega's arrival, it was a battle mostly between WS-FM & Triple M, as far as the similarities in the music between the two stations are concerned. Then in August 2005, Vega arrived, and was initially quite different to WS-FM, Triple M & MIX 106.5 for the first 9 months, under its "40 Years Of Music" format. But after those first 9 months & poor ratings, Vega went with a more safe "vega variety" format. The first year of the "vega variety" format (May 2006-June 2007) was pretty listenable, as it played quite a broad range of music, and their ratings were going upwards, peaking at just under 5%. But since around mid-2007, it has gone much safer & more blander than before, and is now not really much different to WS-FM/Triple M/MIX 106.5, and therefore, their ratings had slightly fell. At around the same time, WS-FM & MIX 106.5 increased their ratings share, while 2CH was riding high in the ratings for a commercial AM music station, hovering around the 6-8% mark throughout 2007. Triple M had declined in the ratings throughout 2007, and by the end of that year, was relaunched as a 'rock' station.

The point is, according to a member at DTV Forum, one reckons that the main reason DMG paid in total $256 million ($150 million for Nova; $106 million for Vega), is to just secure their licences in the Sydney market, and therefore, not really providing something more different to what the other commercial FM stations in Sydney are offering.

Edited by TV_Expert, 24 January 2008 - 11:01 AM.

TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

ONLINE   TV_Expert #42

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

Flicking around the car radio whilst travelling around Sydney, here are today's examples of sameness between stations:

* At around 11:15am, both Vega & WS-FM were playing "Too Many Times" by Mental As Anything at around the same time.
* At around 11:30am, Vega played "When Tomorrow Comes" by Eurythmics. A few minutes later, MIX 106.5 played that same song.

Even though it can be said that MIX 106.5 is fairly similar to the other commercial FM stations in Sydney, they are at least a bit more different to Vega/WS-FM/Triple M, in which they don't play much (if any) Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel/Jimmy Barnes or other rock-oriented tracks (other than the 'soft rock' tracks), and therefore plays more of the pop-oriented tracks that you hardly hear on the other three FM stations, such as Dido, Anastacia, Culture Club, Howard Jones, Simply Red, Bananarama, Michael Jackson & The Bangles. According to the last radio ratings of 2007, MIX 106.5 was the 2nd most popular music station in the 40-54 age group in Sydney, behind WS-FM.

As for the sameness between Nova & 2DAY, it is relatively different to the sameness between Vega, WS-FM, Triple M & MIX, as both stations rate quite highly. Here's what I mean, looking at the latest ratings:

Sydney - Survey 8, 2007

Stations targeting at young people
2DAY - 10% (Est. 1980)
Nova - 8.2% (Est. 2001)

Stations targeting at older people
WS-FM - 6.8% (Est. 1978; moved to FM in 1993)
Triple M - 5.3% (Est. 1980)
Vega - 3.9% (Est. 2005)

Station targeting in-between young & older (sorry, couldn't fit in either of the above two sections)
MIX 106.5 - 7.8% (Est. 1925 as 2UW; moved to FM in 1994)

As you can see on the overall ratings, Vega rates well below the more established stations that targets a similar demographic by 1.5-3%, while Nova is sort of levelled with 2DAY, with a gap of 1-2% between the two. Heck, even Nova outrated 2DAY in Sydney for quite a while during 2004-2005, something that Vega never achieved on doing, re. rating higher than either WS-FM, Triple M or MIX in the overall ratings.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #43

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

I was sort of thinking to myself that whenever I listen to C91.3, which is broadcasting in the Campbelltown area in Sydney's south-west and is mostly a Nova-type station with some 80s & 90s flashbacks thrown in, most of the music they play on the station is no different to what the Sydney commercial FM stations play. The thing is, pretty much all of the Campbelltown area gets a very clear reception of the Sydney commercial FM stations, plus the fact that the Sydney radio licence area covers almost the whole of C91.3's Campbelltown licence area (moreso than Brisbane radio licence area's overlap into River 94.9's Ipswich licence area). IMO, the only difference that C91.3 has over the Sydney stations is not the music they play, but its local news, ads & info that is relevant for the Campbelltown area.

My suggestion for C91.3: They should go back to when they were a mostly classic rock station, like they were between 2001 & 2004. At least they were really different from the major Sydney commercial FM stations at the time. Or even better, go with a format that is similar to River 94.9, in which they would play a number of 70s & 80s music, with some 60s & newer music thrown in, that is not really heard on any other commercial FM stations in the Sydney region. They would retain a lot of local news, ads & info relevant for the Campbelltown area on the station, if either of these changes were to occur.

For comparison purposes, here are the median ages for C91.3's & River 94.9's licence areas, according to the ABS 2006 Census figures:

C91.3 - 32
River 94.9 - 36 (approx.)

Anyone in the Sydney region listening to C91.3? I don't really listen to them, even though I live right in their licence area! eyepopping.gif

OFFLINE   PZ. #44

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Feb 6 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was sort of thinking to myself that whenever I listen to C91.3, which is broadcasting in the Campbelltown area in Sydney's south-west and is mostly a Nova-type station with some 80s & 90s flashbacks thrown in, most of the music they play on the station is no different to what the Sydney commercial FM stations play. The thing is, pretty much all of the Campbelltown area gets a very clear reception of the Sydney commercial FM stations, plus the fact that the Sydney radio licence area covers almost the whole of C91.3's Campbelltown licence area (moreso than Brisbane radio licence area's overlap into River 94.9's Ipswich licence area). IMO, the only difference that C91.3 has over the Sydney stations is not the music they play, but its local news, ads & info that is relevant for the Campbelltown area.

My suggestion for C91.3: They should go back to when they were a mostly classic rock station, like they were between 2001 & 2004. At least they were really different from the major Sydney commercial FM stations at the time. Or even better, go with a format that is similar to River 94.9, in which they would play a number of 70s & 80s music, with some 60s & newer music thrown in, that is not really heard on any other commercial FM stations in the Sydney region. They would retain a lot of local news, ads & info relevant for the Campbelltown area on the station, if either of these changes were to occur.

For comparison purposes, here are the median ages for C91.3's & River 94.9's licence areas, according to the ABS 2006 Census figures:

C91.3 - 32
River 94.9 - 36 (approx.)

Anyone in the Sydney region listening to C91.3? I don't really listen to them, even though I live right in their licence area! eyepopping.gif

The only time I really listen to it is on Saturday night after midnight, when the Satellite show is on......and that's generally to do some sound quality comparisons with BLUfm, 2VTR, and 2RDJ. I have heard the occasional 70's song on there but it's pretty much what you described, and similiar to KIKfm in Penrith as well.

I would like to add, however, C91.3 sound like they've got their compression settings very well balanced. Their audio quality is very good.
They sound louder than the Sydney stations (Esp MMM, 2DAY) and their levels suggest they are using digital compression gear.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #45

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Moved from 'Vega FM' thread, so that the below comments are more relevant for this thread.
QUOTE (Brianc68 @ Feb 10 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can remember not that long ago I could switch on at 5pm and switch between B105 and 4MMM and have a fantastic choice of music blasting, with minimal interruption. Now it's just so-called comedians trying to fill in an hour or two with banal chatter and un-funny jokes and interviews...

I used to be able to rely on 4KQ with their 5 for the drive, but even that's been replaced by the Jonathan Coleman 'experience'... (which at least plays a little more music than the others).

Driving home used to be a great time to relax with some great rock, but now it's a struggle to find a song being played,, or it's the good old CD player.

Brianc68, if you want more music radio during drive time in the Brisbane region, you can try 97.3FM, 4BH, River 94.9, Rebel FM, Breeze FM, Gold FM (Gold Coast) or Mix FM (Sunshine Coast). In the Sydney region, Vega, MIX 106.5, 2CH, The Edge, Wave FM, i98FM, Star 104.5 & 2GO plays more music & less talk during drive, compared to the other stations.

OFFLINE   PZ. #46

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Yep, and there's the "other" stations as well yes.gif

OFFLINE   40minute #47

• 183 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Melbourne only has 2 commercial FM music based drive shows.

Vega 91.5 Wilber Wilde (Mostly Music with some entertainment talk based. 4:00 till 7:00
Nova 100.3 The wrong way home with Akmal, Kal & Ed 3:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)
Mix 101.1 James Grove (Mostly music based)
Fox Fm 101.9 Hamish & Andy 4:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)
Gold 104.3 Jonothon Coleman Experience 5:00 till 7:00 (Mostly talk and music based)
Triple M 105.1 Wil & Lemo 4:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)

If you can pick up regional stations you have The Peter Mobbs show from 95.5 K-Rock in Geelong (good value) Star FM 94.3 Gippsland, 96.9 Goulburn Valley, 93.7 Mt Buller, 91.9 Bendigo The Benchwarmers with Ant & becs (Talk based) SMS 5 @5 on Power FM Ballarat 103.1.

Not like the old days when you had one talented announcer like Barry Bissell, Mark Irvine, Ed Phillips, Rob Elliot,

OFFLINE   PZ. #48

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (40minute @ Feb 10 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Melbourne only has 2 commercial FM music based drive shows.

Vega 91.5 Wilber Wilde (Mostly Music with some entertainment talk based. 4:00 till 7:00
Nova 100.3 The wrong way home with Akmal, Kal & Ed 3:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)
Mix 101.1 James Grove (Mostly music based)
Fox Fm 101.9 Hamish & Andy 4:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)
Gold 104.3 Jonothon Coleman Experience 5:00 till 7:00 (Mostly talk and music based)
Triple M 105.1 Wil & Lemo 4:00 till 6:00 (Mostly talk based)

If you can pick up regional stations you have The Peter Mobbs show from 95.5 K-Rock in Geelong (good value) Star FM 94.3 Gippsland, 96.9 Goulburn Valley, 93.7 Mt Buller, 91.9 Bendigo The Benchwarmers with Ant & becs (Talk based) SMS 5 @5 on Power FM Ballarat 103.1.

Not like the old days when you had one talented announcer like Barry Bissell, Mark Irvine, Ed Phillips, Rob Elliot,

Rob Elliot! Yeah, he was ultra funny! hyper.gif

He replaced Bruce Stalder on MMM's "home grown" in 1990. (Heaps of tapes of it here somewhere)

Where did he end up I wonder???

OFFLINE   Padded Cell #49

• 266 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (POWERZONE @ Feb 10 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rob Elliot! Yeah, he was ultra funny! hyper.gif

He replaced Bruce Stalder on MMM's "home grown" in 1990. (Heaps of tapes of it here somewhere)

Where did he end up I wonder???

I would love to know what ever happened to old Bruce? I think he may have gone to FM104 in Brisbane as PD.

What ever happened to Pete Armstrong, the Real Pete Armstrong?

OFFLINE   40minute #50

• 183 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

Rob Wlliot was a great announcer. I remember going to trade school listenng to him on my walkman and being in stiches. A classic example of a single announcer providing an enteraining music based drive show. Its ashame he never stuck with radio.

For memory home grown was on at 10:00pm Monday nights after the top 8@8. My first memory was it being hosted by Kent Forbes, Where did he end up, still here his voice on commercials on several stations.

OFFLINE   M Man #51

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (dstjames @ Jan 16 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's frustrating, but it seems that one formula seems to apply to all... with a disenfranchised bunch like us on internet forums still hungry for better.

One day when we've made our millions, all us disenfranchised bunch will buy a station and run it as it should be - take the losses until the market realises the format is worthwhile.

Imagine it like Bill Caralis with 2SM, but for good, not the current evil!

OFFLINE   M Man #52

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (Fishgirl @ Jan 20 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spoken like a true commercial network programmer.

Very true, there'll be some who never get it in any size market, but I feel the audience is smarter than what's given credit for.

My station will educate its audience and therefore will end up more discerning - this would mortify many in radio, work harder? a smarter audience? horror of all horrors.

My station will also only pay/hire employees that actually have a drive to work - thrive not survive, as that is what the whole industry is doing at present.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #53

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

Comparing the easy listening AM stations in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide through its online streaming & AM night-time skips, I find that I'm more likely to find better & a bit more modern easy listening music on Magic, 3MP, 4BH & Cruise than on 2CH. I'm sure someone who finds that out that way would agree with me, as 2CH is a bit too old-fashioned for my liking, music-wise, compared to its interstate equivalents.

But then again, I'm only 21, and therefore am well below the target demographic for the easy listening AM stations, but because I live in Sydney, most of the adult music commercial radio stations (inc. Gosford & Wollongong stations) does tend to leave a lot to be desired, and therefore, 2CH is the only adult music station that is really different from the rest of the pack. But even so, I don't really listen to 2CH much, and if I was to listen to a Sydney AM station, it would be the ABC or the commercial talkback stations.

Edited by TV_Expert, 12 February 2008 - 08:36 PM.

OFFLINE   PZ. #54

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

The thing I like about 2CH is the very simple 3 in a row, back announce, short breaks and back into the music again. None of the hype,
screaming and yelling and whatever, and it's been that way for 20 years or more. In fact in the 80's most of the stations employed that format.
But yes, the music is definitely softer than 3MP, and Magic, both of which are very good to listen to.

2SM dabbled with that music & format for a short while in 1988.

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #55

• 1,286 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Feb 12 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comparing the easy listening AM stations in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide through its online streaming & AM night-time skips, I find that I'm more likely to find better & a bit more modern easy listening music on Magic, 3MP, 4BH & Cruise than on 2CH. I'm sure someone who finds that out that way would agree with me, as 2CH is a bit too old-fashioned for my liking, music-wise, compared to its interstate equivalents.

But then again, I'm only 21, and therefore am well below the target demographic for the easy listening AM stations, but because I live in Sydney, most of the adult music commercial radio stations (inc. Gosford & Wollongong stations) does tend to leave a lot to be desired, and therefore, 2CH is the only adult music station that is really different from the rest of the pack. But even so, I don't really listen to 2CH much, and if I was to listen to a Sydney AM station, it would be the ABC or the commercial talkback stations.

Yes, I'm a big fan of 4BH for easy listening. They mix contemporary and older easy listening very well. I'm looking forward to hearing them on Digital.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #56

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

From 'Triple M Network' thread:
QUOTE (Brianc68 @ Feb 26 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's time the ACMA took a look at this lack of service for older music listeners in most markets outside the capital cities. At the very least they could release a few new AM licences in regional areas. They could use the OFCOM model in the UK. The prospective operator would have to agree to provide a service (ie format) that isn't currently catered for in the market.

I think 'market forces' are failing to provide an appropriate level of choice for listeners, as we can all see that commercial FM stations all tend to cluster around a narrow demographic.

Even though this thread is titled 'Metro Music Radio Stations', even though the following concerns a number of regional markets, it's still relevant to make the following comments here.

As I've said in the 'Triple M Network' thread, regarding the OFCOM model, Wollongong is the one regional market that will greatly benefit from this. Whilst the Central Coast & Newcastle does have a local community station that plays classic hits/easy listening music appealing to the 40+ demographic for most of the time, Wollongong doesn't have that kind of local community station, as Vox FM feels more like a Sydney sub-metro community station than a regional community station, with quite a heavy amount of ethnic/specialist programming. Because of local commercial stations, Wave FM & i98FM, both targeting around a similar demographic, due to the fact that they compete with each other, 40+ listeners are left with 97.3 ABC Illawarra as the only local station that really appeals to them, while for music, they'll have to tune to an 'out-of-area' station, such as WS-FM & 2CH from Sydney, 2ST from Nowra or Bowral, or 2EC from Bega.
A couple of weeks ago, both Wave FM & i98FM were playing a Rogue Traders song at around the same time. Wave was playing "Watching You", while i98 was playing "I Never Liked You", in which both songs sounded quite similar. That's not much diversity for the only local commercial stations in Wollongong, is it? no.gif

That's not to say that commercial radio in Sydney is much better either. Yesterday, whilst travelling around Sydney, between 9 & 10am, I heard Triple M play "The Dead Heart" by Midnight Oil. Sometime later on that same hour, WS-FM played that same song.
At around 12:20pm, both C91.3 (Campbelltown) & MIX 106.5 (which they the "80s Mix" hour at this time) played "Dance Hall Days" by Wang Chung. I know that Campbelltown is a separate radio market to Sydney, but its licence area is almost entirely overlapped by the Sydney radio licence area. I might do an hourly playlist for C91.3 in the "Hourly Music Logs" thread sometime today.

Can anyone in Brisbane tell me on how different River 94.9 is, compared to the Brisbane commercial music stations?

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #57

• 1,286 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Feb 27 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From 'Triple M Network' thread:
Even though this thread is titled 'Metro Music Radio Stations', even though the following concerns a number of regional markets, it's still relevant to make the following comments here.

As I've said in the 'Triple M Network' thread, regarding the OFCOM model, Wollongong is the one regional market that will greatly benefit from this. Whilst the Central Coast & Newcastle does have a local community station that plays classic hits/easy listening music appealing to the 40+ demographic for most of the time, Wollongong doesn't have that kind of local community station, as Vox FM feels more like a Sydney sub-metro community station than a regional community station, with quite a heavy amount of ethnic/specialist programming. Because of local commercial stations, Wave FM & i98FM, both targeting around a similar demographic, due to the fact that they compete with each other, 40+ listeners are left with 97.3 ABC Illawarra as the only local station that really appeals to them, while for music, they'll have to tune to an 'out-of-area' station, such as WS-FM & 2CH from Sydney, 2ST from Nowra or Bowral, or 2EC from Bega.
A couple of weeks ago, both Wave FM & i98FM were playing a Rogue Traders song at around the same time. Wave was playing "Watching You", while i98 was playing "I Never Liked You", in which both songs sounded quite similar. That's not much diversity for the only local commercial stations in Wollongong, is it? no.gif

That's not to say that commercial radio in Sydney is much better either. Yesterday, whilst travelling around Sydney, between 9 & 10am, I heard Triple M play "The Dead Heart" by Midnight Oil. Sometime later on that same hour, WS-FM played that same song.
At around 12:20pm, both C91.3 (Campbelltown) & MIX 106.5 (which they the "80s Mix" hour at this time) played "Dance Hall Days" by Wang Chung. I know that Campbelltown is a separate radio market to Sydney, but its licence area is almost entirely overlapped by the Sydney radio licence area. I might do an hourly playlist for C91.3 in the "Hourly Music Logs" thread sometime today.

Can anyone in Brisbane tell me on how different River 94.9 is, compared to the Brisbane commercial music stations?

River is a little more varied than MMM or 4KQ. They'll play rarer 80s and some 70s hits, and mix in 90s and new hits too. What sets them apart from MMM is that they're not so narrow in the playlist, and they're not so focused on rock.

They'll play some 'easier' hits from the 70s and 80s. Songs like 'Walking on the Chinese Wall', 'Eternal Flame' (Bangles) and the like. They really mix it up too - you can hear a Chicago song followed by the latest from Pink. It can sound a little disjointed, but I really like it, especially at night. Lately they've been playing a bit more 70s too, from the likes of Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac etc.

It's definitely a welcome addition to the choice available in Brisbane, especially on the FM dial.

Re the Wollongong market, they need to do something there. That's a classic example of where more competition = less choice!!!
If Wave and i98 were owned by the same people, at least you'd have 2 different stations targeting 2 different audiences. Some people will say that at least they have the Sydney stations to listen to, but I've been to Wollongong, the Sydney stations don't come through that well.

ONLINE   TV_Expert #58

• 8,501 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Brianc68 @ Feb 27 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
River is a little more varied than MMM or 4KQ. They'll play rarer 80s and some 70s hits, and mix in 90s and new hits too. What sets them apart from MMM is that they're not so narrow in the playlist, and they're not so focused on rock.

They'll play some 'easier' hits from the 70s and 80s. Songs like 'Walking on the Chinese Wall', 'Eternal Flame' (Bangles) and the like. They really mix it up too - you can hear a Chicago song followed by the latest from Pink. It can sound a little disjointed, but I really like it, especially at night. Lately they've been playing a bit more 70s too, from the likes of Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac etc.

It's definitely a welcome addition to the choice available in Brisbane, especially on the FM dial.

It's nothing like our C91.3 that we have in Sydney's south-west. See the playlist that I've compiled here: http://www.mediaspy....=...st&p=451652

Clearly, C91.3 is inferior compared to River 94.9.

Edited by TV_Expert, 27 February 2008 - 09:36 PM.

OFFLINE   ted101 #59

• 168 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Feb 27 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's nothing like our C91.3 that we have in Sydney's south-west. See the playlist that I've compiled here: http://www.mediaspy....=...st&p=451652

Clearly, C91.3 is inferior compared to River 94.9.

You still get the occasional 60s song on River they just played Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman

OFFLINE   Mark #60

• 16,408 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (Brianc68 @ Feb 27 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I've been to Wollongong, the Sydney stations don't come through that well.

you must have been in the crap part of town, everywhere I've been in the Gong Sydney comes in clear as a bell.