New Zealand Television

• Please log in to reply
8440 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Big Dan #21

• 18,458 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

It's Australia's ABC
They used to have a news agreement with Nine but that came to an end about the same time that Prime and Nine got into bed across the Tasman.
ABC America cooperates with TV3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh...thanks for that.

BTW...this is my 2000th post...time for a new avatar! :))
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   routemarker #22

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:16 PM

BTW...this is my 2000th post...time for a new avatar! :))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must say it's a vast improvement :P
You're going nowhere fast, like a moose without legs; tied to a truck with no petrol!

OFFLINE   RepoJake #23

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:15 PM

New Zealand Television is good. we have a good amount of shows.

We have some of the same american shows like australia shows.

We manage to show a number of kiwi dramas and so on tv.

proberbly more than australia does for australian drama.

well we used to any way could be wrong.

I like what we have any way
Seven and Nine don't ring credibility.
Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #24

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

No, you're not wrong.
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #25

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

So wish NZ TV was available in Australia.

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #26

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

We manage to show a number of kiwi dramas and so on tv.

proberbly more than australia does for australian drama.

well we used to any way could be wrong.

I like what we have any way

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know that it was ever the case.
NZ TV has always been very weak in the drama genre.
Most of it comes from Shortland Street.
Last year TV One broadcast a total of 47 hours of drama and comedy
TV2 broadcast 320 hours (of which more than a third was "the street") A lot of 2's total was comedy not drama.
TV3's total was 34 hours.

NZ TV does very well considering market size... and there is a lot of local content but a lot of it is reality TV.. Drama is not a major factor.

The source for the figures by the way was NZ On Air.

Why would you want NZ TV in Australia? (I like NZ TV and there's a lot to recomend it) but you can see pretty much everything on Australian networks anyway.

Edited by NewsWorld, 09 May 2005 - 03:39 PM.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #27

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

It would be interesting to see One or 3 News

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #28

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

It would be interesting to see One or 3 News

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true.. it would be interesting.. they're both excellent bulletins.
It's unlikely to happen though because of rights issues.
Although someone could take their bulletin and edit out all the overseas material and leave just the local stories.
I guess the only people likely to do that are Sky or SBS.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #29

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

True. SBS could have a delayed telecast of either news, or if possible could run them live at 4pm on SBS.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #30

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

Anyone whose interested.

Solid Half Year for TVNZ - 4 May 2005

TVNZ has reported a net surplus after tax of $30.7 million for the half year to December 2004 in its Interim Report, released today.

This is an increase of $3.1 million, or 11%, over last year's result for the comparable period.

Chairman of the Board, Craig Boyce, said the result was positive, both in terms of TVNZ's financial performance and its journey towards fulfilling the TVNZ Charter as New Zealand's television public broadcaster.

"In the small New Zealand market, we must continue to succeed commercially in order to underwrite our programme of action as a public broadcaster," he said.

"The competitive terrain in which TVNZ operates is more challenging now than at any time in the past, particularly in the evening news and current affairs slot. TVNZ is performing strongly in the face of this challenge."

Programming highlights for the half year included the highly successful broadcast of the Olympic Games, the important public service live broadcast of The Tomb of the Unknown Warrior, and the launch of the New Zealand Festival documentary series which brought to public attention the contribution of remarkable New Zealanders such as Colin McCahon, Janet Frame, and David Lange.

This year's Interim Report also offers a new format for publicly accounting for public money spent delivering the TVNZ Charter. All programmes that went to air during the six months and were produced with the assistance of Charter-specific Government funding are listed in a special table, giving the dollar value and the year funding was approved.

Craig Boyce said the record advertising market growth which supported the half-years excellent result was showing signs of levelling off.

"Despite this we remain confident for the future and look forward to continuing the progress made in establishing a uniquely New Zealand approach to television Public Broadcasting."

The 2005 Interim Report can be downloaded at: http://corporate.tvnz.co.nz

ENDS

OFFLINE   RepoJake #31

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

yeah shortland st is well it's like home and away and so on.so

it's not like always greener and so on in the quality drama so on.

we did have some good dramas tho like mercy peak, jackson wharf ( which I really loved)

wish they would put that on dvd but sadly I know they won't I asked

I heard the strip wasn't a bad show (I knew some one who worked on it)

I know at one stage there were a number of kiwi produced shows on tv at one stage

I mean non realty tv & lifestyle and so on shows
Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   On Air #32

• the bost mod here

• 5,936 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

Who does TVNZ get their international stuff from? The ads on their website say BBC, NBC, ABC, Reuters and CNN. Could the ABC in that be our ABC, or the american ABC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is now both ABC's (America/Australia). TV3's contract with ABC ended at the end of last year, meaning it lost 20/20 as well. 20/20 new screens in a new format on TV2 (usually 2 NZ stories and 1 american. TV3 has rights to CBS news, including the right to have a local version of 60 minutes, which usually has 1 NZ story, 1 American and 1 Australian.

TV1's Australain content comes from Sky News and ABC
TV3's Australian content comes from Channel 7.
Primes comes from Sky News and Nine.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #33

• 18,458 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

It is now both ABC's (America/Australia). TV3's contract with ABC ended at the end of last year, meaning it lost 20/20 as well. 20/20 new screens in a new format on TV2 (usually 2 NZ stories and 1 american. TV3 has rights to CBS news, including the right to have a local version of 60 minutes, which usually has 1 NZ story, 1 American and 1 Australian.

TV1's Australain content comes from Sky News and ABC
TV3's Australian content comes from Channel 7.
Primes comes from Sky News and Nine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering TV3 is owned by CanWest, you would've figured they'd get their Aussie content from Ten! :))
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   IntlMedia #34

• 404 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

Considering TV3 is owned by CanWest, you would've figured they'd get their Aussie content from Ten! :))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They can if they want to. It's just that TV3's Australian correspondent is based at ATN so Seven's footage and facilities are utilised first.

:P

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #35

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

Looking though the One News site on TVNZ.co.nz, it's interesting that there's alot of Australian stories. Main story tonight (though the video section) was the Indonesian Embassy Scare.
If only were could be so nice, surely something must be going on in NZ!

Also
TVNZ Celebrates 45 Years of TV

In 1960 New Zealanders first welcomed television into their homes. The first broadcast was only two hours long, in black-and-white, and for the first six weeks lasted for only two hours a night over two nights a week. Forty five years later we have multiple channels operating a 24/7 schedule.

TVNZ and The Petone Settlers Museum in Lower Hutt are launching a celebration of 45 years of television in New Zealand with the 'Look Mum, I'm on TV' Exhibition to open to the public at the Museum on Saturday May 28. "The exhibition will demonstrate the evolution of television over the years and will be a trip down memory lane for many people," says Avon Adams, TVNZ's Public Affairs Head.

The exhibition is divided into four zones - Children's TV, Drama, Entertainment and Arts. It also celebrates and acknowledges 30 years of Avalon Studios - the contribution they have made to the television and film industry, and as a local employer in the Wellington/Lower Hutt region.

At the time of its completion Avalon Studios was the biggest television complex in the southern hemisphere a nine-storey tower block with an adjoining 11-studio block on a 17½ -acre site in Lower Hutt.

Within its first few years, Avalon turned out a steady stream of ambitious productions ranging from the historical drama about Governor George Grey, The Governor, to the country's first soap, Close to Home, and The God Boy (the longest single drama to be made for local television).

Former newsreader and Avalon personality Roger Gascoigne will officially open the exhibition at a special function on Friday May 27.

The exhibition is just part of the celebrations to be held at the Museum. During the year various workshops will be held at the site including 'Working in TV'- a seminar for those who aspire to work in film and television, and 'Writing it Right' - a workshop hosted by the TVNZ's Avalon Television and Film School focusing on writing for television.

PLEASE NOTE MEDIA ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND OFFICIAL OPENING AT PETONE SETTLERS MUSEUM, 6pm Friday 27 May.

Source TVNZ the best NZ TV Stations in NZ

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #36

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:11 PM

This is One News Weather

OFFLINE   RepoJake #37

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

yep very good weather thing and the girl in the pictures is Karen Olson

They used to make Blerta at Avalon

Never saw it but I heard it was very funny

Edited by doofynz, 03 June 2005 - 11:26 PM.

Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #38

• 3,248 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

TVNZ
Check out the full weather details

Attached Files

OFFLINE   News24 #39

• 1,042 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:35 PM

Hey there,
I have been, for the past few months developing my own site featuring screenshots and multimedia of NZ TV news.
So far only the TVOne page is up and running.

Have a look around and let me know what you think. Go easy, I am no expert and I am new to it all!

Thanks heaps,
Dan

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #40

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (ANC @ Jun 10 2005, 10:35 AM)
Hey there,
I have been, for the past few months developing my own site featuring screenshots and multimedia of NZ TV news.
So far only the TVOne page is up and running.

Have a look around and let me know what you think. Go easy, I am no expert and I am new to it all!

Thanks heaps,
Dan

I would love to have a look... but I can't seem to find a link unsure.gif