News Feedback and Updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
614 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mark #1

• 16,181 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi all,

We're almost into a new season, and with changes to the media landscape occurring at a remarkable pace, I thought it was time to hear what you all think of our baby.

I'd like constructive criticism, feedback, comments on what you think of The Spy Report and how you think it can be improved.

Please understand, I have no choice but to ignore comments like "it sucks" or "it roolz." That, frankly, tells me nothing and is wasting my time as I, and our valuable and hard-working contributors, look to improve the site in 2008.

<b>Constructive criticism only please.</b>

We're trying to run a genuine, interesting and informative off-shoot of Media Spy and it is imperative that we are hitting the mark.

Please vote in the poll as well.

Thanks

OFFLINE   Norman #2

• 7,767 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

When there is something interesting up I do read it.

Edited by Norman, 21 January 2008 - 07:32 PM.

OFFLINE   Mark #3

• 16,181 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Norman @ Jan 21 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When there is something interesting up I do read it.

thanks, do you only look at the header on Media Spy, or do you visit the site and browse?

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #4

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

I read it religiously, Mark.

OFFLINE   TGIF #5

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

It's useful to be able to see the latest headline, especially when it pops up while the page is loaing. If I see a new story I'll normally check to see if there are any others that I've missed too using the drop-down box..it's a system that works quite well for me.

OFFLINE   Media Munger #6

• 3,270 posts since
  • June 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

When I see a headline that interests me from the little link under the main banner, I do go to the main Spy Report page and read up on that article and skim over any other new article that might be there wether it intrests me or not. I don't particuarly like the rating system. I don't think it adds any value to TSR and believe if people want to look at an article they will search for it.

OFFLINE   TGIF #7

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

One thing that I think people are confused about is the criteria for rating - what do you base your star rating on? The quality of the article itself or the news it contains?

OFFLINE   Bureidenkune #8

• 1,139 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

When the page loads and under the MediaSpy banner if it's an intresting story then i shall read it cheerful.gif. As i voted in the poll i do visit more than twice a week if not more.

OFFLINE   Squee! #9

• Forum Moderator

• 11,017 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

If its a story im interested in, yes.
I don't think its open enough for users to submit stories or links to possible stories, the spywire isn't really suitable for that in my opinion.

OFFLINE   Mike #10

• 18,464 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

A simple form for submitting links for stories could be cool.

MS Username:
Link:

sort of form

Use a cpatcha to stop spam?

Edited by Mike 360, 21 January 2008 - 08:32 PM.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #11

• 18,519 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

Well, you know I like something when I have it put into the sidebar of my blog, and even went as far as create a Dapp to extract stories I've written for TSR as its own feed. wink.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Tranquility #12

• 7,145 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Just interested to know what others think makes an "interesting" story...
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   TJ. #13

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

I absolutely love The Spy Report! I find it very interesting and informative. I enjoy reading all the stories, and it keeps me up-to-date with whats going on within the media industry. Personally, I read every story posted, no matter the subject and visit the page at least three times a day, depending how many articles are added. What I would like to see, possibly some more reports added and perhaps some on the subject of entertainment, like television shows etc. When viewing the report I usually go to the dedicated browser. However, I find the tabs and menu bars at the top and on the main Media Spy page helpful to advise me of a new article. Perhaps, some more reminders that a new report is added, that would be good. Hope this helps, you guys are doing a great job, keep it up! I would be sad to see it go! hyper.gif

OFFLINE   Mike #14

• 18,464 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (tjkirk @ Jan 21 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely love The Spy Report! I find it very interesting and informative. I enjoy reading all the stories, and it keeps me up-to-date with whats going on within the media industry. Personally, I read every story posted, no matter the subject and visit the page at least three times a day, depending how many articles are added. What I would like to see, possibly some more reports added and perhaps some on the subject of entertainment, like television shows etc. When viewing the report I usually go to the dedicated browser. However, I find the tabs and menu bars at the top and on the main Media Spy page helpful to advise me of a new article. Perhaps, some more reminders that a new report is added, that would be good. Hope this helps, you guys are doing a great job, keep it up! I would be sad to see it go! hyper.gif

I don't think we are planning on stopping, just wanting to make it better.

OFFLINE   TJ. #15

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Jan 21 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think we are planning on stopping, just wanting to make it better.

I was just saying, don't stop. Doesn't mean you are, just another way to say its great.

Edited by tjkirk, 21 January 2008 - 09:19 PM.

OFFLINE   Jeffmister #16

• 1,964 posts since
  • February 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

I read the articles via my RSS reader, so I read every one. One thing that could be improved is maybe more updates, because sometimes TSR has no updates or not many in a week & also the articles that you put into TSR - this morning Mark (MJH) posted this article and it wasn't edited nothing - it sounded like a plug for Triple M. I'm not attacking Mark (MJH) or anything, but make sure when you post the articles they're not a total plug. Other then that great job!

OFFLINE   Fishgirl #17

• 2,866 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Jeffmister @ Jan 21 2008, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read the articles via my RSS reader, so I read every one. One thing that could be improved is maybe more updates, because sometimes TSR has no updates or not many in a week & also the articles that you put into TSR - this morning Mark (MJH) posted this article and it wasn't edited nothing - it sounded like a plug for Triple M. I'm not attacking Mark (MJH) or anything, but make sure when you post the articles they're not a total plug. Other then that great job!

I'm okay with periods when there are no updates; I read other media news sources as well, and if there's no update, it's invariably because there's nothing of substance to report. I'd rather not update the report for the sake of it; that just undermines its credibility as an information source.

OFFLINE   Splashmo #18

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

I visit the Spy Report whenever there is a new article available, so it's not always once a day - recently we've had no new articles for a few days so that's always a bit disappointing, but I understand sometimes there is no news. I think it's a good service to have, keep up the good work.

OFFLINE   Woz #19

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

If the headline at the top of the forums is really really really grabbing I sometimes click and read.

Which brings me to the bad bit.

I don't want to seem too much like I'm bitching, but some of the articles read about as well as the instruction manual for a $20 DVD player. I'm not being pedantic about the wrongful placement of a comma or spelling mistake, I'm talking about it seeming like there was absolutely no proof-reading done, which is just wacked.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Mark #20

• 16,181 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (Jeffmister @ Jan 21 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this morning Mark (MJH) posted this article and it wasn't edited nothing - it sounded like a plug for Triple M.

that was the point - it was a press release cheerful.gif

QUOTE (Woz @ Jan 21 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking about it seeming like there was absolutely no proof-reading done, which is just wacked.

Thanks Woz, one to improve on.