Perth Commercial Radio

• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   M Man #1

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Let's start with adding to the Wiki info on this station:

Who are the GM and PD of this station and when did they commence in these jobs?

OFFLINE   dryfry #2

• 280 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

I think Leo Nelson is the Programme Director there . Not sure on who is the GM.

OFFLINE   ultraBLUE #3

• 1,749 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

I used to listen to this station when I was in primary school (mostly because my mother did). They now also broadcast on 105.7 FM in the far northern and southern suburbs, which allows them to (at least partially) compete with 6MM in Mandurah.

OFFLINE   Marcus #4

• 16 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

6IX is in joint venture with 6PR (Fairfax Radio). They share premises in East Perth and also have some sharing across sales and admin. I think that Declan Kelly has GM responsibility for both stations.

QUOTE (M Man @ Mar 3 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's start with adding to the Wiki info on this station:

Who are the GM and PD of this station and when did they commence in these jobs?

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #5

• Forum Administrator

• 11,704 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 11 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6IX is in joint venture with 6PR (Fairfax Radio).

since when?

Fairfax already owns 6PR and 96FM. They can't own any more in Perth.

OFFLINE   ultraBLUE #6

• 1,749 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

6PR and 6IX used to be owned by the same people. Then whoever owned 6PR (Southern Cross?) sold off 6IX and bought 96fm instead. 6PR and 6IX still broadcast from the same building in East Perth, I think, but 96fm has since moved in too.

Edited by ultraBLUE, 11 March 2008 - 12:12 PM.

OFFLINE   Marcus #7

• 16 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

They're in joint management venture, not joint ownership. They share premises, some staff, newsrooms etc. 6IX is still owned by Capital/Grant and 6PR/96FM by Fairfax (ex Southern Cross). In all of the 3 years I lived in Perth and was allied to the industry, 6IX and 6PR were in this joint management venture, even though the licences were separate.

On further investigation, I found a list of Station Managers of the Capital Radio network that says Leo Nelson is Station Manager. I think Declan Kelly is in charge of the management sharing.

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Mar 11 2008, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
since when?

Fairfax already owns 6PR and 96FM. They can't own any more in Perth.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #8

• Forum Administrator

• 11,704 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 11 2008, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're in joint management venture, not joint ownership. They share premises, some staff, newsrooms etc. 6IX is still owned by Capital/Grant and 6PR/96FM by Fairfax (ex Southern Cross). In all of the 3 years I lived in Perth and was allied to the industry, 6IX and 6PR were in this joint management venture, even though the licences were separate.

On further investigation, I found a list of Station Managers of the Capital Radio network that says Leo Nelson is Station Manager. I think Declan Kelly is in charge of the management sharing.

interesting thanks for that smile.gif

WHen 2GB and 2UE wanted to do the same thing in Sydney there was great outcry, so much so that they ended up abandoning the idea

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #9

• 8,507 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

*Bump*

Noticed on their website that 6iX are doing "Elvis Hour" at 9pm Wednesdays. Seeing that the station is not owned by either ARN, DMG, Austereo, MSCM or Fairfax, I suppose it means that 6iX can be quite adventurous on their music that they play in a major capital city market, in which they have a 'true' classic hits format (unlike WS-FM/Gold 104) covering mainly the 60s & 70s, with plenty of 80s.

I listened to them for a bit whilst in Perth & was quite impressed of the station's format, especially in a major capital city market. yes.gif
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   M Man #10

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (TV_Expert @ Aug 16 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Bump*

Noticed on their website that 6iX are doing "Elvis Hour" at 9pm Wednesdays. Seeing that the station is not owned by either ARN, DMG, Austereo, MSCM or Fairfax, I suppose it means that 6iX can be quite adventurous on their music that they play in a major capital city market,

"quite adventurous" is one way to put it, as certainly couldn't call 6IX popular, rating sub 4%

Would like to know, how is 6IX slotting in olympic coverage? Block programming or simply only major events?

Being knobbled without an independent news service means that 6IX lose the advantage of 2GB sourced grabs of race/game calls and other exclusive audio in their ToH bulletins.

Would hope the contingency is 6IX programming airing their own cut & paste of olympic wraps each hour. Rather difficult as was under impression IX aren't live past drive.

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #11

• 1,288 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (M Man @ Aug 18 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"quite adventurous" is one way to put it, as certainly couldn't call 6IX popular, rating sub 4%

Wonder why 6IX is rating so low, compared to stations like 4BH, 4KQ, 2CH and Cruise?

I would have thought they'd pick up listeners who were displaced by Mix 94.5 going more "Triple M" in sound.

OFFLINE   Sub #12

• 1,392 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Also the fact they are on both AM and FM is still a mystery to me why they're doing so bad in the ratings. It'd be good if they streamed online - I would definately give them a listen.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #13

• Forum Administrator

• 11,704 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Peter at The Suburban @ Aug 19 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also the fact they are on both AM and FM is still a mystery to me why they're doing so bad in the ratings. It'd be good if they streamed online - I would definately give them a listen.

IIRC the FM signal is not city-wide but rather a low-powered translator IIRC and I'm not even sure it's in stereo?? So the FM signal will only cover a small geographic area.

It's also down the far end of the dial away from all the other FMs so that will work against it too.

OFFLINE   Marcus #14

• 16 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Aug 19 2008, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IIRC the FM signal is not city-wide but rather a low-powered translator IIRC and I'm not even sure it's in stereo?? So the FM signal will only cover a small geographic area.

It's also down the far end of the dial away from all the other FMs so that will work against it too.

Used to live in Perth's northern suburbs and listen to 6IX. We used to get them on either 1080AM or 105.7FM. The FM signal was in stereo and was broadcast to the far northern and far southern areas (ie, Joondalup to the north and Rockingham to the south). I lived in an inner north suburb, which was on the edge of the FM area, so could keep the FM signal on my car radio in the local area, but would be gone by about Osborne Park if I was heading south on the Mitchell Freeway.
I don't know where the AM transmitter was, but the signal wasn't too good in the northern suburbs and improved as you went south.
We really enjoyed their programming. It was a direct copy of 2CA in Canberra, right down to jingles and news themes. One of their particularly good programmes was their Friday and Saturday night juke box which they'd OB from local hotels. They share office space in East Perth with 6PR and 96FM.

OFFLINE   M Man #15

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Marcus @ Aug 19 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They share office space in East Perth with 6PR and 96FM.

And share the toilet paper and everything else!

When SCB was in its ascendancy, it owned 3 Perth stations, 6IX was weak for the chop and was sold.

News, engineering, office space & whole host of back room functions are handled by SCB/Fairfax - a great way to hobble your soon to be competition when selling.

It's a busy building, Fairfax's WA Today news website is also located there.

Would be great if it did stream to hear what, if anything was wrong with it, but I suspect 2CA parallels - did hear the Johnny Young v Kyle sledging audio some time ago and Johnny Young did sound very dated in show presentation and that's b'fast.

Ask on The Airhead website, the locals may listen if you're lucky!

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #16

• Forum Administrator

• 11,704 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Marcus @ Aug 19 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Used to live in Perth's northern suburbs and listen to 6IX. We used to get them on either 1080AM or 105.7FM. The FM signal was in stereo and was broadcast to the far northern and far southern areas (ie, Joondalup to the north and Rockingham to the south). I lived in an inner north suburb, which was on the edge of the FM area, so could keep the FM signal on my car radio in the local area, but would be gone by about Osborne Park if I was heading south on the Mitchell Freeway.

in that case, how did the existing FMs (Austereo, Nova, 96FM but particularly Nova that had not long ago shelled out big bucks for a licence) appreciate an AM station being handed a licence to broadcast FM stereo because it sounds like their FM coverage was quite substantial not what I'd been led to believe before

OFFLINE   M Man #17

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Aug 19 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in that case, how did the existing FMs (Austereo, Nova, 96FM but particularly Nova that had not long ago shelled out big bucks for a licence) appreciate an AM station being handed a licence to broadcast FM stereo because it sounds like their FM coverage was quite substantial not what I'd been led to believe before

If you read back the submissions, there was much consternation from the FM'ers.

ACMA couldn't give PR & IX an FM conversion simply because of poor ground conductivity as it would set a precedent and devalue ACMA's precious auction revenue.

This was the best compromise for both AM & FM players. (PR went for a boost in main TX power instead).

For coverage in-car to reach far south as Osbourne Park for the nthn translator is a fair slab of the city.

DMG and others tried the same in Adelaide as the AM signal isn't faring too well in the CBD, eg. a foothills translator, but knowing the great coverage of that site, ACMA denied it, the IX fix is a very hobbled compromised, hence why it was offered.

Thank god for DRB and all this silly AM/FM rubbish will be forgotten!

OFFLINE   dk32 #18

• 2,796 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (M Man @ Aug 20 2008, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you read back the submissions, there was much consternation from the FM'ers.

ACMA couldn't give PR & IX an FM conversion simply because of poor ground conductivity as it would set a precedent and devalue ACMA's precious auction revenue.

This was the best compromise for both AM & FM players. (PR went for a boost in main TX power instead).

For coverage in-car to reach far south as Osbourne Park for the nthn translator is a fair slab of the city.

DMG and others tried the same in Adelaide as the AM signal isn't faring too well in the CBD, eg. a foothills translator, but knowing the great coverage of that site, ACMA denied it, the IX fix is a very hobbled compromised, hence why it was offered.

Thank god for DRB and all this silly AM/FM rubbish will be forgotten!

6IX's AM transmitter (and 6PRs) is at Ascot Waters, in the eastern suburbs of Perth, not far from the airport.

The thing that has me beat is why the ACMA allowed 6IX and 6PR to go for different options in addressing the (2kw) AM signal issues ie. why weren't 6IX and 6PR made to go BOTH down the FM translator path or BOTH go for a AM signal boost to 10kw (to maintain equity).

The original plan released by the ACMA was for 6IX and 6PR to both move their main AM transmitter to Hammersley, in Perth's north, and move 6IX to 1269.
Both stations were to operate AM translators in the south of Perth, 6IX on their original frequency of 1080 and 6PR on 1530.

In relation to 6IX's low ratings, perhaps the music is a bit too 'old'.. rather than 60s, 70s - it probably should be more like 70s - 00s Classic Hits (like WSFM and Gold104).
The fact that it's on AM shouldn't necessarily be a disadvantage - if they get the format right, the listeners will tune in - particularly when there there no 'Classic Hits' station on FM in Perth.

I would also like to hear 6IX stream on-line .. as far as I know, they are the only metropolitan commercial radio station in Australia that doesn't.

I was in Perth last year and did listen to some of 6IX.. not a bad station, but I hated that "TEN-57 FM" frequency ID in their sweeper.. yucko... do they still do that?
I know that is probably there to go with the "TEN-80 AM" ID, but what's wrong with 'One Oh Five Point Seven'??

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #19

• 1,288 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (dk32 @ Aug 20 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In relation to 6IX's low ratings, perhaps the music is a bit too 'old'.. rather than 60s, 70s - it probably should be more like 70s - 00s Classic Hits (like WSFM and Gold104).
The fact that it's on AM shouldn't necessarily be a disadvantage - if they get the format right, the listeners will tune in - particularly when there there no 'Classic Hits' station on FM in Perth.

Yes, you could be right. Although 4BH and 4KQ still play a fair bit of 60s and 70s. Agree that the AM shouldn't be a real disadvantage if they get the format right.
Especially as 6IX has the advantage of the FM coverage to large parts of the metro area also. That's something that the likes of 4BH and 2CH would love to have, I'm sure!

QUOTE (dk32 @ Aug 20 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in Perth last year and did listen to some of 6IX.. not a bad station, but I hated that "TEN-57 FM" frequency ID in their sweeper.. yucko... do they still do that?
I know that is probably there to go with the "TEN-80 AM" ID, but what's wrong with 'One Oh Five Point Seven'??

I don't mind that actually smile.gif
It kind of fits because of the TEN-80 AM. Maybe they should have called it Radio Ten... ah, but that was Brisbane, wasn't it.

Anyway, they probably need to take a look at what 4BH and 2CH are doing and make some changes, by the sound of it.

Edited by Brianc68, 22 August 2008 - 09:26 PM.

OFFLINE   Brianc68 #20

• 1,288 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Aug 19 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might not be ideal, but it's still an advantage they have over the likes of 4BH, 2CH, 3MP and Cruise.