Today Tonight

• Please log in to reply
7697 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   SydneySider #41

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:44 PM

The lady, who suffered trauma in the past, was stressed. Is that better..?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

No, it's not better actually

:wub:

OFFLINE   Andrew #42

• 2,472 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:47 PM

Tonight Naomi said that Today Tonight had never tried to obscure the fact that they paid for the interview with Karen Brown.

She went on to speak about the NSW Dept of puublic prosecutions freezing any money that went directly or indirectly to Karen.

She revealed that no money had yet been paid for the interview and that Karen asked TT not to activate the contract, meaning that she will not be paid for the interview. She said that she didn't want the public thinking she did it for the money.

She (Karen) also thanked today tonight and the TT viewers that have supported her.
We're not ambulance chasers, we're statue vandals!

OFFLINE   oneplanetmikey #43

• 119 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:45 AM

You are still missing the point Andrew. The interview with Karen Brown should never have been broadcast. Whether TT gave Ms Brown $100,000 or a cheeseburger, it exploited a vulnerable woman and came very close to breaking the law. In this country it is illegal for criminals to profit from their crimes, and if tried, and if convicted, Brown and TT will have broken the law.
I just don't get it Andrew. Naomi Robson is a talentless hack, who night after night presents a pigs abortion of a TV program, and yet you cannot see crap for what this crap is. It is evil, base, and banal. At the end of the day, just exactly how does Australian society benefit froom this uber-garbage. It doesn't. It is mean, divides us and offers nothing more than sensationalist titivation.

OFFLINE   Andrew #44

• 2,472 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:17 PM

I accept your arguement that the interview was bordering on a fine line. What that line actually is these days has been obscured by not only TT, but ACA and other members of the media.

Your outburst over Naomi and her show may have a degree of truth about, but obviously people want to watch shows like ACA and TT, almost 3 million a night in the capitals.

Now considering both parties, being Karen Brown and Today Tonight agreed to do the interview, what is the problem with the show serving us a segment that we had a genuine interest in. Lets face it, alot of us wanted to watch and hear her version of events.

I do have a problem with the fact that she had been charged with murder at the time the interview went to air; but they are not the first to do it, and probably will not be the last.

ONLINE   EuroKick #45

• 4,408 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

How unusual, Sky just broadcast an entire TT Perth edition. Sets are nearly identical to the East coast edition. Also noted that they don't advertise the TT website. Rather 7perth.com.au.
STILL THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST; MediaSpy

OFFLINE   Mark. #46

• 3,441 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

How unusual, Sky just broadcast an entire TT Perth edition. Sets are nearly identical to the East coast edition. Also noted that they don't advertise the TT website. Rather 7perth.com.au.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are the stories on Perth TT mostly local?

OFFLINE   Mister Man #47

• 890 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:15 AM

How unusual, Sky just broadcast an entire TT Perth edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was most likely a story on the other editions that couldn't be shown in Perth for legal reasons (prehaps something related to a court case).

OFFLINE   cartman #48

• 237 posts since
  • April 2004

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:06 AM

There was most likely a story on the other editions that couldn't be shown in Perth for legal reasons (prehaps something related to a court case).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is correct, it is done for legal reasons where a particular package cannot be aired in a certain state that would have aired on the East Coast edition of TT.

In tonight's case it was the Perth edition of TT that was aired because there was a package featured on the East Coast edition of TT that could not be aired in Western Australia.

OFFLINE   mediagoss #49

• 18 posts since
  • April 2004

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

what did everyone think of Naomi's skillful handling on the Mrs Pittman/laurie lawrence? she cannot interview and is so out of her depth its not funny any more. the really scary thing is that the show rates. Maybe its more to do with a faultering Ray than anything to do wiht her.

[Guest] Mulvas #50

• --

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

Well, Today Tonight are signing up Canberran Tanya Flynn, the woman who claimed in this morning's Melbourne Herald Sun that she is the mother of 'Joe' Barbaro (Montana's father)'s two other children. She has backed off the claims now, saying they were made up. The Sun continued with the story though.

It really does belittle a serious situation, doesn't it, with newspaper and TV rights flying everywhere...

OFFLINE   SydneySider #51

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

I cearly remember (maybe sevenfan said it) that Anna Coren would return as host for TT in Martin Place.

I've seen a few TT promos during the Olympics and it features Naomi at the end standing in front of a city shot. Well I just saw the same ad and it says "Returning Monday August 30" (the date of the MP place) and they've removed Naomi from the city shot. :huh:

Edited by SydneySider, 21 August 2004 - 06:24 PM.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #52

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

I cearly remember (maybe sevenfan said it) that Anna Coren would return as host for TT in Martin Place.

I've seen a few TT promos during the Olympics and it features Naomi at the end standing in front of a city shot. Well I just saw the same ad and it says "Returning Monday August 30" (the date of the MP place) and they've removed Naomi from the city shot.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We've still got Naomi on the promos and it has "Melbourne's Today|Tonight" with her imposed on a Melbourne skyline shot.

I like their "Apology" promos.

Naomi wont be shafted. Sydneysiders, dont get your hopes up of seeing Anna present a local TT.
If anything she'll be seen nationwide before there are more local editions.

OFFLINE   Andrew #53

• 2,472 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, we still have Naomi.

I like their promos too, with Helen Wellings. They are a light heated look at, well, a light hearted programme.

One point is though that they only show Naomi and Helen. Where is everyone else...?

With added number watching 7, why not show off the other talent, and the stories 7 have done this year.

Like showing the Craig Stevens epic drama, Karen Brown, the Politician one, Naomi speaking to the PM, even the Anna Coren series on blindness from the marg.

What a waisted opportunity.

[Guest] Mulvas #54

• --

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

I like their "Apology" promos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, these are very effective. At start you think it will be an apology for not airing through the Olympics...

I have had a few people comment on the ad, which is pretty strange for people who hit the 'mute' button when the ads come on... :huh:

OFFLINE   Andrew #55

• 2,472 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:50 PM

It is as if they listened to what I said.

There is a new TT add with the different stories they have had this year.

OFFLINE   SydneySider #56

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've been playing that promo since the start of the olympics

OFFLINE   Andrew #57

• 2,472 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

I have only ever saw the Helen Wellings one.

Not the Anna Coren, Sonia Kruger etc one.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #58

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can just hear it now...

"When it comes to trashy tabloid journalism, nobody knows news like Seven"

:lol:
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   sth yarra #59

• 145 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

I took this from Crikey.com.au - as I feel exactly the same about Seven wasting the success of Today Tonight...

And finally, the way ACA has tackled its coverage of the games, with the restrictions on the use of vision is showing up Seven's decision to rest Today Tonight.

With its access it could have crunched the Nine effort and shown viewers that there is often more to the winners than the events from the various venues. It would have helped cement the emerging strength of TT, but for whatever reason, it has been wasted.

Now Seven will say that there were events to cover from 6.30 pm. Well, not really because 6.30pm our time isn't finals time in the swimming or in the athletics where many of the gold medal events are in the evening in Athens. And besides TT's broadcast time could always be adjusted to fit in with events. As Seven has been adjusting the news (Sunday evening for example). Not continuing with Today Tonight and having it come out of Athens is a mistake.

[Guest] Mulvas #60

• --

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:16 PM

I took this from Crikey.com.au - as I feel exactly the same about Seven wasting the success of Today Tonight...

And finally, the way ACA has tackled its coverage of the games, with the restrictions on the use of vision is showing up Seven's decision to rest Today Tonight.

With its access it could have crunched the Nine effort and shown viewers that there is often more to the winners than the events from the various venues. It would have helped cement the emerging strength of TT, but for whatever reason, it has been wasted.

Now Seven will say that there were events to cover from 6.30 pm. Well, not really because 6.30pm our time isn't finals time in the swimming or in the athletics where many of the gold medal events are in the evening in Athens. And besides TT's broadcast time could always be adjusted to fit in with events. As Seven has been adjusting the news (Sunday evening for example). Not continuing with Today Tonight and having it come out of Athens is a mistake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naomi needs her beauty rest.

They'll come back bigger and trashier than ever... :huh: :wub: :wub: