The West Australian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   M Man #1

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

Time for a thread since WAN is the focus of such scrutiny.

1 small detail not reported is that their radio division is not capitalising on the largest audience possible.

The Bunbury AM licence of theirs does not have its translators operational in Collie and Margaret River (ie. the whole peninsula Busselton to Augusta) on AM 1548 and 1494 respectively.

Consequently, they are missing out on audience and clients.

4CC has a 3 stick set up, all in operation and different IDs and commercials (and sometimes programming) comes out of each.

OFFLINE   M Man #2

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

What silly shareholders not to give Kerry Stokes 2 seats on the board.

He says he'll keep an active interest, he'll need to do more than that to keep the company in line & improving.

This smacks of Eva Preser style board hogging, why is it always the way in with media companies operating in the West?

Seven owns near 20% of WAN shares, they must be given access to 20% of the board seats.

Proportional representation for number of shares held is only fair.

The outdated WAN directors are so against Stokes as they know he will show them up.

My advice to them, man up, shape up or be shipped out

OFFLINE   Firetorch #3

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

Good, who wants Kerry Stokes and his trashy network influencing our only daily paper? crazy.gif crazy.gif

OFFLINE   M Man #4

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Apr 23 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good, who wants Kerry Stokes and his trashy network influencing our only daily paper? crazy.gif crazy.gif

Yeah, yeah, 7 may be considered trashy, always a low demo, Sue & Rick reading news yes, not so highbrow - however, Kerry Stokes is about fixing WAN as a business, the paper sells enough (could be more) so doesn't need to go 7 trashy (some may argue it's enough that way already).

That is why Stokes & co are needed, they are turnaround businessmen, GWN, radio, mags, now 7's doing well, Stokes turns it around, WAN needs that treatment.

OFFLINE   M Man #5

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:35 AM

web resource:
www.refreshthewest.com.au

now closed until the next step is revealed.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #6

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:34 AM

I just use the paper for wiping my ass, cause the quality in the paper is such crap so.

OFFLINE   j5o6hn #7

• 423 posts since
  • April 2005

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

There is only 1 other paper I would put in the same class as the West(worst) thats the Telecrap,how they have the hide to charge $2.20 for Sat which is Advertising with a front cover of whatever the idiot editior decides is his pet hate of the day.
I used to buy it 6 days and the Australian but stopped it because of its blatant political bias,which the Worst has always had it has just got even worse under the idiot in charge now,hopeless reporting which is truly dreadful,and man bites dog stories,I just could not justify wasting the money.
I have no brief for Stokes whose TV station I think aims at people with a mental age of 8 and who don,t want to think,but if he puts the cleaners through the West I would have no objection,as long as he does not dumb it down any more that it is now,we might be lucky and it might get better.

OFFLINE   M Man #8

• 974 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (j5o6hn @ Apr 26 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to buy it 6 days and the Australian but stopped it because of its blatant political bias,which the Worst has always had it has just got even worse under the idiot in charge now,hopeless reporting which is truly dreadful,and man bites dog stories,I just could not justify wasting the money.

http://www.thewest.c...ContentID=69826

Close enough to man bites dog, that's the top story on their WA news page atm.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #9

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Still a crappy paper actually, I prefer to read business mags over the crappy local here.

OFFLINE   byron #10

• 3,479 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Apr 23 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

crazy.gif And the West is such a prestigious newspaper. The West is full of crap and to top it off has been voted the most right wing paper in the country (so is that why you don't want 7 to tamper with your torie paper?) The Perth Times starts in a few months at least we will have an option that isn't The West or News limited.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #11

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

The Perth Times might be more exciting to read.

OFFLINE   KCR_Mike #12

• 207 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

Does anybody here read the West?

OFFLINE   Firetorch #13

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (byron @ Apr 27 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
crazy.gif And the West is such a prestigious newspaper. The West is full of crap and to top it off has been voted the most right wing paper in the country (so is that why you don't want 7 to tamper with your torie paper?) The Perth Times starts in a few months at least we will have an option that isn't The West or News limited.

It was a credible newspaper in this state.

Recently it has become a little trashy.

It will only become even more trashier with Stokes in charge as he tries to make it low-brow to increase sales.

I'm not sure how a newspaper can be 'voted' the most right-wing in Australia, maybe people are just confusing the fact that this newspaper is critical of our incompetent state Government. Or that it just reflects the political views of the people at the time.

Sorry, but I'd rather have The West than a crappy Fairfax paper that sponsors left-wing loony ideas like "Earth Hour".

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #14

• 20,038 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Seven in clear for full takeover bid of WAN

SEVEN Network is free to continue building its stake in West Australian Newspapers, and even launch a full takeover offer, thanks to a decision from the competition regulator.

Seven's move in July to increase its stake in WA's dominant newspaper publisher beyond the usual 20% takeover offer threshold, to 22.3%, attracted the interest of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. Its "informal investigation" examined whether any competition issues arose from Seven, which part owns Perth's most popular television station, having increased influence over WAN, which publishes of The West Australian.

During the investigation, Seven's controlling shareholder, Kerry Stokes, was appointed to the board of the publisher, along with fellow Seven representative Peter Gammell.

Seven yesterday said it had received notice the ACCC would not intervene over Seven's increased stake in WAN.

This came with a reminder that the ACCC "reserves its rights to reconsider its decision in future, having regard to changes in market conditions that may have arisen since the time of this review".

Seven jumped 35¢ to $5.52 while WAN rose 7¢ to $6.22, although the decision was disclosed after the market had closed.

SOURCE

OFFLINE   byron #15

• 3,479 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

West Australian editor Armstrong has been dumped

The controversial editor of The West Australian has been dumped, according to sources.

Staff at the State's monopoly daily newspaper were told by managing editor Bob Cronin at about 6pm that the editor who has led the paper since 2003 had been dumped.

Armstrong did not speak to the collective staff and had packed up his belongings and left the building.

http://www.watoday.c...90115-7hzy.html

OFFLINE   j5o6hn #16

• 423 posts since
  • April 2005

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

I think the only place where there will be rending of clothes and wearing of sackcloth and ashes will be Liberal Party HQ, and a few right wing nutters,the rest will breathe a huge sigh of relief and might even buy the Paper again.
I will stick with the OZ and SMH on line

OFFLINE   Lowie #17

• 2,638 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

I'm with you j5o6hn. I have not bought a copy of The 'Worst' Australian in a long time. Absolute dog of a paper. Good to see the editor gone, hopefully this translates to to a new direction, or at the very least an end to the constant pro Liberal spin.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #18

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Lowie @ Jan 16 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you j5o6hn. I have not bought a copy of The 'Worst' Australian in a long time. Absolute dog of a paper.

Wonder what you think of The Sunday Times then. Let alone papers like The Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph etc.

OFFLINE   j5o6hn #19

• 423 posts since
  • April 2005

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Having lived in Sydney for 20 odd years I can honestly say I avoided the telecrap like the plague,I read the SMH and the OZ,the Tele and West I think are on a par so far as just being papers aimed at 5 yr olds who cant think for themselves,and Piers Ackerman.
I lived in Melbourne for a short time read the Age, also lived in Brisbane there I read the Courier Mail,so far as the Slimes goes, is it a paper I thought it was an advertising supplement with week old news wrapped around it,if it was not free I would not bother,but I like the Phantom comic strip

OFFLINE   bambbbam #20

• 4,147 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

From

http://au.news.yahoo...-northam-crash/

"The vehicle the child was travelling in hit into a truck in Northam shortly after 6pm.

Details of how the crash happened are still sketchy with police investigating at the scene investigating."

Hmm maybe the cleaning staff are updating the web tonight over there.