Media Spy Team

• Please log in to reply
1275 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1121

• 18,611 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Something new, something old: today we welcome Big Dan back to the site staff. Big Dan's been around the traps for a long time, and we're delighted that he's returning to the staff, this time as an opinion columnist for The Spy Report.

I'm confident that he'll really add something to TSR: opinion writing is an area that we're interested in building up, and Dan will be an important part of that expansion. Welcome aboard!

Thanks Cyril. :)
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Lepatron #1122

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

We've had a few changes in the admin ranks, so I'd like to inform you all that Ryan has been promoted to an admin role. He will be a Support Administrator for the forums, alongside Commander Slicer. Ryan and CS will assist Gilbo, who continues in the role of Forum Administrator.

Gilbo is currently away overseas until late November, so On Air has joined the admin team on a temporary basis until Gilbo returns. On Air has proven himself as a very hard working moderator and I thank him for stepping in to help out over the next few weeks.

Lepatron
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1123

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hot on the heels of changes to the forum staff, there's also news on the Spy Report front.

I'm pleased to announce that Lex has joined the site staff as a Spy Report writer. Having been an friendly and enthusiastic contributor on the forums for a long time, Lex has been writing for TSR under a pseudonym for the last week. It's clear to us that he will be an excellent addition to the team.

OFFLINE   Ryan #1124

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

I'd like to inform you all that Ryan has been promoted to an admin role.

Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #1125

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

So the lunatics are finally in charge hey? :scared:
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1126

• 18,611 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

So the lunatics are finally in charge hey? :scared:

No, I haven't taken over yet...:rotfl:
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1127

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'm pleased to announce today that we have another new face joining The Spy Report. Dan Ebert hasn't been an active participant in our forum community to date, but he's a regular visitor to the site, enjoys browsing through the media news and discussion, and is enthusiastic about contributing with us.

Dan's joining us as a dedicated opinion columnist, and will bring his own unique and distinctive perspective on television and the media. Welcome aboard!

OFFLINE   jimbo #1128

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

Dan Ebert hasn't been an active participant in our forum community to date, but he's a regular visitor to the site, enjoys browsing through the media news and discussion, and is enthusiastic about contributing with us.

I would have thought you'd need to be contributing reasonably regularly on the site to get a gig like that...

OFFLINE   newtaste #1129

• News Contributor

• 5,276 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

I would have thought you'd need to be contributing reasonably regularly on the site to get a gig like that...

What he has written about Hey Hey is ok, so he has proved he can write a good column ... and he's probably promised to bring a sponge cake into the office for morning tea.

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1130

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

We're primarily concerned with ensuring that TSR writers are enthusiastic about writing on TV/media, whether that be news or opinion. You're right in suggesting that it helps if applicants have been regular members of our forum community: it's a good way of showing that they're interested in media discussion and it also gives us a bit of background about potential contributors. But we don't want to take an insular approach when it comes to evaluating applicants. :)

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #1131

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

I usually disagree with jimbo just on general principle-he's a Westie (they're all mad over there) and a Liberal (!),but I see his point here-with nothing previously submitted to the place,what exactly has Dan Ebert done to warrant bypassing the usual steps to Site Staff status? I've read the Hey Hey article,& don't believe that alone justifies his current position.

So I'm inclined to believe he may have actually contributed here under a different name in the past;or else he's known one way or another to those in charge.This quote indicates just that:

bring his own unique and distinctive perspective on television and the media.

Bit hard to tell just how unique he is based on one piece,no? :scratchchin:

OFFLINE   Ryan #1132

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,176 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

All hail Krull, and his glorious new regime
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1133

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

Much as I enjoy a good conspiracy theory ;), Dan didn't "bypass" any processes or steps. I probably should have mentioned before that he's been on TSR's books as a trial writer for several weeks now. The Hey Hey article is in fact the third piece that Dan has submitted to us as part of that trial process, not the first. Two of these pieces are live and by-lined under Dan's name (they were originally by-lined under the "TSR Writer" pseudonym).

Regular visitors to The Spy Report would know that for around two months, we had a prominently-displayed listing inviting interested parties to get in touch if they were interested in writing for us. I put that there for the benefit of everyone, not just forum members.

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #1134

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

I like conspiracy theories. :ph34r:

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1135

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I like conspiracy theories. :ph34r:

Posted Image

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #1136

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

^^^ Cyril's dining room table? :scratchchin: :scared:

OFFLINE   jimbo #1137

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

^^^ Cyril's dining room table? :scratchchin: :scared:

Nah that's the previous Spy Report Editor ON Cyril's dining room table. The things he's done to get where he is...

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #1138

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Nah that's the previous Spy Report Editor ON Cyril's dining room table. The things he's done to get where he is...

yer,your right.

(oddly enough,I wrote what I intended-without the "on" shouted above. :wacko: )

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #1139

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

Mm, Tranq's never quite forgiven me for that - apparently it cost him a date with Lee Lin...

OFFLINE   Lepatron #1140

• Retired Admin

• 8,864 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Further to my announcement in the TV Ratings Competition thread, I would like to announce that jono24 will be the first appointment into one of the newly created roles of Competitions Coordinator.

jono24 has shown strong enthusiasm and interest in the media through his Media Spy posts and has been a strong contributor to the ratings competition. He is a quality member and deserving of a position on the site staff.

We will have more details on the TV Ratings Competition for next year over the next month or so but in the meantime, we will also be running a summer/non ratings period competition that will be up and running shortly. Jono will have more details on that.

Please join me in welcoming jono24 to the Media Spy team.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org