Community Television

9:16 Mike Retter Amanda Duthie Chris Luscri Film Buff Central experimental film broadcast Channel 44

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   hrh #381

• 1,462 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

(And I thought that broadcasters in general had to keep a copy of all off-air material for x number of years for precisely this sort of reason?)

Forty days or thereabouts is the norm I believe with some places keeping them for longer, but certainly not years. And I guess that if there is a complaint made within that time the off air copy is pulled and kept for such purposes - but only if there is a complaint, otherwise it is recorded over as the recording medium gets recycled whether it be DVD-RW or hard disk.

OFFLINE   Otacon2009 #382

• 3,272 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

Does 31 Digital (Brisbane) have a presence on the Gold Coast? I saw an ident/promo with Gold Coast scenery with a "31 GOLD COAST" and then had one of those ads about local businesses testifying how successful Channel 31 is for them. The business is based in Mount Tamborine. I know it's possible to get Channel 31 from a specific point at Mount Tambourine (I even got a lock on WIN Toowoomba at the same point), but I know it's not mountain wide.

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #383

• 936 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

Forty days or thereabouts is the norm I believe with some places keeping them for longer, but certainly not years. And I guess that if there is a complaint made within that time the off air copy is pulled and kept for such purposes - but only if there is a complaint, otherwise it is recorded over as the recording medium gets recycled whether it be DVD-RW or hard disk.

For commercial TV, the complaint needs to made within 30 days of the broadcast in question. The station has 30 days in which to respond after receiving the complaint. If the station hasn't responded after 60 days, the complaint can be made directly to ACMA, who may then issue a "please explain" to the station, which then has 30 days to respond.

I couldn't find a reference to any specific length of time for which content must be preserved, so I'd guess that it's up to individual stations, with 30 days being the minimum. As for the requirements for community TV, commercial radio, and community radio, I'd imagine it's pretty similar...

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #384

• Forum Administrator

• 11,554 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

For commercial TV, the complaint needs to made within 30 days of the broadcast in question. The station has 30 days in which to respond after receiving the complaint. If the station hasn't responded after 60 days, the complaint can be made directly to ACMA, who may then issue a "please explain" to the station, which then has 30 days to respond.

I couldn't find a reference to any specific length of time for which content must be preserved, so I'd guess that it's up to individual stations, with 30 days being the minimum. As for the requirements for community TV, commercial radio, and community radio, I'd imagine it's pretty similar...

Just curious though, and apology if I'm using incorrect terms, but isn't there something like 7 years for legal recourse over something that is broadcast? Wouldn't broadcasters of any kind need to keep off-air copies for that amount of time for legal recourse? Or does that just depend on the individual stations internal policies?

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #385

• 936 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Just curious though, and apology if I'm using incorrect terms, but isn't there something like 7 years for legal recourse over something that is broadcast? Wouldn't broadcasters of any kind need to keep off-air copies for that amount of time for legal recourse? Or does that just depend on the individual stations internal policies?

Haven't heard of that one - although I find it hard to believe that a station would keep everything they broadcast for a whole seven years on the off-chance there might be a complaint. Perhaps they're obliged to keep something that's the subject of legal action; although that'd usually already have been obtained (via court order) by the legal team of the person / organisation making the complaint...

OFFLINE   lexington #386

• 1,434 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

the complaint must be made within 30 days because that is all the stations will keep off-air recordings. can you imagine how many DVDs or disk space would be needed for 7 years?

OFFLINE   TV King #387

• 849 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Does 31 Digital (Brisbane) have a presence on the Gold Coast? I saw an ident/promo with Gold Coast scenery with a "31 GOLD COAST" and then had one of those ads about local businesses testifying how successful Channel 31 is for them. The business is based in Mount Tamborine. I know it's possible to get Channel 31 from a specific point at Mount Tambourine (I even got a lock on WIN Toowoomba at the same point), but I know it's not mountain wide.

No. I'm currently in Mermaid Waters and I can't pick it up with a digital receiver. As they don't currently re-transmit from Mt Tamborine or Currumbin Hill, their reception is pretty non-existant on the Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast Bulletin however does publish their program guide, perhaps for those who live in the Mt Coot-tha footprint.

However, I could pick up their analogue transmission in Marcoola, Sunshine Coast very clearly a few years ago.

OFFLINE   Moe #388

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Some of C31 Melbourne's on-air presentation,

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #389

• 6,988 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank's for uploading that montage of C31 Presentation Moe! If you're interested in what TVS looks like, there's a few clips on my YouTube channel for your enjoyment. Not a bad look for a community TV station if I say so myself.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #390

• Forum Administrator

• 11,554 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not sure if anyone's interested in what's coming up on C31 in Melbourne but they've just announced their autumn line-up

C31 MELBOURNE AND GEELONG ANNOUNCES AUTUMN PROGRAMMING LINE-UP

Schedule supports new “We Are Melbourne and Geelong” positioning

With its autumn program line-up kicking off in March, C31 Melbourne and Geelong today announced the highlights of its new season broadcast which includes a special focus on Melbourne-produced content and talent.

Of the 16 new programs starting in the autumn season, the local community television channel is proud to announce four new highlight programs including The Hot Spot, Stars and the City, The Tribute Show and, Today’s Schools. Also of note is the return of popular series Footy Tragic and Melbourne Property TV for the second and third seasons respectively.

The autumn season kick-off comes as C31 announces its new “We Are Melbourne and Geelong” brand positioning. C31 General Manager Richard McLelland said the new positioning aims to reflect the station’s role in fostering local content production and representing the many voices of the Melbourne and Geelong community.

“C31’s new brand positioning is all about communicating the vital role the station plays in making the production of local and community content freely available via a broadcast platform, as well as providing an integral stepping stone for aspiring local producers to become the next wave of successful Australian content-makers.”

“Our autumn season programming includes highlight programs that showcase the talents of local Melbourne producers and actors and our audience can expect a variety of programs to enjoy ranging from lifestyle to sport, community, new thinking, and arts and culture.”

New programming will also coincide with C31 switching off its analogue signal from March 1, however the station anticipates audience numbers will not drop significantly as it continues to broadcast on Digital 44 and also offers Catch Up TV on its website.

“The future of television broadcasting is in digital and online viewing and we expect there to be minimal impact in our viewing numbers as the majority of Melbourne and Geelong viewers have made the move to digital,” said McLelland.

C31 autumn season highlights:

• The Hot Spot- Premiering on Monday 6 March at 9pm, The Hot Spot is your guide to the hottest places to be and be seen in Melbourne. Each week, your presenters explore Melbourne’s bars, clubs and pubs. The team also bring segments on drinks, fashion, food and more!
  • Stars and the City- Join leading Melbourne-based astrologist Julie McBeth for your glitzy and star-studded astrological guide to the week. This 13-episode series will premiere on Saturday 10 March at 9pm. Check out Stars in the City for the latest in health and beauty advice and treatments.
  • The Tribute Show – Exhibiting tribute bands, lookalikes, impersonators and the like as well as retired stars of yesteryear, The Tribute Show is hosted by well-known Melbourne comedian Tony Lewis. Premiering on Wednesday 8 March at 8pm, this 13-episode series will also provide trivia and behind-the-scenes facts about the artists.
  • Today’s Schools – Premiering on Monday 6 March at 7pm, watch for an insight into the latest technology used by the Educational Department in today’s Melbourne and Geelong schools. Through interviews, product reviews, demonstrations and discussions, learn about the rich world that is the modern school. From interactive whiteboards, iPods, iPads, wireless tablets, Skype and even programmable robots, Today’s School highlights the true potential currently available in education.
  • Melbourne Property- Returning on Monday 6 March at 8:30pm for its third season, Melbourne Property TV is your weekly update on the Melbourne property market. Each week, Melbourne Property TV will focus in on the property market of a particular suburb. From agents, developers, builders and lenders, Melbourne Property TV will be asking the experts for the inside scoop on Melbourne’s real estate. Forget property renovations and makeovers, this program will provide you with what you need to know to buy, sell or invest.
  • Footy Tragic- Returning on Thursday 29 March at 9pm for its second season, Footy Tragic is Australia’s own unique take on Fantasy Football. The program is developed by a team of Dreamteam experts, based in Melbourne, who share a deep passion for AFL and have a proven record of high success within the Dreamteam competition. Not one to miss for the footy fans amongst us!

-ends-

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #391

• News Contributor

• 11,677 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

31 Digital in Brisbane covered the Qld election for 3 hours live - check it out in this thread.

http://www.mediaspy....post__p__847233

Edited by TV Cynic, 24 March 2012 - 11:53 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #392

• 6,988 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

For anyone interested, some clips from TVS.

30 Second Promo for The Ten Pin Bowling Show. Yes, I'm as surprised as you to know that this sport is shown on FTA TV.

Note the "Now on Digital 44" message at the end of the promo. Yes, this is a recycled promo and now TVS on LCN 44 is the only way to watch the channel!

Three "Sponsor" Breaks that aired on Friday. Look out for the PRG that partially covers up a program super:

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 25 March 2012 - 05:19 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #393

• 6,988 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

The Opener & Closer to TVS News, a weekly 15 minute news bulletin that is co-produced with Fairfax Media:

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #394

• Forum Moderator

• 3,722 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

New brand positioning for community television station C31:

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #395

• News Contributor

• 11,677 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Some 'highlights' from QUT News shown on Brisbane's community station Digital 31. It's only shown during university semesters 6.30 -7.00pm (and repeat around midnight).

OFFLINE   Moe #396

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I've stuffed the audio sync up badly, but here's some of the presentation from C31 Melbourne.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #397

• News Contributor

• 11,677 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

31 Brisbane Christmas watermark

OFFLINE   Matlock #398

• News Contributor

• 6,223 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Why isn't community TV on Foxtel. I can't receive it any other way.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #399

• News Contributor

• 11,677 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Why isn't community TV on Foxtel. I can't receive it any other way.

If it was on Foxtel, it might end up being broadcast outside its license area - just a thought.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #400

• Forum Administrator

• 11,554 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

If it was on Foxtel, it might end up being broadcast outside its license area - just a thought.

Foxtel seems to be able to cope with re-broadcasting commercial broadcasters within their licensed borders, though?

Do the FTA channels have to pay to get onto the Foxtel platform? CTV channels would not be keen, or have the finances, to pay if that is the case.

Although I recall that the old Optus Vision used to carry Channel 31 in Melbourne.