9 Presenters and Reporters

• Please log in to reply
6684 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   bacco007 #1

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,183 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

This thread is for the discussion of Presenters and Reporters of Nine News only.

Discussion pertaining to Nine News' Content and Appearance is to be undertaken in this thread.

The old Nine News thread can be found here.

OFFLINE   SA TV #2

• 8,347 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

I was suprised to see/hear Rob reading the headline about the 'family' murders, which of course his son was a victim of. Kelly read the intro though, with Michael Smyth reporting. Normally I though Rob doesn't read stories about anything reated to the case.
(are people familier with the case?)

Edited by SA TV, 28 October 2008 - 09:53 PM.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #3

• Retired Admin

• 8,865 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

I reckon the fact that 9 hasn't announced a replacement for Mike Munro means they are probably trying to poach somebody from another station to take over either weeknights or weekends.

If Michael Usher was the front runner, they would have announced it by now.

Edited by Lepatron, 28 October 2008 - 09:50 PM.

<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Brad #4

• Media Vault Contributor

• 1,242 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

I agree - if Michael Usher was going to get the job then you would think they would just announce it. Nine seem to be shuffling presenters at the moment with Tara Brown on maternity leave. They seem to be using Michael Usher on the program meaning he hasn't been on the Sunday Morning News or the Afternoon Edition. Would Peter Overton still be a chance for the weekend job in Sydney? How safe is Mark Ferguson??

OFFLINE   jimbo #5

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Brad @ Oct 28 2008, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree - if Michael Usher was going to get the job then you would think they would just announce it. Nine seem to be shuffling presenters at the moment with Tara Brown on maternity leave. They seem to be using Michael Usher on the program meaning he hasn't been on the Sunday Morning News or the Afternoon Edition. Would Peter Overton still be a chance for the weekend job in Sydney? How safe is Mark Ferguson??

Is Chris Bath still a chance, or has she pledged her "loyalty" to seven? Either way, Fergo needs to go if they are serious about improving ratings and image, and really anyone would be better.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #6

• 20,065 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Lepatron @ Oct 28 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Michael Usher was the front runner, they would have announced it by now.

Who really cares though. It's the weekend presenting gig, hardly anything to boast about, especially coming from Nine.
It should be noted that the above comment was not an attack on Nine, but a reference to it's poor performing news service.

Edited by Reuder7, 28 October 2008 - 10:44 PM.

OFFLINE   jimbo #7

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Reuder7 @ Oct 28 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who really cares though. It's the weekend presenting gig, hardly anything to boast about, especially coming from Nine.

Lol reuder, but it could and should be both weekend and weeknight positions up for grab, if they want to improve in sydney, so that would make it very significant.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #8

• 20,065 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (jimbo @ Oct 28 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol reuder, but it could and should be both weekend and weeknight positions up for grab, if they want to improve in sydney, so that would make it very significant.

I'm sure they're not going to make a big deal about. Come the weekend, Michael Usher is in the chair and it's business as usual.

OFFLINE   Mark #9

• 16,407 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Brad @ Oct 28 2008, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would Peter Overton still be a chance for the weekend job in Sydney?

Pete's been in a few interviews recently and he's discussed being away from home for up to 8 months a year. With bub #2 on the way, I'd think he and Jess would want to spend as much time together as possible. What I would do is give Pete Sunday to Thursday and have Mark Ferguson Friday and Saturday plus 60 Minute interviews to help build his profile. Same with Michael Usher.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #10

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Reuder7 @ Oct 28 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should be noted that the above comment was not an attack on Nine, but a reference to it's poor performing news service.

The weekend news still tends to perform better for Nine, particularly on Sundays.

A few years ago it was not uncommon for Jo Hall to scrape in 500,000 on a Saturday and over 600,000 on a Sunday night.

Sunday night still tends to be Nine (and other channels) highest ratings for news.

Perhaps that ads more to the case for the Sydney weeknight reader to read Sunday - Thursday.

OFFLINE   Lex #11

• Writer

• 3,372 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Is Mark Ferguson really the problem in Sydney? Would Peter Overton do any better? And is it Ian Ross making 7 News win?

I still think lead in is the primary problem - it is the easiest explanation for why Nine News Sunday usually got figures of 1.7 when the footy was on in front of it.

OFFLINE   TGIF #12

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

There's a pretty strong correlation between Ian Ross and Seven News's increased audience in Sydney.

IIRC the impact was so pronounced that he returned early from holidays one year to cement their lead over Nine.

OFFLINE   Lex #13

• Writer

• 3,372 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (TGIF @ Oct 29 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a pretty strong correlation between Ian Ross and Seven News's increased audience in Sydney.

He is the closest thing there is on TV now to Brian Henderson so I guess its not surprising.

Although over the past 2 days Sydney figures have been around 350K which is good for Nine in its current state.

I can't see Peter Overton helping increase ratings at all.

What about Jana Wendt? She'd be great - although she's never going to return to Nine as it is now.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #14

• 7,154 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Lex @ Oct 29 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about Jana Wendt? She'd be great - although she's never going to return to Nine as it is now.

It was rumoured a couple of years back - when Eddie axed so many jobs - but obviously nothing came of it. Would be good though.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

ONLINE   Mr Wade #15

• 1,151 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Well if Jana was presenting i would be watching every night, because Jana has the class as well as the experience. I don't know what it is, but Jana seems like she is easy to warm to, its kind of hard to explain but yeah. But it is extremely unlikely that she will return to nine after she was 'boned'

OFFLINE   tod #16

• 56 posts since
  • March 2008

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Lex @ Oct 29 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Mark Ferguson really the problem in Sydney? Would Peter Overton do any better? And is it Ian Ross making 7 News win?

I still think lead in is the primary problem - it is the easiest explanation for why Nine News Sunday usually got figures of 1.7 when the footy was on in front of it.

I think Overton is the future of Nine News in Sydney but like Fergo he is still too young.

OFFLINE   jimbo #17

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (tod @ Oct 29 2008, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Overton is the future of Nine News in Sydney but like Fergo he is still too young.

Next year, Michael Usher needs a permanent job either on Nine News Sydneys presenting team OR a position on 60 minutes.

OFFLINE   Super Simpsons #18

• 4,559 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (jimbo @ Oct 29 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Next year, Michael Usher needs a permanent job either on Nine News Sydneys presenting team OR a position on 60 minutes.

I agree, I think Usher is a great presenter. Personally, I wouldn't mind him replacing Stefanovik on Today.

OFFLINE   regionaltv #19

• 3,844 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Super Simpsons @ Oct 29 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, I think Usher is a great presenter. Personally, I wouldn't mind him replacing Stefanovik on Today.

Agreed. Michael Usher is a very polished and knowledgable presenter, always worthy of listening to. His presenting style is bold and colourful.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #20

• Retired Admin

• 8,865 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

Mark Ferguson reading the news tonight. I thought we may see someone else, as I expected Mark to read Sundays to Thursdays now that Mike Munro has left the weekend seat.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org