Ten Eyewitness News Content and Appearance

• Please log in to reply
7920 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   bacco007 #1

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,164 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

This thread is for the discussion of Content and Appearance of Ten News only.

Discussion pertaining to Ten News' Presenters and Reporters is to be undertaken in this thread.

The old Ten News thread can be found here.

OFFLINE   Nimeton #2

• 892 posts since
  • December 2002

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

Not sure if I like these split threads... Just means you have to click in more places.

Regardless... I wonder if Ten's announcement of 24/7 Sport on HD will see an end to Ten News at 5:30 - 6:30..... It will be quite annoying for me as it is usually a better time for me to catch the bulletin with many finishing work around 5...

Even though it is supposed to be an all sports channel maybe they'll rebroadcast the news from 6 - 7 on the secondary channels. It would be a good lead in for the new 7pm sports tonight and would help to cement Ten's news/sport offering across the whole of early evening....

Also, banter between Sandra and Brad at the end of the late news tonight confirmed that Brad will be doing both versions of ST....

Edited by Nimeton, 28 October 2008 - 10:45 PM.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #3

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

I think the sports channel is an all new channel, due to launch in late 2009.
IIRC the government is opening up more spectrum for the broadcasters to multichannel.

I assume we'll have a situation similar to the UK, where ITV and Channel 4 have a variety of channels.... Itv1, itv 2, itv 3, 4, More 4, Four movies etc

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #4

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Oct 29 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the sports channel is an all new channel, due to launch in late 2009.
IIRC the government is opening up more spectrum for the broadcasters to multichannel.

I assume we'll have a situation similar to the UK, where ITV and Channel 4 have a variety of channels.... Itv1, itv 2, itv 3, 4, More 4, Four movies etc

NO! The new sports channel will TAKE OVER 24/7 the existing Ten HD channel, and will be simulcast on the new SD multichannel. There will be no additional spectrum allocated to the networks, no nothing.

OFFLINE   Matt01 #5

• 1,625 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Im with Nimeton on the split threads....

On topic: Sydney News sst is ghastly compared to what they had before... you have gone from polished, vibrant and coloured - to grey and dull... seriously what is behind the presenters looks like the carpet you'd find in a local bank branch.

... Should have done something like Melbourne - which looks terrific.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #6

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Matt01 @ Oct 29 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On topic: Sydney News sst is ghastly compared to what they had before... you have gone from polished, vibrant and coloured - to grey and dull... seriously what is behind the presenters looks like the carpet you'd find in a local bank branch.

... Should have done something like Melbourne - which looks terrific.

I've mentioned it before, I totally agree. The old set could've done with a little refresh but it had everything going for it, in creating the news atmosphere. It was raw and happening, whereas the current set is enclosed, grey, almost clostraphobic, conveying the sense that nothing is happening outside that studio.

OFFLINE   TGIF #7

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

It's OK but they could do with changing the opacity of the glass. I kind of like the textures but it's not quite see-through enough.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #8

• Retired Admin

• 8,857 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:06 PM

The current Ten News set is only temporary. They are building a new set, which is why all bulletins are sharing a studio at the moment, so they have room to build the new set.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Super Simpsons #9

• 4,559 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Lepatron @ Oct 29 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The current Ten News set is only temporary. They are building a new set, which is why all bulletins are sharing a studio at the moment, so they have room to build the new set.

Is this in Sydney? When will the new set be ready?

OFFLINE   TGIF #10

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

That's interesting, the current one is pretty good for a temporary set!

OFFLINE   Nimeton #11

• 892 posts since
  • December 2002

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Lepatron @ Oct 29 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... I'd be interested to know your source for this... I've heard the rumor previously but I thought Ten put it down to building a "lounge area" for the morning news or something?

Still, if they are building a new set then the timing would make sense launching the current set towards the end of the year. But that said... How long does the building of a set take? A few weeks seen plausible but certainly not months...?

Edited by Nimeton, 29 October 2008 - 06:36 PM.

OFFLINE   Mike #12

• 18,406 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

Strange, I also read that they were building a soft set for Morning News.

OFFLINE   Splashmo #13

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Oct 29 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strange, I also read that they were building a soft set for Morning News.

That reminds me of AM (or 11am?) on Seven many years ago.

OFFLINE   Matt01 #14

• 1,625 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Well Im glad to hear its only a temporary set.. cause the dull grey stripe look just dont do it for me... not very ten!

OFFLINE   robsNEWS #15

• 915 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Matt01 @ Oct 29 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Im glad to hear its only a temporary set.. cause the dull grey stripe look just dont do it for me... not very ten!

The current set in Sydney is not temporary for the news. They are making changes to the 11am News when Natarsha Belling returns in the new
year, that will include some extras, but the current 5pm News set for Sydney and The Late News will be the same.

What source provided the information that the Sydney set was only temporary. That is not true. They spent lots of money on the current one.
Brisbane and Adelaide will have new sets either years end or in the new year.

OFFLINE   Matt01 #16

• 1,625 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (robsNEWS @ Oct 30 2008, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The current set in Sydney is not temporary for the news. They are making changes to the 11am News when Natarsha Belling returns in the new
year, that will include some extras, but the current 5pm News set for Sydney and The Late News will be the same.

What source provided the information that the Sydney set was only temporary. That is not true. They spent lots of money on the current one.

...Well thats dissapointing... they spent alot of money and got got dudded big time! What a shame.

OFFLINE   robsNEWS #17

• 915 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Matt01 @ Oct 30 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Well thats dissapointing... they spent alot of money and got got dudded big time! What a shame.

I like the new set. Its bright. I must say though the backdrop that looks like carpet on the wall is a bit out of date.
I think Ten were wanting to give it a ITN/BBC feel about it, as with the updated news theme...............The news theme on
the Late News is awesome. Lots of thumping beats and drums....very Ten.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #18

• Retired Admin

• 8,857 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (robsNEWS @ Oct 30 2008, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"A Ten News spokeswoman said speculation over the show could have surfaced from the shuffling of the station's news set.

With a rebuild under way, the network's 11am, 6pm and late night bulletins have been sharing a set."

http://www.news.com....5012964,00.html
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #19

• 19,994 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Lepatron @ Oct 30 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"A Ten News spokeswoman said speculation over the show could have surfaced from the shuffling of the station's news set.

With a rebuild under way, the network's 11am, 6pm and late night bulletins have been sharing a set."

http://www.news.com....5012964,00.html

Doesn't exactly say the 5pm News will get a new set. robsNEWS has set the record straight anyway.

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #20

• 3,250 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

huh? when was there a 6pm bulletin? typo!
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain