Ten Eyewitness News Content and Appearance

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Composition Dept #61

• 1,300 posts since
  • November 2003

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

They have a special projection for Ten News tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0005.jpg
  • 0015.jpg

Edited by Composition Dept, 20 November 2008 - 05:28 PM.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #62

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Gents, I've really got to tell you that that "right here, right now" promo they keep playing all the time really gives me the shits. All that loud zappy music & snappy editing & flashy camera angles is a bit over the top & out of place for people whose job it is is essentially to sit behind a desk & read off an auto-cue...
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   robsNEWS #63

• 915 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

I think Ten is one step ahead when it comes to making news promos. The "Right Here Right Now" promo is the best one they have had.
Its actioned packed and pacey......as news is and Ten obviously are trying to get the point across that its fast and on the go.......

Have not seen the Adelaide or Perth versions. Only Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.....

OFFLINE   robsNEWS #64

• 915 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

Does anyone have any caps of the Brisbane News at Five and the storms.........?

Does anyone have any caps of the Brisbane News at Five and the storms.........?

OFFLINE   mitch #65

• 109 posts since
  • April 2005

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

special queensland storm edition of ten news tonight.

new update end cap with bill and georgie infront of a city background.

OFFLINE   ppx #66

• 113 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

Only a half-hour edition however.

Went to sports tonight, as usual, at 5:30pm.

OFFLINE   Travis #67

• 3,983 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (SKaVeN @ Nov 21 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gents, I've really got to tell you that that "right here, right now" promo they keep playing all the time really gives me the shits. All that loud zappy music & snappy editing & flashy camera angles is a bit over the top & out of place for people whose job it is is essentially to sit behind a desk & read off an auto-cue...

I`m the exact opposite. I love it. It is so fast paced and Action Packed. This is what all networks should be doing!

OFFLINE   Glen #68

• 755 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

Ten News just did an extended news bulletin in Queensland, running until 6.30pm. I can't tell you of the content, since I only saw the closer at 6.30pm.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #69

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

Could it have been the level crossing incident in Nth Qld that killed two train drivers?

I wonder how their extended bulletins have been rating!

OFFLINE   Lepatron #70

• Retired Admin

• 8,865 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Glen @ Nov 28 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten News just did an extended news bulletin in Queensland, running until 6.30pm. I can't tell you of the content, since I only saw the closer at 6.30pm.

Were you watching Ten HD?
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Glen #71

• 755 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Lepatron @ Nov 29 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were you watching Ten HD?

It was through the Foxtel re-broadcast, and we don't get the HD Channels in our package, so no.

OFFLINE   Otacon2009 #72

• 3,272 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

In regards to the Witness Ten News promo, IMO, the promo belongs in 2001, not 2008.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #73

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (PerthTV @ Nov 22 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SKaVeN @ Nov 21 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I`m the exact opposite. I love it. It is so fast paced and Action Packed. This is what all networks should be doing!

Nah, I think it's a bit extreme & over the top & that there are better & more relevant ways of promoting a news team. All I see here is some over-indulgent ego-stroking. Yes, I agree & take your point that the news events themselves can be very exciting. But the main focus of this particular promo is not so much about the news but rather about the people who are sitting behind the desk & reading it out to us off an auto-cue which is why, for me, this juxtaposition of content & packaging misfires completely.

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   Fyturis #74

• 1,112 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Even though Nine news has relaunched I think that Tens News bullitens are the most polished in the Nation and there is just something about that new theme that oozes (STAND UP and WATCH ITS TEN NEWS WATCH IT).and even though they cover local they havent dropped the bar as much as NIne And Seven have.

Edited by Fyturis, 01 December 2008 - 06:35 PM.

OFFLINE   jojo #75

• 222 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Fyturis @ Dec 1 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though Nine news has relaunched I think that Tens News bullitens are the most polished in the Nation and there is just something about that new theme that oozes (STAND UP and WATCH ITS TEN NEWS WATCH IT).and even though they cover local they havent dropped the bar as much as NIne And Seven have.

totally agree. huge fan of ten news.

OFFLINE   Journo #76

• 205 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Fyturis @ Dec 1 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree as well Ten News bulletins are much more professional with excellent presenters and reporters compared to the other two commercial stations.
The music is better as well because it captures your attention and you know you are watching Ten News particularly when they come back from an ad break.
The Ten News ads are also great, I love how they show behind the scenes in the newsroom. People on this site who say news readers just come in and read the auto cue,
have a lot to learn, presenters like Sandra Sully are there seven hours before the bulletin goes to air and do not leave until well after.

Edited by Journo, 01 December 2008 - 08:13 PM.

OFFLINE   TV Head #77

• 18,617 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ten News is my favourite but I don't agree about GFX and Sets, The changes over the last few months have been a big letdown compared to the old look. Melbourne's news set excluded.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #78

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Journo @ Dec 1 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree as well Ten News bulletins are much more professional with excellent presenters and reporters compared to the other two commercial stations.
The music is better as well because it captures your attention and you know you are watching Ten News particularly when they come back from an ad break.
The Ten News ads are also great, I love how they show behind the scenes in the newsroom. People on this site who say news readers just come in and read the auto cue,
have a lot to learn, presenters like Sandra Sully are there seven hours before the bulletin goes to air and do not leave until well after.

G'day Journo,

If you're responding in part to what I said, I wish to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that that is all that they do as that would be a rather naive perspective that I don't believe any reasonably intelligent person would presume. However, it is all we (the viewing public) see them do in a news programme &, consequentially, all we see them do in this promo. And, as I stated in my last couple of posts, I don't see that that as an occupation befits exciting music & flashy zooming camera angles.

Yes, the content of a news programme can be very exciting to watch, but not because of the role of a news reader (who is not even supposed to involve him/herself emotionally anyway). I'm not saying that news readers don't work hard & I never implied that they were less professional & talented than their counterparts on rival commercial networks & never ventured to attempt to make that comparison.

I think the fast tempo, zappy excitement music & flashy camera angles to show us how exciting the news is might've befitted a news promo that used footage of what makes the news exciting; the stories themselves as the feature content to promote the news programmes. A promo real of the news readers sitting behind the desk reading off the auto-cue might've suited different packing. That's all I'm saying. All due respect gents, but I think you possibly may have slightly misinterpreted my point.

Take live sport as another example. I'm sure most of us would agree that live sport & video footage of live sport highlights can be very exciting to watch. But people whose job it is to sit in front of the camera & present & talk about sport can be albeit it very interesting, professional & informative, but not exciting. The fast zappy music & flashy camera angles is a good way to promote the sport but if they were going to do one just for the presenters, perhaps a difference package would better fit the bill.

Anyway, not that it's something that's worth banging on about I suppose...

Edited by SKaVeN, 02 December 2008 - 01:50 AM.

OFFLINE   Journo #79

• 205 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (SKaVeN @ Dec 2 2008, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day Journo,

If you're responding in part to what I said, I wish to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that that is all that they do as that would be a rather naive perspective that I don't believe any reasonably intelligent person would presume. However, it is all we (the viewing public) see them do in a news programme &, consequentially, all we see them do in this promo. And, as I stated in my last couple of posts, I don't see that that as an occupation befits exciting music & flashy zooming camera angles.

Yes, the content of a news programme can be very exciting to watch, but not because of the role of a news reader (who is not even supposed to involve him/herself emotionally anyway). I'm not saying that news readers don't work hard & I never implied that they were less professional & talented than their counterparts on rival commercial networks & never ventured to attempt to make that comparison.

I think the fast tempo, zappy excitement music & flashy camera angles to show us how exciting the news is might've befitted a news promo that used footage of what makes the news exciting; the stories themselves as the feature content to promote the news programmes. A promo real of the news readers sitting behind the desk reading off the auto-cue might've suited different packing. That's all I'm saying. All due respect gents, but I think you possibly may have slightly misinterpreted my point.

Take live sport as another example. I'm sure most of us would agree that live sport & video footage of live sport highlights can be very exciting to watch. But people whose job it is to sit in front of the camera & present & talk about sport can be albeit it very interesting, professional & informative, but not exciting. The fast zappy music & flashy camera angles is a good way to promote the sport but if they were going to do one just for the presenters, perhaps a difference package would better fit the bill.

Anyway, not that it's something that's worth banging on about I suppose...

I get what you are saying now, sorry about the misinterpretation. I agree it would have been exciting with pictures of news stories. They probably should have shown other things the newsreaders do like typing scripts and interviews showing other reporters.

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #80

• 1,574 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

No need to apologise, mate. Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you know where I'm coming from now. cool.gif