Analysis of the ratings system

325 replies to this topic

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #161

• Forum Administrator

• 11,692 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

one question there is no way to tell what people watch so how do they get the ratings

read this document from the OzTAM website: http://www.oztam.com...ingsprocess.pdf

OFFLINE   atefooterz #162

• 1,892 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

A quick question about the foxtel iqratings, at the house i am minding the iq is left on to do it`s recording for scheduled shows, meanwhile even though the tv is not on does it count the chanel it is currently on, as a viewer or is it smart enough to show no output is being received by the tv ?

sbs is getting a heap of bonus kudos 24/7, if it counts this box haha !

OFFLINE   Super Simpsons #163

• 4,559 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Does anyone know how I could access demographic information for individual TV shows rather than the network as a whole. I remember that these used to be available, have they stopped releasing them?

Thanks!

OFFLINE   Swanny #164

• Retired Admin

• 4,390 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

They are generally included in the first few posts of each ratings thread. They don't seem to be posted for non-ratings though (as far as I can see). Haven't checked if the networks have been sending them out at all this week though. But check through a few threads from a couple of weeks back and you should find them :)

OFFLINE   Super Simpsons #165

• 4,559 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

They are generally included in the first few posts of each ratings thread. They don't seem to be posted for non-ratings though (as far as I can see). Haven't checked if the networks have been sending them out at all this week though. But check through a few threads from a couple of weeks back and you should find them :)

Cheers! I forgot it was non-ratings.

OFFLINE   Ryan #166

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,200 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

A new system from media agency Ikon known as AdBreaks has provided a snapshot of the habits of television viewers during commercial breaks.

The Spy Report
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

ONLINE   newtaste #167

• News Contributor

• 5,374 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

I was wondering just how accurate OzTam is. Sydney has approx 1.6 million households. http://www.metrostra...ANALYSIS-3.html http://www.abs.gov.a...tures20Dec 2010 In Sydney, OzTam surveys 765 households, which is 0.048% of the 1.6 mil households. Sydney has a population of approx 4.5 million, the average household size in NSW is approx 2.5, so OzTam surveys approx 1913 people in those 765 households, which is 0.043% of the Sydney population.

NBN, Prime and SC10 are broadcast into the Central Coast which is part of the Sydney area, yet they never get a mention in the Sydney ratings. Surely they would all rate higher than SBS Two. WIN, Prime and SC10 from Wollongong are fortuitously watched across Sydney, yet they don't rate. TVS doesn't get listed, but is that because they don't pay OzTam? And there are other subscription television services such as TARBS, TVB, and Vision Asia that are commercially successful but are not rated - only Foxtel is.

OFFLINE   bacco007 #168

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,184 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Discussion closed - 20/10/2011

ONLINE   TV Cynic #169

• News Contributor

• 12,039 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

From today's Fairfax papers:

OzTAM ... has set-top boxes in 3035 homes in the five mainland state capitals. No Tasmania, no territories. What's more, they don't include regional ratings - they are calculated separately - in their totals.

Read more

OFFLINE   Squee! #170

• Forum Moderator

• 11,274 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Isn't this much less then people assumed?
Interesting.

OFFLINE   Matlock #171

• News Contributor

• 6,272 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

So 3035 boxes representing about 10 million households = using a microscope to identify craters on Pluto...

For all we know, Extra could be Number 1 in ratings.

ONLINE   TelevisionAU #172

• Forum Administrator

• 11,692 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

According to OzTAM

In terms of panel size relative to the overall population, OzTAM's panel is among the world's largest.

And that same Fairfax article

OzTAM use a bigger sample per capita than Britain and the US

OFFLINE   duke #173

• 757 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

From today's Fairfax papers:

Read more

That info has been here for years http://www.agbnielse...untry=Australia

OFFLINE   Leostar #174

• 4,871 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Just wondering how they are able to calculate the time shifting figures on DVR's? Or is time shifting exclusively for online catch up etc?

In this day and age I am surpised that with Digital television that figures can't somehow be calculated from the actual transmission for each station, rather than relying on a box that only a few thousand have.

ONLINE   newtaste #175

• News Contributor

• 5,374 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

How Seven 'won' last week's ratings,

Posted Image

by quoting 6:00am to 12:00am instead of primetime.

http://blogs.theaust...s_surprise_win/

OFFLINE   Matlock #176

• News Contributor

• 6,272 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Can we move this thread out of the archive? Didn't have a better place to put this.

A write-up in today's Courier Fail regarding the 'new race for ratings supremacy.' It heavily favoured Nine and Ten and only dedicates a small section to Seven. It put I Will Survive (10) as the most hyped show of the season, followed by Big Brother (9), Puberty Blues (10). XFactor was the only Seven show on the list at 5th. If anything Nine and Ten look like they've hyped themselves up well post-olympics. It's Seven who needs to worry.

Edited by tmorgan96, 30 June 2012 - 12:20 PM.

OFFLINE   Squee! #177

• Forum Moderator

• 11,274 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

moved :)

the papers always seem to favor whoever is launching the most new shows/who is taking the most risks. Seven is launching the least amount of new shows and isn't really taking any risks, so have practically been omitted.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #178

• News Contributor

• 12,039 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Interesting qote from Ten regarding consolidated ratings data that is probably roughly true for the other commercials as well.

Across the first seventeen weeks of the 2012 ratings year (Weeks 7 to 25), TEN has seen a 10.8% jump in its total people audience (6pm to 10.30pm) with the addition of time-shifted viewing data. Among 18 to 49s, the increase is 11.8%.

ONLINE   TV Cynic #179

• News Contributor

• 12,039 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

OzTAM has extended its contract with Nielsen for the supply of television audience measurement (TAM) services in the five Australian metropolitan markets.

The number of homes that are sampled will increase from 3035 to 3500.
This will giew the following panel: 950 in Sydney; 900 in Melbourne; 650 in Brisbane; 500 in Adelaide; 500 in Perth
Also 10% of homes will have their PC monitored for broadcast TV viewing.

Media release

OzTAM extends long-term agreement with Nielsen
10 September, 2012
OzTAM today announced the extension of its contract with global information and insights company Nielsen for the supply of television audience measurement (TAM) services in the five Australian metropolitan markets.
The new agreement takes effect on 1 January, 2015 and continues through 2017.
OzTAM CEO Doug Peiffer said: "This new agreement leverages OzTAM’s substantial investments including the introduction of its Time Shift Viewing service, upgrading all panel homes to the state-of-the-art UNITAM metering system and decisions this year to increase the size of the OzTAM panels.
“This contract extension also provides continuity as Nielsen and OzTAM work together to enhance the service to include the measurement of viewing on other screens.
“We are also pleased to announce that over the course of 2012 the OzTAM panel size will increase from 3,035 homes to 3,500 homes, ensuring OzTAM’s continued world’s-best positioning compared to any TAM panel in any market.”
By market, this will take the number of panel homes to 950 in Sydney; 900 in Melbourne; 650 in Brisbane; 500 in Adelaide; 500 in Perth.
In addition, ten per cent of OzTAM’s 3,500 panel homes will have both their TV sets and their PCs metered for viewing of broadcast TV content.
“We are currently working with Nielsen to develop the options for reporting viewing across multiple screens and to provide initial top line insights to the marketplace later this year,” Mr Peiffer added.
David Ellem, CEO of Nielsen’s Television Audience Measurement business in Australia, said: “Television viewing habits are evolving as new technologies create additional opportunities to view and we look forward to working with OzTAM to help Australian media owners, agencies and advertisers understand and leverage these developments in the coming years.”

OFFLINE   Evo #180

• Formerly Evulant

• 5,599 posts since
  • August 2012

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Lol @ all of the fuss about ratings. There's one thing I don't understand. Pretend, for instance, ACA gets 1.3 million, TodayTonight gets 1 million. Well, by OzTam and the general ratings, then wouldn't TodayTonight have lost?

But that's a 2 hundred thousand difference... but what if there were another 2 hundred thousand people which were watching TodayTonight, so the ratings in real life per se makes ACA and TodayTonight both on 1.3 million.

It's more like "Australia's Number #1 (according to people with rating boxes)"

I don't know why those represent the whole country. I think I'm missing something big here, but... I'm a newbie at all this so I may be completely wrong...

Reply to this topic