Freeview

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   TGIF #1

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

This thread will take over from the HD Multichannels one in talking about the various new multichannels (One HD et al) as well as the overall brand launching tomorrow.

Some explanation from <a href="http://report.medias...h-629pm-monday/" target="_blank">The Spy Report</a>:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The network�s marketing blitz has commenced.

The Spy Report has been told Freeview will launch on all five networks at 6.29pm Monday.

This same-time launch is being called a �Roadblock� as there is no way around not seeing it. That is, unless you�re the 20 per cent of viewers watching subscription channels at that time.

The Spy Report has been told there are different version for every region to include the Seven, Nine, Ten, Prime, Southern Cross and WIN networks.

It promotes that Freeview will make 15 channels available to everyone with no contracts or charges and that it is coming in 2009.

Considering the 1829 launch time, all networks are having to re-arrange their schedules and are taking time off their News� or current affairs programs.

In Nine�s case, it is going to break the normal back-to-back News & ACA.

After the initial Monday night launch, all Networks are required to run one spot advertisement between 7pm and 9.30pm every night during the launch period of 24/11 to 20/12/08.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OFFLINE   TV Head #2

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

Your changing the name of the thread to their brand name? Wonder why MS hasn't changed Pay-TV to "Subscription Television" as Foxtel only calls it now biggrin.gif

OFFLINE   TGIF #3

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

I refuse to grant their spin doctors the satisfaction silly.gif It's still very much pay television!

OFFLINE   TV Head #4

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (TGIF @ Nov 23 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I refuse to grant their spin doctors the satisfaction silly.gif It's still very much pay television!

I shall forever call it Digital Television! mischievous.gif

OFFLINE   Velly #5

• 101 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Does anyone know what these 15 channels will be?

OFFLINE   Splashmo #6

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

ABC1
ABC2
ABC HD
Seven
Seven multichannel
7HD
Nine
Nine multichannel
9HD
Ten
ONE
ONE HD
SBS
SBS HD
World News Channel

At least, that's the fifteen I could think of.

OFFLINE   Velly #7

• 101 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

That listing looks pretty good, although it does look like a lot of duplication.

OFFLINE   ando9185 #8

• 2,535 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

There are also the 4 radio channels as well which may be being counted at the moment (before the multichannels start).

- ABC DiG
- ABC DiG Jazz
- SBS Radio 1
- SBS Radio 2

OFFLINE   TV Head #9

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

and the extra Prime View 1,2,3 and Seven 1,2,3 replay channels, can't forget those! silly.gif

OFFLINE   TJ. #10

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

For the Olympics in 2012, Nine said they will have four/five channel of content.

Nine will only have three channels next year, I expect networks be allowed more channels in time? Is that right?

OFFLINE   TV Head #11

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (tjkirk @ Nov 23 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the Olympics in 2012, Nine said they will have four/five channel of content.

Nine will only have three channels next year, I expect networks be allowed more channels in time? Is that right?

How? Will the channels have the bitrate of a YouTube video?

OFFLINE   Moe #12

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Splashmo @ Nov 23 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ABC1
ABC2
ABC HD

I think ABC are factoring in ABC3 as part of their Freeview offering, if not ABC4 as well. They seem intent on them being available next year, but funding for them would be the key.

Seven
Seven multichannel
7HD

Interesting to see what Seven HD/Nine HD are like next year, whether they will stick to their slight change schedules, offer a proper third channel, or do a mix of the main channel and multichannel (my preferred option) trying to have as much HD as possible.

and the extra Prime View 1,2,3 and Seven 1,2,3 replay channels, can't forget those

I remember seeing a long time ago that Seven named them each by the 5 colours of the Seven logo, Seven SD was just Seven Digital but Seven HD was called Seven Orange and you had redirects for Green, Yellow and Blue. Seven are slightly going down that path on air currently, Seven HD is green and Seven SD is red, I wonder if they will look to the past in their branding of the new channel.

Nine
Nine multichannel
9HD

If the temporary redirect on 91 in Brisbane was any hint, the multichannel will have the stupid name of Nine Digital +. A breath of fresh air in giving it a name that doesn't include the word 'nine' at all and really reflects the channel's content and goals. I might do some mocks.

SBS
SBS HD
World News Channel

SBS WNC should be (at least in theory) replaced by SBS World, which would be more like an SBS2, with the exception being all programs would be foreign languages and in most cases subtitled, even in prime time. They are promising to include foreign language children's programming as well. However this may be entirely dependant on the Government giving them more cash, and with Rudd probably wanting to avoid a deficit at all costs, that won't help SBS' case.

Regardless doing such a channel would enable them to provide a service much more in tune with their charter, without having to dump their English language programming, which is often the best stuff on television, even if it doesn't exactly fit with what they are supposed to be doing.

I'd strongly doubt you will see SBS HD as a multichannel any time soon, if ever.

----------
The big question is how much regional areas will see. Prime and Seven Queensland are the only ones that offer full HD multichannels, WIN do most of it, but are massively lacking in some areas and SC does none at all. Hopefully the next two months will see some more detail come out from all the broadcasters.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #13

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

So all these new channels start tomorrow? What's Freeview anyway, we can already access these channels on our digital TVs?

OFFLINE   Squee! #14

• Forum Moderator

• 11,277 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

I'm starting to dread the barrage of "whats freeview" questions at work I'm going to get from Tuesday. crazy.gif

OFFLINE   TV Head #15

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Nov 23 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So all these new channels start tomorrow? What's Freeview anyway, we can already access these channels on our digital TVs?

It's a marketing name. Nothing more.

OFFLINE   Prison Slades #16

• 448 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Nahcoob @ Nov 23 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm starting to dread the barrage of "whats freeview" questions at work I'm going to get from Tuesday. crazy.gif

Why they didn't just stick with calling it "Digital TV" (to everyone, that's what "Freeview" is - another word for "Digital TV") is beyond me...

To quote myself from the Digital Television thread:

QUOTE (Prison Slades @ Nov 23 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the whole idea is idiotic. They should've just stuck with calling it "Digital TV." If they don't explain that "Freeview" is "Digital TV", people will go (like me) "What's Freeview? Is this some sort of new set top box/subscription TV thing/what is it?" However, if they do explain that "Freeview" is "Digital TV" then it makes it redundant, and they should just stick with calling it "Digital TV." Would be a lot better. Just advertise something like "Make the switch to Digital TV. All you need to buy is a set top box, found at your local electronics store. Once you have bought your set top box, there are no ongoing costs and the rest is completely free!"

OFFLINE   TJ. #17

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Nov 23 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How? Will the channels have the bitrate of a YouTube video?

Sorry, I just checked and Nine will have 3 channels, which is right. Foxtel will have 6. Got myself a little confused! silly.gif

OFFLINE   Moe #18

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Well they need a break from what Digital TV has been marketed as in the past, 'Better picture and sound quality'. Now Freeview is being used so they can emphasise the more channels aspect of it, and Digital TV sounds more technical than Freeview does. The marketing starting now is a good way for people to drive STB sales over the Christmas period (I saw them for $30, if you need a stocking filler and you know they don't have digital, there you go, give the gift of TV) which will mean more potential viewers from when the channels do actually start.

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #19

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

To me the entire appeal of digital television comes down to two numbers: 16 and 9!
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Prison Slades #20

• 448 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy James @ Nov 23 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me the entire appeal of digital television comes down to two numbers: 16 and 9!

Too right, mate silly.gif