Freeview

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   southeastsa #81

• 606 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

The Freeview ad aired on WIN Mount Gambier at 6:29 last night, so WIN News was a minute shorter. Normally there is no ad break between WIN News and Seven News.

I can't remember whether they mentioned 15 channels, but if they did, that would be false advertising on a grand scale.

In regional SA, we would only get what ABC and SBS offers, plus:
WIN SA (7 programming) in SD
WIN Ten in SD

Nothing else. This would be the same in the Southern Cross GTS/BKN region, except that they would have SC and SC Ten instead of WIN and WIN Ten.

Edit: Fixed typos.

Edited by southeastsa, 25 November 2008 - 06:54 PM.

OFFLINE   Danny #82

• 615 posts since
  • February 2007

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Freeview = Digital TV... Digital TV = Freeview can I make it any more simple?
Anyway here is a report about Freeview on tonight's ACA, only problem is the term 'Freeview' was only used once with the term 'Digital TV' constantly used, they need to come up with a better marketing exercise if this is going to work.

THE TUBE
online: thetubetv.com.au
twitter: @THETUBEtv

OFFLINE   Alan Cramer #83

• 596 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Wouldn't it have been more logical to allow the existing regional operators to move into the metro markets via their affilate's spare channel and vise-versa? Then the regionals would need to source programming and they could have become independent of their affiliate. This could have been a better option to fill a channel full of programming IMHO. Especially WIN would would be best equiped, with crawford's library, plus all the shows they currently produce along with Bruce's connections with Paramount.

What does this look like?

OFFLINE   Splashmo #84

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

No. That doesn't make much sense at all. I don't see why any network should have to surrender its own channel to an affiliate.

OFFLINE   MICK #85

• 589 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

So would you have to do a rescan in 2009 to get them??

I noticed that Nine Guide on Channel 99 here in Melbourne is now just showing Nine SD and the Guide is gone... so I take it that 9 will be Nine, 99 will be Nines second channel and 90 will be Nine HD....

Wonder what will happen to Channels 72, 73 and 77 though is 7 will only have 3 channels? will those just disappear?

I take it 10 would prob be - 10HD on 12 or 11, OneHD on 1 and 10SD on 10....

OFFLINE   Squee! #86

• Forum Moderator

• 11,277 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (MICK @ Nov 25 2008, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So would you have to do a rescan in 2009 to get them??

I noticed that Nine Guide on Channel 99 here in Melbourne is now just showing Nine SD and the Guide is gone... so I take it that 9 will be Nine, 99 will be Nines second channel and 90 will be Nine HD....

Wonder what will happen to Channels 72, 73 and 77 though is 7 will only have 3 channels? will those just disappear?

I take it 10 would prob be - 10HD on 12 or 11, OneHD on 1 and 10SD on 10....

*head explodes* - Its still THE SAME THING. You won't need to rescan for anything.
In regards to the channels..
Seven should get rid of its useless channels.. they don't need to be there, 10 already has 3 channels set out and your guess for 9 is probably correct.

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #87

• 5,569 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

So what's freeview? laugh.gif talktothehand.gif

Nah saw the ad tonight and it's quite silly, if they wanted people to take up digital tv they should have promoted it as digital tv, not as a new service that is confusing those who already have it.

OFFLINE   mubd #88

• 755 posts since
  • August 2006
  • Location:Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way, Universe No. 279

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

That's 4 now...

OFFLINE   Tranquility #89

• 7,154 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (mubd @ Nov 25 2008, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's 4 now...

Four what?
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   LocalRadio #90

• 1,084 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Tranquility @ Nov 25 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Four what?

Confused people.

OFFLINE   Tranquility #91

• 7,154 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (LocalRadio @ Nov 25 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confused people.

It isn't. Commander Slicer he wasn't.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   LocalRadio #92

• 1,084 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Tranquility @ Nov 25 2008, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't. Commander Slicer he wasn't.

You questioned mubd's post and not Commander Slicer. Also I know CS was being sarcastic.

OFFLINE   Moe #93

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Nahcoob @ Nov 25 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*head explodes* - Its still THE SAME THING. You won't need to rescan for anything.
Seven should get rid of its useless channels.. they don't need to be there, 10 already has 3 channels set out and your guess for 9 is probably correct.

Some viewers might need to rescan, it depends on the box. If you are currently getting a blank screen on 99 instead of the SD channel, you will need to rescan to get the extra channels when they become available. A STB in my house just picked that change up when I tuned to the channel for a few seconds. The same box needed to be rescanned for ABC2 to be on 22.

Basically, if the LCN already exists, few boxes will need to be manually scanned. To my knowledge, all networks except WIN have unnecessary channels right now, which can be utilised to make the channels easier to get. But don't be surprised if you need to rescan though, some really hate having channels moving around. Otherwise just wait for a black out, then your box is forced to rescan.

Edited by Moe, 25 November 2008 - 10:57 PM.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #94

• 2,835 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:21 AM

I just think the biggest problem here is the promise of "15 channels"

To 99% of the population, that means - 15 channels. Flick the button 15 times and see...15 individual channels showing 15 different things. 15 options. 15 choices. 15 channels.

They won't understand that 7HD will be a similcast of 7. Or that ABCHD is a silmicast of ABC1. Even if those HD channels "Breakaway" for 3 hours a day - 99% of cosumers will not recognise that. For them, they'l flick and say "it's just the same channel". 15 channels to most people means....well, 15 channels!

Instead they will get

ABC1
ABC2
Seven
Seven yet to be named new channel
Nine
Nine's yet to be named new channel
Ten
One
SBS

I doubt people will consider "SBS World News" a channel - it is in a language other than English 24 hours a day

So that is 9 channels....(and 9 only presuming Seven and Nine launch they new channels by the time Freeview is launched)

So I suspect many people going and buying a new TV or set top box, taking it home and setting it up going "15 channels, WTF - it's only 9!!"

Edited by KICK-IT, 26 November 2008 - 08:55 AM.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #95

• 2,835 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

On that "ACA" report, I love the line "If you're one of the 70% of people who doesn't want Pay TV".......LOL

I would say that 70% probably does want it, they've just decided not to spend the money on it.

It's like saying "If you're one of 70% of people who has not wanted to travel overseas this year".......

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #96

• 5,569 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:46 AM

Well 70% of all figures and statistics are made up anyway. wink.gif

But I agree about people buying a new tv and stb under the belief it will be 15 different channels and that's how it is being promoted which is wrong - it might work for the marketing departments to get people to buy the devices but in the long term people are going to feel ripped off and dare I say it, a few will revolt and turn to the pay tv services to get the extra channels on their new tv.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #97

• 2,835 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

To everyone wondering if viewers in Southern Cross Ten broadcasts areas will receive One HD come April.....has anyone thought of this:

When Ten HD shuts down and is replaced with One HD, Southern Cross Ten stations will have no choice but to take One HD as the multi channel as Ten will stop broadcasting it's main channel in HD. That signal will not be avail to them anymore. And with HD quota laws in place they will have to broadcast a HD channel. They don't have the content or facilities to set up there own HD channel - so that basically by default leaves them with One HD. No?

Also, I wonder if that played a part in Ten going with "One HD" and a green logo that bares no resemblence to the Ten logo, knowing that Southern Cross Ten stations would be taking it too? Most here were expecting "Ten Sports Net" or something, but they went with a brand not tied to the mother Ten brand at all - "One"

Wonder if Seven and Nine will follow Ten and shut down the HD signal of their main channel and re-launch it as their new multi-channel?

Or if they will do (what most people expected Ten would do) and keep Seven HD and Nine HD - and launching their new multi channel as SD.

And then...what will they call them?

Nine+
Nine Life
Seven 2
Seven Extra

??

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #98

• Forum Administrator

• 11,704 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (KICK-IT @ Nov 26 2008, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To everyone wondering if viewers in Southern Cross Ten broadcasts areas will receive One HD come April.....has anyone thought of this:

When Ten HD shuts down and is replaced with One HD, Southern Cross Ten stations will have no choice but to take One HD as the multi channel as Ten will stop broadcasting it's main channel in HD. That signal will not be avail to them anymore. And with HD quota laws in place they will have to broadcast a HD channel. They don't have the content or facilities to set up there own HD channel - so that basically by default leaves them with One HD. No?

Also, I wonder if that played a part in Ten going with "One HD" and a green logo that bares no resemblence to the Ten logo, knowing that Southern Cross Ten stations would be taking it too? Most here were expecting "Ten Sports Net" or something, but they went with a brand not tied to the mother Ten brand at all - "One"

Wonder if Seven and Nine will follow Ten and shut down the HD signal of their main channel and re-launch it as their new multi-channel?

I think Ten are very brave to wipe out their HD simulcast in favour of a niche channel, but I can't see Nine or Seven going down that same path

OFFLINE   MICK #99

• 589 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Nahcoob @ Nov 25 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see how it is a dumb question...

I'm sure i'm the same as alot of other people who deleted all the duplicate channels, most people I know only have 7 and 70 and deleted all the rest like 71,72,73 and 77 and deleted all the crap like the Nine Guide and Channel 12 which was just the same as Channel 1... my TV for example only has 1 and 10 so I didn't have to go though all the useless duplicated channels as we use the up and down buttons to change channels.

So I take it I will have to do a re-scan... Now going by my example that people out there may have gone an deleted all the duplicate channels... I wonder how they will they tell these people as of say this date do a rescan??

Edit: Thanks Moe for answering my question about re-scanning...

OFFLINE   TV Head #100

• 18,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (TelevisionAU @ Nov 26 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Ten are very brave to wipe out their HD simulcast in favour of a niche channel, but I can't see Nine or Seven going down that same path

I think it's stupid. A SD sports channel would be enough. No HD channel for the network is embarrassing.