Demise of Television

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   jason120au #121

• 561 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Benno @ Dec 24 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think selling episodes is not going to take off, especially selling overseas ones. The standard television paradigm is free TV (except for DVDs and Pay TV - but the latter is about choice, not content). So if they had ads in them, that would be a more suitable option. I doubt many people would pay to download an episode of desperate housewives 4+ months after the US airdate. Even homegrown shows i still feel the same way about. They would make more money having ads with them.

I personally think a better way of doing it is stream the shows for free on the internet however force ads, ie you are unable to fast forward the program during the ads in the show. Charging for the shows is not the way the free to airs should do it in my opinion.

OFFLINE   Mike #122

• 18,402 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well Pay-TV isn't going to have its programming online for free are they? silly.gif

OFFLINE   Benno #123

• 128 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

They'd probably offer pay-per-view movies through deals with movie studios. They would probably be forced to offer content with ads for free viewing in the near future. They could also offer the option of either having ads in video content, or paying a bit extra for ad-free content.

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #124

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

I've been taking a few weeks off from work (and my blog) over summer - but I go back to work on Monday (and as a side thing back to my blog) so to get back in the swing I fired up another blog I started a while back List22 and I've listed the 22 worst things to happen in Australian TV in 2008

Have a read - check it out! smile.gif

Everyone gets a serve!
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Mike #125

• 18,402 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

Nice Seinfeld list. I have not seen a few of them so will keep a look out.

OFFLINE   Benno #126

• 128 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

I liked that list Jimmy James. I completely agree about number one - they put too much emphasis into their reality shows (and anything in the way was unimportant), with barely anything finishing within 5 minutes of its advertised time. A 5 minutes late here, a 10 minutes late there, a 55 minutes late there (BB finale in 07). Not everyone loved reality shows, and i hated them. Eventually, people turned off, big time.

I half disagree about the fast-tracking dilemma, for the serial shows anyway. There was no way i would wait until february for the new seasons of prison break or heroes. For non-serial shows, the solutions are definately less clear-cut.

Heroes, good god what happened? I loved the first 3 episodes this season, and was sure they corrected the mistakes of season 2, but it got worse, much worse. I was constantly looking at the timer on my dvd player seeing how much longer each episode had to go - it was that bad. I promised myself i would finish the end of the chapter, and i'll highly likely not watch the next one.

Nine can't stick with anything. They screwed up one of their longest running dramas - McLeods Daughters just because it dipped under the 1m mark. Stupid, very stupid. Now barely anything during summer gets over that, and they still play it late on a saturday night. Truly idiodic. Then there is their 3 saturation shows, 2 1/2 men, ramsay and 20 to 1.

Finally, factuals, fly on the wall shows, etc etc - make them go away, quickly.

At least there's TV torrents.....

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #127

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

Yeah I think ten set up their own demise with their devotion to these reality shows at the expense of all else - they make them into such programming pillars that if one collapses - the whole schedule goes down.

And Heroes - you know about 2 months ago I had hope for it - but it's just been getting more and more contrived and twisted with each episode - the final straw for me was Nathan and Peter and Hatian fighting in the jungle - and Nathan decides that he's gonna join forces with his father to make the world a better place - it was such a turn on a dime paper thin justification for what should be a major decision - it's like Tim Kring is playing a game of Krazy Chess.

And yeah factuals - I've had enough of them, but obviously people meter people haven't!
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   Jimmy James #128

• 4,884 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Mike 360 @ Jan 4 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice Seinfeld list. I have not seen a few of them so will keep a look out.

Thanks Mike

I wrote that list a while back (I have actually seen every single ep - one of the few shows I can say that about) and there a heaps of great eps to choose from but those are my absolute faves!)
Words to live by...
Follow the RANT
TELEVISION RANT

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #129

• 8,257 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Here's an interesting article from today's SMH, about the future of TV in Australia.
See: http://www.smh.com.a...ge#contentSwap1
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   jason120au #130

• 561 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

I think Channel Tten has made a good move placing a large percentage of its shows available for catch up on its website, including Biggest Loser, So you think you can dance, Master Chef Australia etc. Channel Seven need to left their game and start doing the same. Channel Nine which used charge money to download episodes of McClouds Daughters also need change the way they deliver their catch up content online.When Ladette to Lady was on I tried to download an episode I missed the night before. You have to download the annoying Hiro palyer that maxes out your ram, each episode was over a gig in size, it wasn't very convenient. Channel Ten has the right approach allowing their shows to be watched as flash videos.This method is where TV is moving into as explained in the article. The advertising potential is there, I don't understand why the TV stations are not embarrassing this.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #131

• Forum Administrator

• 11,093 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (jason120au @ May 5 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand why the TV stations are not embarrassing this.

"embracing", perhaps?

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #132

• 8,257 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

An interesting article from today's The Age Green Guide:

MIDWAY through the nation's digital TV switch-over, a small band of viewers has chosen to abandon the medium altogether.
The government's quarterly Digital Tracker report shows that 2 per cent, or 141,000 households, of the 7.9 million Australian households still to switch over to digital say they don't have a working television set that has been used in the past six months.
Parenting blogger Amber Greene of Brunswick Heads says she hasn't had a telly for six years and would not go back to one.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...0418-1x63o.html
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Squee! #133

• Forum Moderator

• 10,927 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

hipsters. Its a common thing for anyone who doesn't own a TV, much like with vegans to brag about it and get a superiority complex about it.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #134

• News Contributor

• 4,489 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Agreed. I still have a TV here, usually for sports and Aussie content. Otherwise there's still my PS3 or Mac to hook up to it and watch my programs.

ONLINE   Matlock #135

• News Contributor

• 5,960 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

hipsters. Its a common thing for anyone who doesn't own a TV, much like with vegans to brag about it and get a superiority complex about it.

Haha. Your comment reminded me of this greens ad.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #136

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

An interesting article from today's The Age Green Guide:

Read more: http://www.theage.co...0418-1x63o.html

I wish journalists wouldn't compile reports about people who are not normal.

OFFLINE   Aurora #137

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,890 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

No doubt whatsoever that there is a small section of the community (and growing at a steady pace I'm sure) who do not see any worth or value in having a television in the residence (outside those that haven't bothered because they have no time). It's small but it's there.

Edited by Aurora, 19 April 2012 - 10:32 PM.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.