Media Spy's new look

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
160 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   antzzz #41

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hmmm, mixed feelings here - it looks pretty good, although I would say that some aspects are a step backwards in comparison to the previous skin.

Also, the green gives me multiple flashbacks to the mid 90s... is that heritage green?? :unsure:
EDIT Who am I to talk? Look at my avatar? If thats not a flashback, then I don't know what is?

Maybe a blue would have been nicer??

Edited by antzzz, 05 August 2009 - 11:35 PM.

Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   antzzz #42

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Heres a quick photoshop colour change... What do you guys think?

Attached Files

OFFLINE   Moe #43

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

You're on Internet Explorer, aren't you?

Have you had a chance to look at the site in IE6 yet? Make sure you are sitting down first.

OFFLINE   jono24 #44

• 2,641 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Why is it that when you click on 'Edit' now, you automatically go to 'Quick Edit', and cannot preview, and have to re-navigate again to 'Full Editor' if you wish to preview the edited post?

OFFLINE   antzzz #45

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Why is it that when you click on 'Edit' now, you automatically go to 'Quick Edit', and cannot preview, and have to re-navigate again to 'Full Editor' if you wish to preview the edited post?

Nobody uses the full edit.

OFFLINE   jono24 #46

• 2,641 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:51 PM

Nobody uses the full edit.

Unless you like to preview your edited post prior to posting, which some of us do, but thanks.

At least before you had the choice, which was my point.

Edited by jono24, 05 August 2009 - 11:55 PM.

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #47

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,288 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

The Header,Footer,Buttons and even Topic Title Bar are all green! Green is everywhere!

Well, maybe I'm colourblind then, because I see a blue-grey colour. Perhaps its my monitor
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Travis #48

• 3,938 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Well, maybe I'm colourblind then, because I see a blue-grey colour. Perhaps its my monitor

It must be either of those. It is definitely green.

OFFLINE   jono24 #49

• 2,641 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:30 AM

I think the new link 'Latest news from the Spy Report' wont work, at least before you could see the headline and could look at it if you wanted, and even tho it's listed in the 'Recently Added Topics', it's not as obvious and wont get the usual attention.

Edited by jono24, 06 August 2009 - 12:32 AM.

OFFLINE   Travis #50

• 3,938 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:34 AM

I think the new link 'Latest news from the Spy Report' wont work, at least before you could see the headline and could look at it if you wanted, and even tho it's listed in the 'Recently Added Topics', it's not as obvious and wont get the usual attention.

TGIF said it was only temprary. My guess is when the new TSR Wordpress Theme is complete, it will change over and the forum will disappear

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #51

• 2,793 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

TGIF said it was only temprary. My guess is when the new TSR Wordpress Theme is complete, it will change over and the forum will disappear

Kind of ironic. For a site that spends so much time ripping to threads the on air look and graphics for newscasts, tv networks and tv shows - this is pretty damned ugly!

The green, orange and while is just foul. And the layout and spacing of things just off and awkward.

Even though orange, brown and red was not my favourite colour scheme either (the old look) it looked more pro than this look. This is a step backwards.

Sorry guys.

Edited by KICK-IT, 06 August 2009 - 12:49 AM.

OFFLINE   tv guy2 #52

• 3,943 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:58 AM

Kind of ironic. For a site that spends so much time ripping to threads the on air look and graphics for newscasts, tv networks and tv shows - this is pretty damned ugly!

The green, orange and while is just foul. And the layout and spacing of things just off and awkward.

Even though orange, brown and red was not my favourite colour scheme either (the old look) it looked more pro than this look. This is a step backwards.

Sorry guys.

Sorry, but I have to agree with KICK-IT.

OFFLINE   jono24 #53

• 2,641 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

I think Mike 360 put it in his usual succinct way -

Appalling. I'm totally surprised by this theme, What. A. Total. Shocker.

What were you thinking??

But apparently things had to change for security reasons etc, so maybe we should give it some more time.

OFFLINE   antzzz #54

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:24 AM

But apparently things had to change for security reasons etc, so maybe we should give it some more time.

Security reasons hey? I didn't realise that MediaSpy was that 'mission critical'... my bad...

It really does look a bit 'bland'... the green doesn't do ANYTHING at all to make the site look appealing - lets revert back a version :))

OFFLINE   jono24 #55

• 2,641 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:29 AM

Security reasons hey ? I didn't realise that MediaSpy was that 'mission critical'... my bad...

Yes, read back over the forums and you'll understand what I meant.

Here you go - just had a quick look back:

Lepatron - 02 August 2009 - 02:33 PM -

Because this software has different skinning requirements, the only way you can really know the full extent of what you need to do for the skin is to work in a live environment.

The other reason is that the skin TGIF has been working on isn't ready and we couldn't delay the upgrade any longer due to security concerns - we were getting a lot of spammers trying to sign up (in the hundreds every day).

Edited by jono24, 06 August 2009 - 01:49 AM.

OFFLINE   Adam #56

• 994 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:31 AM

I think everyone involved has done a good job under the circumstances. Once I scroll past the header I'm a fan of the new look.

Some of my obsessive compulsive 'complaints', from the point of view of a designer.

- The 'Latest news from the Spy Report' tab is too close to the logo. It doesn't give the logo room to breathe, there's not enough white space around it.
- If you're going to leave that tab there please bump it to the right by about 10 pixels to align it with the rest of the site's features.
- I think the logo has lost quite a lot of the Media Spy 'brand'. There is no logo anymore, just weak white text. The colours, the transparent background image in the header, the light gradients, and the 'SPY' part of the logo had been with the site for so long and were probably dropped in this version only because we've lost Mr. Q.
- The reds and maroons of the previous header were as much a part of the brand as orange was. I didn't realize it until it was gone.

If nothing else please give the logo more breathing space.

PS. my .swf avatar doesn't appear to be loading, even though the avatar section says they are supported.

Edited by Adam, 06 August 2009 - 05:35 AM.

OFFLINE   bacco007 #57

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,180 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

This will change when the new TSR theme goes online - we have changed the way that the headline will work but I'm not entirely happy with the way that it works and I have to re-write parts of it, however I'm currently away so its had to wait.

OFFLINE   antzzz #58

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

Who actually designed this theme? - MrQ was pretty spot on and 'current' with trends.

OFFLINE   TGIF #59

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

It's good to know some things about this site never change :D

To quickly go through questions, I designed the theme with input from the other admins and moderators. We probably had about four or five completely different looks before we settled on this one. Took us about a year to find something that felt right, and I've spent the last month or two working on this particular skin.

Security reasons mean that the admins were deleting 200+ spam registrations every week and that it would have theoretically been possible to bring the website to its knees with the right socket wrench or something.

It was meant to be green, and since I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of IE6 I have wilfully ignored it, at least for now. The bane of every web developer's existence.

OFFLINE   J Bar #60

• 15,197 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

You're on Internet Explorer, aren't you?

Seems to be a bug with that browser at the moment. I'm going to fix it tomorrow.

In the meantime join the rest of us in the 21st century and download yourself a modern browser :)

Have no choice but to view it in IE where I am.
The header looks jagged, the colours look grey and orange and the light grey print in posts is harder to read.

I'm not too fussed about the changes but the old graphics at the top looked better.

Edited by J Bar, 06 August 2009 - 09:51 AM.

J Bar