East West 101

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Tas Tv Man #1

• 154 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

This is a new Australian cop show on SBS starting William McInnes and Susie Porter has anyone seen the ads for it because it looks like a good show

OFFLINE   J Bar #2

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

The Herald today says there have already been overseas sales to Israel and the Middle East.
J Bar

OFFLINE   bigfella #3

• 1,301 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

From the shows Wikipedia page:

"This series is yet another example of Politicly Correct social engineering. The Producer and Script Writer are appeasers of Islam and have singularly failed to show any significant understanding of either the religion of Islam or the cultural practices of contemporary "western" Muslims. Produced in a supposed climate of Australian xenophobia and racism, and designed specifically to "counter" same, the work is propaganda for cultural elitism."

Wikipedia

confused.gif
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening.

DON'T LET THE ABC DIE

OFFLINE   J Bar #4

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:48 AM

Posted by a redneck bogan.

Edited by J Bar, 05 December 2007 - 11:49 AM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   franco #5

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

[This "101" reference in the title...it's American, surely? Is that a cheap marketing ploy or what?

OFFLINE   J Bar #6

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (franco @ Dec 5 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This "101" reference in the title...it's American, surely? Is that a cheap marketing ploy or what?

It's a university term that's usually applied to a beginner's course but it's not unique to America. So maybe they are saying that this series is examining east and west relations for beginners.

Wikipedia says:
'101 (number)': At universities in Australia, Canada, South Africa, and the United States, often the course number of basic or entry-level courses. By extension, it is informally used elsewhere to indicate things that are meant for beginners.
Wikipedia: 101 (number)

Edited by J Bar, 05 December 2007 - 03:23 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   J Bar #7

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:30 AM

I really enjoyed it and it was better than I expected. Some really intense drama and it still had a bit of comedy chucked in there too. Brilliant performances by William McInnes, Susie Porter and Don Hany was awesome in his role too.

My only gripe was that they kept saying that they were in Lakemba, when it was obviously filmed in Auburn. That big mosque is a major landmark in Auburn and most Sydneysiders would probably know that Lakemba doesn't have such a major landmark on the skyline

I was under the impression that all the episodes would be about the western suburbs and Middle Eastern immigrants but it looks like this multicultural crime squad works all over the city. From the preview, next week's episode focusses on drugs in Redfern and the effect on the Aboriginal community.

Edited by J Bar, 07 December 2007 - 07:39 AM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   franco #8

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

Interesting but not yet confident in itself, though I expect it will settle in as it goes along. One the face of it, 101 (as it's bound to become known) is just a cops'n'robbers with Arabic overtones and flavourings ripped, as they say, from today's headlines. McInnes as the redneck cop? Yeah, if they must. It'll fill the hole until City Homicide comes back.

OFFLINE   atefooterz #9

• 1,870 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

i love reading stuff by youngsters who actually log onto wiki hyper.gif ... as factual as a macdonalds health statement !

101 seemed to enjoy being on sbs & the producers opting for a more abstract & almost "wildside" approach compared to the previous White Collar Blue structured style of show. very enjoyable & edgey IMO

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #10

• 5,562 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

IMO it has potential... nicely shot and well cast but a bit too much on the wanky drama stuff (when the Arabic detective guy was talking to the Muslim women at the house and saying peace to your family or something - a bit much, come on, no one talks like that). But it should be good. I can't help compare it to the circuit either, which was a great show, so we'll see how 101 goes with a few more eps.

OFFLINE   atefooterz #11

• 1,870 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

Devout muslims always wish their mates the best from Allah ! factual not over the top.

It really has been the year of SBS with "The Circuit & now 101 " + the comedy Kick ,alomg with the ever popular Rockwiz "onya SBS !"

OFFLINE   franco #12

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (atefooterz @ Dec 7 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i love reading stuff by youngsters who actually log onto wiki hyper.gif ... as factual as a macdonalds health statement !

101 seemed to enjoy being on sbs & the producers opting for a more abstract & almost "wildside" approach compared to the previous White Collar Blue structured style of show. very enjoyable & edgey IMO

Atefooterz, are you calling me a youngsder? I'm flattered!. I note you called it 101 as i expected it would be called :-)

Have to disagree about it enjoying being on SBS (sarcasm notwithstanding). I wouldn't be surprised to see the Islamic community raising hell about it. Take away the "abstract" gloss and it really is just a cops'n'robbers with a different flavouring, and not much more.. Wildside was far better and Blue Collar was a fashion show. The jury'sd still out on 101

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #13

• 5,562 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (atefooterz @ Dec 7 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Devout muslims always wish their mates the best from Allah ! factual not over the top.

It really has been the year of SBS with "The Circuit & now 101 " + the comedy Kick ,alomg with the ever popular Rockwiz "onya SBS !"

Nah I know that but the way it was delivered was just a little wanky... it was a case of yes all the best old lady, god loves you etc, then his friend said "let's roll" and he ran off into the car again,,, just over the top moments like that that need to be edged out in my view.

OFFLINE   J Bar #14

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Commander Slicer @ Dec 7 2007, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah I know that but the way it was delivered was just a little wanky... it was a case of yes all the best old lady, god loves you etc, then his friend said "let's roll" and he ran off into the car again,,, just over the top moments like that that need to be edged out in my view.

I didn't have a problem with that. It didn't seem out of character to me.
I know some Christians who often say things like 'God Bless You'.

It's a cultural and age thing. An older Middle Eastern Christian wokrmate in our office often says 'If it's God's Will' and 'God Bless You'. Not all the time, but every now and again. Some of the younger workmates find it a little uncomfortable sometimes and unfortunately some of them ridicule her behind her back.
J Bar

OFFLINE   bromley #15

• 23 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (franco @ Dec 5 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[This "101" reference in the title...it's American, surely? Is that a cheap marketing ploy or what?

The Series was originally called "Major Crime" but had to change as there was another cop show of the same name (Canadian I think) doing the rounds. It was an international sales issue.
"East West 101" is also a police call sign (when they use the radio). Beyond that, it could be interpreted lots of ways - Eastern philosophy vs Western Philosophy etc.
Perhaps they might come up against Cruella DeVil in series 2 and rename it ...

"East West 101 Dalmatians".

Perhaps not. crazy.gif

OFFLINE   franco #16

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (bromley @ Dec 10 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Series was originally called "Major Crime" but had to change as there was another cop show of the same name (Canadian I think) doing the rounds. It was an international sales issue.
"East West 101" is also a police call sign (when they use the radio). Beyond that, it could be interpreted lots of ways - Eastern philosophy vs Western Philosophy etc.
Perhaps they might come up against Cruella DeVil in series 2 and rename it ...

"East West 101 Dalmatians".

Perhaps not. crazy.gif

Major Crime? Urk! That makes the 101 thing stylish in comparison, though 101 Dalmations ain't too bad Any suggestions for a better name? Anyone?

OFFLINE   J Bar #17

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (franco @ Dec 10 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Major Crime? Urk! That makes the 101 thing stylish in comparison, though 101 Dalmations ain't too bad Any suggestions for a better name? Anyone?

East West Connection?
East meets West?
West via East ?
J Bar

OFFLINE   franco #18

• 696 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (J Bar @ Dec 11 2007, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
East West Connection?
East meets West?
West via East ?

See? Not at all hard, and no reference to some Americanised rubbish. Well done. The only thing i could think of was "East & West".

OFFLINE   J Bar #19

• 15,192 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

What an awesome finish to this series. There was so much happening in every episode that I feel like I want to watch the whole thing all over again to see any of the bits that I might have missed. I hope SBS repeats it and Foxtel also picks it up for one of their channels, so more people get to see it.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Wayne Smith #20

• 5 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Series 2 is now in production. It's going to 7 episodes instead of 6.

EastWest101.Com