Hungry Beast

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Ryan #41

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

Are they not using the set anymore? Seems like most of the in-studio pieces are being done from their office.

Edit: Loved that Matty Johns skit at the end. Gave me a serious case of teh lulz.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   NewsKing #42

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,874 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

And even they had the animation on the 7news graphics!!! lol. Better 7news graphics done by the ABC1 team.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #43

• 20,038 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

I really should catch this show more often because it's quite good. Where has the set gone?

OFFLINE   Otacon2009 #44

• 3,272 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

Probably dismantled for another upcoming show. Don't mind the office setting. All they need is someone looking at Miranda Kerr.

OFFLINE   Ryan #45

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

ABC Media Release

51% OF 18 – 54 YEAR OLDS HAVE USED ILLEGAL DRUGS, HUNGRY BEAST / MCNAIR SURVEY FINDS

51% of 18 – 54 year olds in Australia have taken illegal drugs, according to a new nationwide survey commissioned by ABC TV’s Hungry Beast. And 42% of all Australians aged over 18 – approximately 6.9 million people – say they have used or tried illegal drugs.

The Hungry Beast survey was conducted in February 2010 by one of Australia’s leading research companies, McNair Ingenuity Research, and asked a range of questions relating to illegal drugs. The survey polled 1,000 people across all states and territories and was demographically balanced to represent the population of Australia.

The Hungry Beast survey also found that Brisbane was the drug capital of Australia, with 46% of people admitting to having used or tried illegal drugs. Queensland also came in as the top drug consuming state for having used at some stage during their life. The results for other cities for people having used or tried illegal drugs: Perth, 44%; Melbourne, 37%; Sydney, 34%; and Adelaide, 33%.

“People may be surprised by some of results,” says Hungry Beast reporter Kirsten Drysdale. “For example, conventional thinking sees city dwellers as bigger drug users than people in the country, but according to the survey, a higher proportion of people in rural and regional areas, average 48%, have used or tried illegal drugs than people in the capital cities, average 38%.”

Despite the billions of dollars that have been spent on policing and public education campaigns over the past three decades by successive Australian governments, according to the survey only 17% of voters agree that Government policies dealing with illegal drug use are effective.

Other key survey findings will be revealed on Hungry Beast tomorrow night at 9pm on ABC1.

While 49% of people surveyed believed society would be worse off if illegal drug use was decriminalized (38% said society would not be worse off, and 13% said they didn’t know) Hungry Beast also speaks with former police officers from Australia and the United States who are now advocating the decriminalisation of illicit drugs.

“Every year we spend another $69 or $70 billion dollars prosecuting that war (on drugs)… and what do we have to show for it? Drugs are more readily available at lower prices and higher levels of potency…” says former Seattle Chief of Police, Norm Stamper.

“The only way you can eliminate that illicit drug market that pushes the dealers, the people who are making a lot of money out of people’s misery is actually to legalise and control it,” says John McGeary, former Victorian Police Officer of 30 years experience.

Hungry Beast also examines the approach taken in Portugal where personal use of all drugs was decriminalised nine years ago – which, according to Joao Goulao, the President of Portugal’s Institute of Drugs & Drug Addiction, has seen “a decrease in the majority of data of the indicators, concerning drug use” and “experimentation of all kinds of illicit drugs has dropped from 2001 to 2007.”

The full results of the Hungry Beast / McNair Ingenuity Research survey on illegal drug use will be released on the Hungry Beast website, www.abc.net.au/hungrybeast on Thursday 1 April.

Online forum:

Immediately following the program there will be a live online forum on the Hungry Beast website discussing decriminalisation and the survey results with:

John McGeary, retired Victorian Police Officer of 30 years experience (for decriminalisation);

Major Brian Watters, former Chairman of the Australian National Council on Drugs and member of the International Narcotics Control Board (against decriminalisation); and

Hungry Beast reporter Kirsten Drysdale.

The online forum will run from 9.30pm to 10.30pm (AEDT) at: www.abc.net.au/hungrybeast.

Broadcast details:

Hungry Beast screens this Wednesday 31 March 2010 at 9pm on ABC1. It will also be available on iView from midnight on Wednesdays, and air on ABC2 from Thursday 1 April at 8.30pm.

Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Otacon2009 #46

• 3,272 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

I wished Hungry Beast would dump the Victoria Dynamite. It brings the show. Or at least employ better writers for the skit.

OFFLINE   C92 #47

• 1,673 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Haven't watched the show yet, but was it ever good, it seemed at first like it was a chaser replacement, but looks like it was a little boring.
I. Like. That.

OFFLINE   Ryan #48

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Tickford #49

• 3,008 posts since
  • May 2007

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

I wished Hungry Beast would dump the Victoria Dynamite. It brings the show. Or at least employ better writers for the skit.

That's the only good part.

OFFLINE   Ryan #50

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Random thought - I loved the "Inappropriate Font" sketches in the second last episode
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   C92 #51

• 1,673 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ok, would you reccomend finding it to watch. Like is it on ABC2 at any time?
I. Like. That.

OFFLINE   Ryan #52

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

It was being repeated on Thursdays at 8.30 (i think) the night after broadcast, but isn't there now. I think there's a "best of" DVD out.

I'd suggest maybe having a look at some of their stuff on YouTube as a first test, then if you like what you see, watch it on ABC's iView.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   C92 #53

• 1,673 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Oh ok, thanks ryan appreciate it!
I. Like. That.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #54

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,570 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hungry Beast returns in March with a 12-week season. It starts Wednesday March 23 at 9.30pm on ABC1.
Source: TV Tonight

OFFLINE   Ryan #55

• 12,174 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

THE BEAST IS BACK

Get Hungry from Wednesday 23 March, 9.30pm ABC1

The team from Hungry Beast is back. Once again, the show will challenge audiences with a mix of the unexpected and the unconventional - this year sharpening its focus with episodes themed around specific issues facing the world today.

Over 12 weeks, Hungry Beast viewers will see investigative journalism, deeply moving explorations of what it is to be human, stories from way out of left-field and graphic delights you won’t find anywhere else on TV.

Episode One explores Captivity – from life in prison and people trapped in their own bodies, to weird effects of captivity on animals and an entire nation held captive by one man. Upcoming themes include Secrets, Waste, Faking It and Download.

Monique Schafter, Dan Ilic, Kirsten Drysdale and Nick Hayden will front the show this season, while regular segments including Kirk Docker’s close up Voxpops, Follow The Money and The Beast File will return.

ABC TV’s Head of Arts and Entertainment, Amanda Duthie, says the series will build on its unique approach to current affairs. “Hungry Beast is a show that takes risks – in the stories they chose and the manner in which they tell them. By bringing together the serious, the unusual and the light-hearted, it will continue to resonate with audiences, in particular the under-40s.”

Hungry Beast launched in 2009 after ABC1 and Zapruder’s other films recruited young people from around Australia to create a TV program that looked at topical issues with a fresh perspective. The brief: to break out of the standard news cycle and tell us something we don’t know.

In 2010, the second series reached new heights. Nominated for a rare double - an AFI and a Walkley - its stories were seen on screen and online by millions of people around the globe. It was the second most watched program on the ABC for 18-39s.

“In 2009 and 2010, Hungry Beast showed that journalism can evolve in new and exciting directions. Newcomers 18 months ago, the Hungry Beast team are now making names for themselves in the industry. Watch out in 2011” says Executive Producer, Andrew Denton.

Hungry Beast premieres Wednesday 23 March, 9.30pm ABC1

Repeats Thursdays, 10.15pm ABC2

Available on ABC iview

HUNGRY BEAST: The World Remixed.

An ABC and Zapruder’s other films co-production.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   SKaVeN #56

• 1,571 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

I am surprised. In the last episode the cast gave me the impression they weren't coming back...
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, & those who can't.

OFFLINE   J Bar #57

• 15,034 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Interested to see the new format. I thought the show had potential but a few parts needed work.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #58

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,570 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hungry Beast pulled off a huge coup for its return tonight by securing previously unseen footage of Australian soldiers in action in Afghanistan. I saw some of it on ABC News at 7pm.

OFFLINE   Otacon2009 #59

• 3,272 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm not a fan of the new version of Hungry Beast. I keep thinking it's like the adults version of the first incarnation of The Shak, which also had themed episodes.

OFFLINE   J Bar #60

• 15,034 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

I'm not a fan of the new version of Hungry Beast. I keep thinking it's like the adults version of the first incarnation of The Shak, which also had themed episodes.

I haven't bothered watching this year. I only liked the humour in this show and when they declared that most of the humour was out and there was more current affairs then I had no interest.
J Bar