tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   hatdj #2

• 848 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Are NBN Shooting Themselves In the Foot ? :scratchchin:

NBN Currently Send There Newcastle Feed Across All Of Northern NSW On The HD Feed. :thumbsdown:

Wilst It's Fun Being Able To See The Newcastle Feed I Feel For All Of There Clinets Outside The Newcastle Feed Who Buy Adds & They Don't Get Shown On The HD Feed In There Local Area.

This Poses The Question Of How Many People Watch The HD Feed Over The SD Feed & How Would This Effect The Effectiveness Of An NBN Add Campain Outside of Newcastle ? :footinmouth:

Edited by hatdj, 20 October 2009 - 12:28 PM.

OFFLINE   bacco007 #3

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,176 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

Are NBN Shooting Themselves In the Foot ? :scratchchin:

NBN Currently Send There Newcastle Feed Across All Of Northern NSW On The HD Feed. :thumbsdown:

Wilst It's Fun Being Able To See The Newcastle Feed I Feel For All Of There Clinets Outside The Newcastle Feed Who Buy Add & They Don't Get Shown On The HD Feed In There Local Area.

This Poses The Question Of How Many People Watch The HD Feed Over The SD Feed & How Would This Effect The Effectiveness Of An NBN Add Campain Outside of Newcastle ? :footinmouth:

You would have to wonder whether the cost to output HD for all of NBN's markets is justified given the low cost of regional advertising.

OFFLINE   IanG #4

• 1,244 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

So let me get this straight. If your in Coffs Harbour your getting adverts for Newcastle and Hunter business etc on the HD channel?
"To The Memory of Ian Craig, The Legacy of Des Hoistead and the ghost of 2KY" - Tommy from Campbelltown

OFFLINE   hatdj #5

• 848 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

So let me get this straight. If your in Coffs Harbour your getting adverts for Newcastle and Hunter business etc on the HD channel?

Correct, Coffs,Tamworth,Taree,Lismore & Gold Coast All Get Newcastle Adds On the NBN HD Channel Plus The Newcastle Window on NBN News

OFFLINE   Con #6

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

I am surprised that PBL Media have not made serious changes at NBN. First, I am wondering as to why the Newshour and the Weekend news have not been axed with them just having Local News on weekdays. And they do not air the 11 AM News? You would have thought Nine would be across that? And wasnt there all this hype about NBN being rebranded Nine? Can anyone tell me why not so?

OFFLINE   Blue Mountains #7

• 3,250 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

I am surprised that PBL Media have not made serious changes at NBN. First, I am wondering as to why the Newshour and the Weekend news have not been axed with them just having Local News on weekdays. And they do not air the 11 AM News? You would have thought Nine would be across that? And wasnt there all this hype about NBN being rebranded Nine? Can anyone tell me why not so?

The big reason why the Newshour isn't going anywhere is because it would be ratings suicide. In Newcastle NBN is the only TV Station to produce a full news service on weekdays, and is the only station from newcastle to the Gold Coast to produce a weekend news service. It's where the vast majority of it's advertising revenue is produced so i don't think any exec would want to tamper with that.

On the subject on the 11am news, i don't why it's not shown, especially since it's been a while since "Today Extra" was axed, but they must have their reasons.

And on the whole branding issue, i think it's community familiarity with the name, and saying "NBN Television" is easier then something like "Nine Northern New South Wales".
Lies to tell small kids: milk feels pain

OFFLINE   Aurora #8

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,974 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

On the subject on the 11am news, i don't why it's not shown, especially since it's been a while since "Today Extra" was axed, but they must have their reasons.

The probable reason for no Morning News on NBN would be because I would think that the organisation is making more money off of continuing to show infomercials in that timeslot than networking with Nine.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   Con #9

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

The probable reason for no Morning News on NBN would be because I would think that the organisation is making more money off of continuing to show infomercials in that timeslot than networking with Nine.

I wonder who makes these unusual decisions?

OFFLINE   bacco007 #10

• 9,176 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

PBLM never intended to make changes, there has been little integration with Nine as well

OFFLINE   Con #11

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

Well then I am not moving to Northern New South wales then.

OFFLINE   Ryan #12

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,158 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

I wonder who makes these unusual decisions?

The bean counters.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Con #13

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

PBLM never intended to make changes, there has been little integration with Nine as well

Then what was the point in even buying it?

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #14

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Looking at the ratings for local Nine stations like TCN and QTQ that air Nine News @ 6 and ACA @ 6.30, then looking at NBN's ratings for a one hour NBN News - you'll see why they are not messing with it. It works! The one hour news helps NBN dominate the market and yes would bring in a LOT of coin. Likewise weekend news. The ratings I have seen show NBN News Sunday as the #1 show of the week in the Newcastle sub-market.

And on the whole branding issue, i think it's community familiarity with the name, and saying "NBN Television" is easier then something like "Nine Northern New South Wales"

Why would it be "Nine NNSW", would just be Nine. I don't understand why they have not rebranded Nine. I know NBN has some history in the Newcastle area. But once upon a time Nine was TCN. And they rebranded to Nine. Ten in Brisbane used to be "Channel 0" and Ten in northern NSW used to be NRTV. TV stations rebrand all the time. Not sure why PBL have not rebranded NBN.

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #15

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

It's pretty well known that NBN is the highest rating TV station in the nation. They get a higher share of the local market than any other TV station nationally.

PBL paid $250m for NBN (STW Perth was valued at 140m and NWS Adelaide $105m) so you can see how profitable the station must be.

That's why PBL bought it. It's a cash cow!

OFFLINE   bacco007 #16

• 9,176 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Outside of the cap cities, its the biggest TV market in the country and the best rating TV station to boot. Also it locked WIN out ;)

OFFLINE   Con #17

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Looking at the ratings for local Nine stations like TCN and QTQ that air Nine News @ 6 and ACA @ 6.30, then looking at NBN's ratings for a one hour NBN News - you'll see why they are not messing with it. It works! The one hour news helps NBN dominate the market and yes would bring in a LOT of coin. Likewise weekend news. The ratings I have seen show NBN News Sunday as the #1 show of the week in the Newcastle sub-market.

Why would it be "Nine NNSW", would just be Nine. I don't understand why they have not rebranded Nine. I know NBN has some history in the Newcastle area. But once upon a time Nine was TCN. And they rebranded to Nine. Ten in Brisbane used to be "Channel 0" and Ten in northern NSW used to be NRTV. TV stations rebrand all the time. Not sure why PBL have not rebranded NBN.

Maybe NBN managment are vetoing Orders from PBL to axe the Newshour and rebrand?

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #18

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

[quote]Maybe NBN managment are vetoing Orders from PBL to axe the Newshour and rebrand? [/quote

Again, no one (NBN or PBL) would be reccomedning axing the newshour. Look at its ratings!

And I'd say PBL management gets the final say, after all - they own NBN.

OFFLINE   Con #19

• 1,705 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

[quote name='KICK-IT' date='25 October 2009 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1256429785' post='636454']
[quote]Maybe NBN managment are vetoing Orders from PBL to axe the Newshour and rebrand? [/quote

Again, no one (NBN or PBL) would be reccomedning axing the newshour. Look at its ratings!

And I'd say PBL management gets the final say, after all - they own NBN.

[/quote]

I understand that, but PBL executives are known for making stupid decisions like this, so I am surprised that nothing has been done.

IMO, if they indeed took TCN 6PM News, the viewers would probably go away anyway LOL. They don't want a ratings disaster like Sydney.

OFFLINE   dk32 #20

• 2,550 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

I think PBL bought NBN without doing its' research properly.
When NBN was sold, it was making $15 mil a year profit.
PBL thought they could make savings and bump the profit up to $25m pa, thus giving it a 10% return at a purchase price of $250mil.
So they felt (at the time) that the purchase price was justified.
That, and as 'Bacco007' said, they also did it to keep WIN out.

But the rumour was that it was only AFTER PBL bought NBN, that they then discovered that it wasn't quite akin to running a slightly smaller version of QTQ9 in Brisbane (due to the complexities of sub-markets that exist within the Northern NSW market and as a result that it wasn't as easy to integrate it into the Nine network as they thought).

Thus they have pretty much left it as an 'independent' operation, which explains why they still don't use the 'Cool Hand Luke' news theme (as for why PBL/CVC let NBN spend money on the very average news theme music that they bought last year is one of the biggest mysteries of all to me...).

As for the newshour, another reason why it still exists is that it's cheaper than doing separate 30 min local news bulletins in each sub-market (like WIN does).
NBN only has about 10 mins of local news/sport content within the hour-long format for each market, and fills up the rest of the rest of the bulletin with things like Victorian news items from GTV9.

It has been said that CVC (now majority owners of NBN/Nine) will sell up in a few years, so it may be that WIN will get its hands on NBN eventually anyhow.