• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Ryan #1

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,185 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

A General thread for discussion of Imjarja

Does anybody know if Imparja has taken the new on-air package?
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Squee! #2

• Forum Moderator

• 11,157 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

Does anybody know if Imparja has taken the new package?

No. Imparja has used its own (absolutely hideous) package around their ochre coloured box since "smile" finished at the start of this year.

OFFLINE   Smacca #3

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:27 AM

Imparja Launch Promo: "The Home of Entertainment"

Imparja Launch Promo: "The Home of Sport"
Glitchy audio is Imparja's fault!

Other video:
That's pretty much the extent of Imparja's relaunch. Everything else remains the same. I should point out that Imparja were using promos with that Black Eyed Peas song well before Nine relaunched. Perhaps they decided to use it early seeing as they'd never change looks anyway? Either way, I was surprised to see Nine use the song after Imparja.

OFFLINE   Smacca #4

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

From next week, Imparja will drop The View for one hour of informercials. Currently, they place informercials at 11am, with Morning News at 12 and The View at 1pm. Now, Morning News and Ellen are in their normal timeslots.

OFFLINE   William Walker #5

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

From next week, Imparja will drop The View for one hour of informercials. Currently, they place informercials at 11am, with Morning News at 12 and The View at 1pm. Now, Morning News and Ellen are in their normal timeslots.

Imparja, a proper TV station? Nah I don't think so. I don't think it was in the least bit interested to go digital the way it showed me. To get a Ten license for the central market Imparja has a lot of work to do by cleaning up their own act in their own station. The owners don't know how to run that station anyway. I reckon that Southern cross is much better positioned to make a sole bid for the Ten license in the central area.

Thanks God Imparja don't control Nine Darwin. WIN should buy Imparja right now or better still the owners of Nine Darwin should buy Imparja.

William Walker

OFFLINE   Splashmo #6

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

Dreadful. Glad we don't have to put up with that in the city...

OFFLINE   William Walker #7

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

Dreadful. Glad we don't have to put up with that in the city...

Or here in Darwin. Even though I am disappointed with Nine in Darwin for some reason, i am still very GLAD that Nine is the local Darwin station and NOT imparja.

Yes I am disappointed with Nine, but very GLAD to have Nine here. Nine Darwin is the lesser of the two evils compared to Imparja. Going off topic for a bit - It's like comparing ALP to Liberals. Sory for going off topic but I reckon that television networks are pretty much in the same boat as politicians. Sorry but it is my view alone.

But I really mean it, if Imparja is very serious about getting a Network Ten license it better start now to get a lot more professional like Nine Darwin, WIN, etc. At the moment it is performing it has a extremely long way to go yet.

William Walker

OFFLINE   antzzz #8

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

Its only because they've got a bunch of ***** running the station...

They need to get their stuff together - its a disgrace what they air.

Edited by antzzz, 11 October 2009 - 03:49 PM.

Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   Smacca #9

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

Imparja, a proper TV station? Nah I don't think so. I don't think it was in the least bit interested to go digital the way it showed me. To get a Ten license for the central market Imparja has a lot of work to do by cleaning up their own act in their own station. The owners don't know how to run that station anyway. I reckon that Southern cross is much better positioned to make a sole bid for the Ten license in the central area.

Thanks God Imparja don't control Nine Darwin. WIN should buy Imparja right now or better still the owners of Nine Darwin should buy Imparja.

William Walker

I think the folks at Imparja would be way better off focusing their time and money on further developing NITV, rather than continuing to (poorly) run a Nine affiliate. If WIN got hold of Imparja (not sure if they legally are allowed to when you bring population figures into it), there could be a chance of Queensland and Central markets being split-up, which would be fantastic for viewers and advertisers. Plus, there's a good chance local news would return if WIN we're to buy them out.

OFFLINE   Smacca #10

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

They were still closing down the station every night from 1am up until a month or two ago! Ridiculous!

OFFLINE   William Walker #11

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Readers will be very interested to note that I made a strong push to have the Darwin and Central market merged. If they had merged the markets none of the stuff ups from Imparja would have happened now. I am not saying that ONE Hd or GO! would have happened but central areas would have been in a better position.

Instead the media body put it in the too hard basket and did it on the cheap short term. I argued back then it would be far cheaper to merge the Darwin and Central markets sure it would be expensive short time to expand teh stations but it will be cheaper in the long run. Now what we are witnessing is a situation where the media body and stations did on the very cheap and they and the viewers are paying a huge price long term.

http://www.dtvforum....php/t21420.html

William Walker

OFFLINE   William Walker #12

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

They were still closing down the station every night from 1am up until a month or two ago! Ridiculous!

Why? I thought Imparja was serious about cost cutting? It closed the local news so how can we expect Imparja to operate for 24 hours? Maybe Imparja wants to show everybody that it is ready to go digital and bid for a network ten license. I am not convinced that Imparja is ready for it.

Imparja news used to be a 30 minute local / national and international mixed news bulletin. I'm sure it is not really that hard for it to be reintroduced, and I don't see any reason why they axed it in the first place!

Southern cross central showed to me yesterday (through a stuff up on DDT) it is really capable of going digital, and I don't think it is really that difficult for imparja to convert to a SD digital channel, is it?

Imparja used to be a very good station between 1988 and 2006, they had different management back then. Who ever currently runs Imparja needs to go back to school or let WIN or PBL Media take over.

William Walker

OFFLINE   Squee! #13

• Forum Moderator

• 11,157 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

Why? I thought Imparja was serious about cost cutting? It closed the local news so how can we expect Imparja to operate for 24 hours?

Because Infomercials = Making Moneh overnight.
No Infomercials = No Money at all.

OFFLINE   William Walker #14

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

I think the folks at Imparja would be way better off focusing their time and money on further developing NITV, rather than continuing to (poorly) run a Nine affiliate. If WIN got hold of Imparja (not sure if they legally are allowed to when you bring population figures into it), there could be a chance of Queensland and Central markets being split-up, which would be fantastic for viewers and advertisers. Plus, there's a good chance local news would return if WIN we're to buy them out.

Yep. If Imparja showed that last year it wanted to buy Channel Nine only to be (rightfully in my view) denied at the last minute, Nine Darwin should seek revenge to Imparja by buying Imparja, why not? Imparja and Nine Darwin are NOT friends, they are emenies. Anyway it doesn't matter. I say either WIN or Nine Darwin should buy Imparja.

William Walker

OFFLINE   William Walker #15

• 317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Southern Cross does that as well. Are two or more stations allowed to do that in the same market?

William Walker

OFFLINE   Smacca #16

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Spot on. Compared with Prime, they have around the same amount of infomercials. However, placing them at 1pm for an hour is crazy.

13.00-14.00 Informercials
00.00-00.30 Informercials
02.30-04.30 Informercials

OFFLINE   Smacca #17

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Yep. If Imparja showed that last year it wanted to buy Channel Nine only to be (rightfully in my view) denied at the last minute, Nine Darwin should seek revenge to Imparja by buying Imparja, why not? Imparja and Nine Darwin are NOT friends, they are emenies. Anyway it doesn't matter. I say either WIN or Nine Darwin should buy Imparja.

William Walker

I don't know if they're enemies. It's just business. Denying a takeover or refusing to comment about it doesn't mean they never talk or don't have a good business relationship. Imparja uses Nine Darwin's news facilities to deliver the local news updates. They schedule Darwin's news at 6.30pm weeknights. They also share sponsorships quite often - the most recent being the Young Achievers Award, with both networks sponsoring an award each. It looks to me like they have a pretty sound relationship.

Edited by Smacca, 11 October 2009 - 05:28 PM.

OFFLINE   7HD #18

• 996 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

How do I receive Imparja in Melbourne?

How do you go about Pronouncing Imparja?

Help Appreciated

OFFLINE   Ryan #19

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,185 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

From the imparja website:

3. UNAUTHORISED RECEPTION OF IMPARJA’S SATELLITE SERVICES
Imparja is the commercial TV service for remote Central and Eastern Australia. It is unlawful for us to provide a broadcast service outside our licence area and particularly into any capital city and any part of WA. To this end Imparja seeks precise address information from all applicants for reception of its satellite service, and will only activate smartcards for viewers who are within its licence area. The use of a false address or the subsequent use of a smartcard elsewhere will result in immediate disconnection.

As for how to pronounce it, search it on Youtube and watch a video. "Im-par-jah'
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Moe #20

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

If WIN got hold of Imparja (not sure if they legally are allowed to when you bring population figures into it)

As long as you don't get Sydney/Melbourne, you can own a station in every other market.