Ten On-Air Presentation

• Please log in to reply
2529 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   J Bar #621

• 14,450 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

A long line to draw between how solid a watermark is and the overall rating of a network. Seven could have a solid red ribbon in the corner and it would still be number 1.

Yes, it's about as logical as Ten thinking that a solid watermark would bring in higher ratings. :) That was my point.
J Bar

OFFLINE   J Bar #622

• 14,450 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Looks like the Eleven is back to the faded watermark. Why is the Ten one still solid?
J Bar

OFFLINE   Aurora #623

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,917 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Maybe Bruce Gordon is secretly working for Ten too? ;)

Well he does have a representative on the board. Cue conspiracy theories... ;)

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   kevizz #624

• 4,702 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Ten currently airing one of those advertisements disguised as promos for the umpteenth edition of the American Pie franchise.

OFFLINE   Lukemovieman #625

• 3,535 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I don't normally watch much TV but I am sure the Ten watermark wasn't this solid earlier in the week.

Yes, you are correct! TEN have now got a more solid/white Watermark used on all programs except for News and Current Affairs Programs (which still uses the normal see-through/faded Watermark.) The new more solid/white Watermark is also used on TEN Sport Broadcasts but is up in the top right where it would normally be for sport. For the Late Show with David Letterman, it is even more solid/white like normal which has always been like this to hide the CBS Watermark which is always there.

OFFLINE   Matlock #626

• News Contributor

• 5,991 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ten's new look is ugly. I don't like it. Would have loved Ten to have made their general presentation package more like their Ten HD promos.

OFFLINE   J Bar #627

• 14,450 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

That was good but it does look dated. I think the new look is mostly pretty good but I think the font they've used on their signposts doesn't match the fresh look.
J Bar

OFFLINE   antzzz #628

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ten HD... Gone
One HD / Sport... Gone
Ten News Revival... Gone

Everything Ten does seems to fail...
Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   kevizz #629

• 4,702 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Seven HD... Gone

Nine HD... Gone

Edited by kevizz, 14 April 2012 - 01:02 PM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #630

• 6,098 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ten HD... Gone
One HD / Sport... Gone
Ten News Revival... Gone

Everything Ten does seems to fail...

7HD... Gone

9HD... Gone

Eleven with decent content...it's only a matter of time IMO. Within the next few years we'll probably be seeing all of the mainstream Eleven content (Neighbours, The animations, etc.) back on Ten with Eleven becoming Ten's answer to Gem (in other words, very old content 24/7).

Back on topic now, I don't think that the Ten HD look is that dated. It's 1,000,000% better than Ten's current On-Air Presentation IMO. The current watermark is a joke, the classification warning is bland, boring and dated. Do I really need to go on?

OFFLINE   bambbbam #631

• 4,068 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

The updated watermarks are really awful.. The logo on ONE last night was bigger than normal and had the words 'Digital TV' below it, just to make it even more intrusive.

What is the actual point of these watermarks, anyway? is it to stop other networks stealing their footage?

OFFLINE   Moe #632

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

The blockmark on the Late Show looks nicer than the regular programming watermark - solid grey is a little bit nicer than 90% opacity white.

OFFLINE   Lukemovieman #633

• 3,535 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

The blockmark on the Late Show looks nicer than the regular programming watermark - solid grey is a little bit nicer than 90% opacity white.

It is actually now more like 98-100% white on The Late Show now and I swear that they use to use the TEN Sport Watermark for The Late Show except down in the bottem right not the top right!

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #634

• 6,098 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

The logo on ONE last night was bigger than normal and had the words 'Digital TV' below it, just to make it even more intrusive.

I'm pretty sure that the "One Digital TV" watermark is only used on promos for the channel and not actual programming because that's the only place I've seen said watermark.

What is the actual point of these watermarks, anyway? is it to stop other networks stealing their footage?

If the networks were really trying to stop their rivals from stealing their footage, you'd probably see something like this on news bulletins:

OFFLINE   Lukemovieman #635

• 3,535 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

It is for the following:

1) To identify the Channel.
2) To identify the Production Channel for a Program.
3) To avoid other Channels stealing and claiming footage.

Different Ocpacity Watermarks are used for different reasons like a more soils watermark for News, Solid and in the Top of the screen for Sport, Solid or at top of screen for Live programs and Solid to cover up U.S. Watermarks on Programs like The Late Show with David Letterman.

OFFLINE   Moe #636

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

It is actually now more like 98-100% white on The Late Show now and I swear that they use to use the TEN Sport Watermark for The Late Show except down in the bottem right not the top right!

Swear all you like - last night it was as I said - grey.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #637

• 4,068 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

1) To identify the Channel.
2) To identify the Production Channel for a Program.

1. I can press the 'i' button for that, or just at any promo during the break.. if I'm in-focus watching a show I couldn't care less what channel its on anyway

2. Putting an American show to air is simply playing the tape.. the local channel have had nothing to do with the production of said show.

3 OK, during a news broadcast or live sports match I can (sort of) understand the need for it.. but not the need to be so huge as to be a distraction from the program being shown.

OFFLINE   Matlock #638

• News Contributor

• 5,991 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Funny you say that. I've seen Nine use footage of the Beijing Olympics with the NBC watermark.

OFFLINE   Lukemovieman #639

• 3,535 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

1. I can press the 'i' button for that, or just at any promo during the break.. if I'm in-focus watching a show I couldn't care less what channel its on anyway

2. Putting an American show to air is simply playing the tape.. the local channel have had nothing to do with the production of said show.

3 OK, during a news broadcast or live sports match I can (sort of) understand the need for it.. but not the need to be so huge as to be a distraction from the program being shown.

1) Be honest, do you actually think every household in Austalia would have a Digital Television and with a remote that has the "i" button; it would be tiring and annoying having to go to the trouble of pressing it all the time when you can simply identify the Channel frequently with a watermark.
2) I mean Australian Productions that could be shown on it's Channel or one of it's Sub-Channels.

OFFLINE   Moe #640

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Funny you say that. I've seen Nine use footage of the Beijing Olympics with the NBC watermark.

Here's Sports Tonight using footage of the IPL which was watermarked by a random YouTube highlights uploader - when Ten owned the rights to the real thing.