ABC News

• Please log in to reply
5763 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #21

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:52 PM

Seems none of us do - first they can news, and stop most of it over summer and now comes news their funding a kids program for Seven!(see 7 Network thread).

On another note, Tony Eastley reads his final news bulletin tonight in NSW. Takes up hosting of AM on AUstralia Day.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #22

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Great to see Jacinta Tynan doing the Victorian news on the weekend :huh:

OFFLINE   90myeekl #23

• 90 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:58 PM

Does anyone know when the various state-based 7pm "ABC News" are adopting the much talked about new music, set, graphics, supers etc etc. I remember it was meantto start (at least in NSW) last year on Australia Day! 12 months on....nothing!

In NSW, they moved to the lavish new Ultimo, NSW HQ but took the old purple set and graphics and 4:3 cameras with them. I see them using the Ultimo newsroom as a set sometimes. Is this the shape of things to come? Does anyone know if / when changes at ABC News are likely.

The VIC set looks unreal from what I have seen. What does it look like in other states?

OFFLINE   sevennewsbrisbane #24

• 391 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:10 PM

qlds is horrible.....its not a set at all actually.....its just a giant purple screen that they superimpose the same globe image over....you cant tell.....they do an incredible job....but it results is only ever having single presenter shots which make the cross to weather on weekdays and sport on weekends messy and annoying.....they also only have one image which they superimpose which is the zoomed back shot with the OTS included.....so that all you ever see and when they dont have a graphic or for the crosses etc. they just put an ABC NEWS OTS behind the presenter.....i hope we get a real set this time.
Sevennewsbrisbane...quality over quantity for over 3 yrs now...

OFFLINE   ehben #25

• 1,726 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:58 AM

A real ABC set? That will never happen. The ABC News editor in Melbourne tells me they wont change because of the cost of building new sets is way too expensive. Only Melbourne and Sydney have actual sets. THe rest are just blue/green screens. In Melbourne they have a blue screen pull blind (like at home) that they pull up or down during the crosses to sport. The end is just superimposed, as is the bottom of the desk!!
Quite interesting I think.
The new graphics though are supposed to be more colourful, and actually look like a real set, rather than the current picture. The graphics guy in Melbourne created a mock, plus a new theme in mid 2002, but Sydney didn't like it, so they were sent back to the drawing board.
But anytime soon, I hope!
And now the news...

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #26

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:51 PM

The desk on ABC News Vic is real isnt it though? I mean the gold/silver crap? the logo is fake.

They said the new look would be progressively introduced from March last year... Hmmm.
They've launched new finance graphics just before Christmas 03, thats about all.

The Ultimo move was cheap as! Moving a whole set down. Really crap.

ABC News QLD is a shocker. Really bad how they dont show the presenter in the same screen. How hard could it be for ABC to place a blue screen, a desk and 2 seats and a camera infront of them!

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #27

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:44 PM

Jacinta Tynan did the weekend news in Victoria again - I hope shes back next weekend too:)

OFFLINE   Tranquility #28

• 7,144 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:26 PM

Chris Ahern was great doing the complete bulletin last Sat (28/2).

Who did it on Sun? (29/2)
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | tranquility@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #29

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 February 2004 - 08:14 PM

Christine again tonight :huh:

OFFLINE   SA TV #30

• 8,306 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 01 March 2004 - 03:06 PM

ABC News SA's new fill-in presenter is reporter Simon Royale. He was pretty good, very causal. much better tham Catherine Liddle who did it whils rosanna did ABC-AP news

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #31

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:09 PM

On Monday night ABC Vic News had a really stuffed up version of the theme going. Did anyone else hear it???

Good to see ABC News Sunday edition the #19 in the Vic #20. I wonder how weekdays are fairing.

OFFLINE   sevennewsbrisbane #32

• 391 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

I have to say i haven't watched ABC news in months but i did tonight. The fact we are trashing the commercials so much for cross-promotion is really harsh on them. Despite the fact ABC had some excellent reports from people actually there (like their man on the North Korean boarder etc) but the lead story (which probably shouldnt have been lead....although it was a pretty slow day) was chock full of excerpts from "an interview appearing soon on Australian story". Then on soldiers dying in Iraq, two reports later and not even new news ",more on this next week on Foreign correspondent" and any shots taken from the show had a big ugly super at the top of the screen with "Foreign Correspondent - ABC TV". Since when did they have to credit their own footage. Blatant cross-promotion.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #33

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:42 AM

I have to say i haven't watched ABC news in months but i did tonight. The fact we are trashing the commercials so much for cross-promotion is really harsh on them. Despite the fact ABC had some excellent reports from people actually there (like their man on the North Korean boarder etc) but the lead story (which probably shouldnt have been lead....although it was a pretty slow day) was chock full of excerpts from "an interview appearing soon on Australian story". Then on soldiers dying in Iraq, two reports later and not even new news ",more on this next week on Foreign correspondent" and any shots taken from the show had a big ugly super at the top of the screen with "Foreign Correspondent - ABC TV". Since when did  they have to credit their own footage. Blatant cross-promotion.

Most ABC News programs, with the exception of the 7pm news, have all had on screen watermarks for a good 8 months now.
Midday N+B, Lateline, 7:30 etc.

OFFLINE   sevennewsbrisbane #34

• 391 posts since
  • April 2003

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:00 PM

im not talking onscreen watermark. This was on of the news supers they do at the top of the screen (usually with a place name eg: sydney etc) but putting in these plugs.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #35

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:17 PM

im not talking onscreen watermark. This was on of the news supers they do at the top of the screen (usually with a place name eg: sydney etc) but putting in these plugs.

oh ok then. I cant say I've seen that done on any Vic bulletin.

OFFLINE   Mark. #36

• 3,441 posts since
  • February 2003

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:28 PM

ABC News in NSW have been doing alot of interviews lately, some of which have been quite lengthy. (for a news programme)
I can't say i'm overly impressed with the new direction as it cuts down the number of stories that can be aired, and they have the 7.30 report to fill with interviews if need be.
I know WA has gone this path also, wondering about the other states?

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #37

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:36 PM

ABC News in NSW have been doing alot of interviews lately, some of which have been quite lengthy. (for a news programme)
I can't say i'm overly impressed with the new direction as it cuts down the number of stories that can be aired, and they have the 7.30 report to fill with interviews if need be.

Not in Victoria (Thankfully) I think it would hurt ABC News a bit. Right now their neck and neck fighting for #2 and any more changes could see them back to #4.

Despite their foolish sports decision, I think they do deserve #1 in Melbourne but I'd be happy with anyone other than 9 there just to create competition.

Having said that, GTV do deserve to be where they are.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #38

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

Frankly, I think this sort of move helps make ABC News at 7 an even more distinctive bulletin - it offers a real alternative to the commercial stations, who simply have headlines and stories.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.

OFFLINE   TENFAN #39

• 1,353 posts since
  • August 2003

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

Ten News Melbourne gets into the interviewing act a fair bit now - usually about 2-3 interviews per night.

Mal gave the Nurses Union boss a grilling tonight - he almost overstepped the holy newsreading vow of not expressing ones opinion on air.

OFFLINE   Mr Q #40

• 5,145 posts since
  • June 2003

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:20 PM

Ten News Melbourne gets into the interviewing act a fair bit now - usually about 2-3 interviews per night.

Mal gave the Nurses Union boss a grilling tonight - he almost overstepped the holy newsreading vow of not expressing ones opinion on air.

Yes, but they're, like, two minute pieces, whereas these ABC News interviews sound more like those we've become accustomed to on programming like Lateline. Of course, I could completely have misinterpreted Mark's comments.
Awake and Alert - but never alarmed.