Australian Radio Network

• Please log in to reply
1840 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #1721

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,291 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

Almost 10 years old would equal release in 2000?

WS need to set the ground rules now. Nothing from this millennium. Period!
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1722

• 8,502 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Almost 10 years old would equal release in 2000?

Yes.

Mind you, WS-FM played "Beautiful Day" by U2 as early as 2004, which at the time the song was only 4 years old! :eyepopping:

WS need to set the ground rules now. Nothing from this millennium. Period!

I agree with you on this. Otherwise, they won't have much point-of-difference to the other commercial FM stations.
The same ground rules would also apply for Gold 104.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Sub #1723

• 1,388 posts since
  • June 2008

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Maybe WSFM and Gold could do like Triple M and have "songs you won't believe you're hearing" and instead of playing the old unflogged tracks, they could play the new overplayed hits.

OFFLINE   jimmy63 #1724

• 80 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Melbourne's about to lose 3MP and now that Mix is setting itself up as Fox 2.0 (though I prefer Mix over Fox anyday) rather than its previous "smooth mix" playlist, then maybe there is room for a Cruise-type station in Melbourne. Would sound great on digital.

Melbourne is NOT about to lose 3MP, it has moved to digital as MyMP.

http://dabplusdigita...o.blogspot.com/

Edited by jimmy63, 08 April 2010 - 05:09 PM.

OFFLINE   Mark #1725

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

with MIX going after 2DAY, WS needs to see that female 30+ gap and try and close it. They should broaden themselves out a bit more, forget about classic gold only and go warm classic hits. Throw stuff like Colbie Caillat, Genesis, Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson et al. Close that female 30+ gap that MIX left.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1726

• 8,502 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

with MIX going after 2DAY, WS needs to see that female 30+ gap and try and close it. They should broaden themselves out a bit more, forget about classic gold only and go warm classic hits. Throw stuff like Colbie Caillat, Genesis, Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson et al. Close that female 30+ gap that MIX left.

You know what, that's not a bad idea.
This move would allow the male 30+ demo to shift over to Classic Rock, which is currently more or less sounding similar to WS. If WS does shift their focus more towards the female 30+ demo, this would see them having a more significant point-of-difference from Classic Rock. :)

OFFLINE   Mark #1727

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

You know what, that's not a bad idea.

who said I was just a pretty face? :P :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #1728

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,291 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

who said I was just a pretty face? :P :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Nobody here would have said that :no: :P ;)
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Mark #1729

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

Nobody here would have said that :no: :P ;)

looking at my facebook photo, I'm one of the better looking ones here :P

Seriously, there is a major gap in the Sydney market for a:

* warm, engaging, friendly, smooth adult radio station with no hip-hop, rap or announcers shouting at you at warp speed.
* a personality-driven, listener-focused station for females 30-44, secondary 35-54.
* a station that parents can listen to in the car with their children without the fear of inappropriate talkback calls or "longer lasting sex" ads played in family-time.
* Music that pulls at the heartstrings through to soft rock classics. Music that is as broad as Fleetwood Mac, Alicia Keys, Supertramp, The Bangles, Daughtry, Savage Garden, REO Speedwagon, Kelly Clarkson, Joe Cocker, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Shania Twain.

And considering the name "WS" really stands for "Western Sydney" and the licence covers the whole of Sydney - drop the name, go for something engaging. "Warm", "Lite" or something that reflects the values and aspirations of women 30-44.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1730

• 8,502 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

* warm, engaging, friendly, smooth adult radio station with no hip-hop, rap or announcers shouting at you at warp speed.
* a personality-driven, listener-focused station for females 30-44, secondary 35-54.
* a station that parents can listen to in the car with their children without the fear of inappropriate talkback calls or "longer lasting sex" ads played in family-time.
* Music that pulls at the heartstrings through to soft rock classics. Music that is as broad as Fleetwood Mac, Alicia Keys, Supertramp, The Bangles, Daughtry, Savage Garden, REO Speedwagon, Kelly Clarkson, Joe Cocker, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Shania Twain.

And considering the name "WS" really stands for "Western Sydney" and the licence covers the whole of Sydney - drop the name, go for something engaging. "Warm", "Lite" or something that reflects the values and aspirations of women 30-44.

That would be quite a decent adult music station to listen to in Sydney, if the above were to happen.

However, this would mean that Sydney would lose a "Classic Hits" station (which is not a real 'classic hits' station to start with anyway, at least when compared with 6iX Perth & 2CA Canberra), and that one of the commercial AM stations, most likely 2SM (if Caralis were to sell off the station, which he won't), would have to pick up the format that WS would have left behind.

I think the above changes would also apply to Gold 104 in Melbourne as well, as it has the same level of competition as Sydney, with the addition of My MP, in which Sydney doesn't have an equivalent of (not for now at least).

OFFLINE   Mark #1731

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

However, this would mean that Sydney would lose a "Classic Hits" station

not necessarily, you can broaden the format without losing the classic hits... look at http://www.warm98.com/ and http://www.1067litefm.com/main.html - two of my fave US stations. They're pretty broad. And my fave US station with no peer - http://radioalice.radio.com/

OFFLINE   PZ. #1732

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Sounds like you guys want to bring it back to a "Hits and Memories" format - not sure why you'd want to change the name though - everyone knows what WSfm is and where it is...

...and this is all assuming Classic Rock takes away their listeners.

If that does happen I'd personally prefer WSfm go with a softer format but stick with just the old stuff and maybe draw listeners from 2CH.

OFFLINE   jimtastic #1733

• 32 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

looking at my facebook photo, I'm one of the better looking ones here :P

The above station sounds very much like what Mix (particuarly 101) was all about a year or two back.
All of the artists you suggested with the exception of Joe Cocker were played at some point.
Yes it will fill a gap in the market but therein lies the problem.
There is not enough of a "market" for it.
That sort of a AC format is not applicable anymore in this country.

OFFLINE   Mark #1734

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yes it will fill a gap in the market but therein lies the problem.
There is not enough of a "market" for it.
That sort of a AC format is not applicable anymore in this country.

well it's interesting, I've just now opened up a trade magazine to have "a rival programmer" question VEGA moving to Classic Rock, saying "there is a very big opportunity to take the place of MIX."

Well said.. I agree.

OFFLINE   jimtastic #1735

• 32 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

well it's interesting, I've just now opened up a trade magazine to have "a rival programmer" question VEGA moving to Classic Rock, saying "there is a very big opportunity to take the place of MIX."

Well said.. I agree.

Rival programmers tend to say that sort of thing to further their own cause.
I mean they would take a pessimistic approach wouldn't they?

OFFLINE   Mark #1736

• 16,414 posts since
  • July 2005

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

Rival programmers tend to say that sort of thing to further their own cause.
I mean they would take a pessimistic approach wouldn't they?

looking at this bloke's ratings, he needs to be pessimistic :)

OFFLINE   Snake #1737

• 50 posts since
  • July 2008

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

looking at this bloke's ratings, he needs to be pessimistic :)

I have to agree that Mix was doing the Warm AC a year or so ago (IMO) with 4-5% share - and constant ridicule for not being able to build an audience.

It's easy to point and say what rival programmers would do but until they actually take the format on, saying what they would do means nothing.

I agree with you in terms of a logical position in the market - but the fact remains ARN didn't have great success with it. Add the fact DMG chose Classic Rock (I'm sure Warm AC was an option) suggests the format isn't the winner it used to be (in Melb/Syd at least)

OFFLINE   PZ. #1738

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,750 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

MIX may not have succeeded but WSfm certainly did, and that's with a format being not too different to what's being suggested here. Yes, folks, for some strange reason a repetitive playlist with Celine Dion followed by Beatles 'n' Bread seemed to work very well in Sydney :embarrassed:

OFFLINE   simmo #1739

• 213 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

cant quite remember what year it was but mix 1065 had a ratings score of 10%,with announcers such as trevor sinclair,rob duckworth and bogart torelli,i think brad storey was the programme director,but clear channel moved in and the day after that ratings result came out trevor,rob and a couple of others,along with brad,got the boot......and the station has never done as well since.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1740

• 8,502 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

cant quite remember what year it was but mix 1065 had a ratings score of 10%,with announcers such as trevor sinclair,rob duckworth and bogart torelli,i think brad storey was the programme director,but clear channel moved in and the day after that ratings result came out trevor,rob and a couple of others,along with brad,got the boot......and the station has never done as well since.

Looking back at my radio ratings records, the survey in question in which MIX 106.5 had an overall of around 10% was Survey 1 of 2001, which was just before Nova 96.9 came on the air. It still had a real AC format back then.