Nightline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
180 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Lepatron #1

• Retired Admin

• 8,865 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

According to MediaWeek and the Daily Telegraph, a revamped Nightline will be returning on November 9th.

Kellie Connolly will be the presenter and Nine executives will be giving Nightline a consistent timeslot.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   jimbo #2

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

God I hope they put this in WIN land, but something tells me theyll stick with their own repeat...

OFFLINE   AdelaideTV #3

• 1,018 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

This is good news but let's hope that Nine Adelaide and Perth put it on

OFFLINE   Ryan #4

• Senior Site Administrator

• 12,198 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Good stuff. They never should've axed it.

Jimbo, Nightline and WIN News coexisted for the last year or so that it was on air.
Ryan

Site Administrator

ryan@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #5

• 20,065 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

According to MediaWeek and the Daily Telegraph, a revamped Nightline will be returning on November 9th.

Kellie Connolly will be the presenter and Nine executives will be giving Nightline a consistent timeslot.

I believe I've heard this line once before. Why bother though, it never got close to Ten's Late News, and with Nine cutting costs, how much of an effort can they really put into the revamp?

OFFLINE   Lepatron #6

• Retired Admin

• 8,865 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

I believe I've heard this line once before. Why bother though, it never got close to Ten's Late News, and with Nine cutting costs, how much of an effort can they really put into the revamp?

Yeah I don't know what they mean about consistent timeslot. They already have a consistent 11:30 timeslot and I highly doubt it would be on any earlier than that.

Very late in the year to be re-launching a news program given most presenters will be on holidays soon.

Nine's Late News has been rating quite well since it returned. Given Ten's Late News is on a 10:30pm it gives people who choose to watch something on 7 and 9 at 10:30 the chance to watch a news bulletin at 11:30.

There is not really any evidence to say Nine has been cost cutting in news but they have been in some other areas.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #7

• 20,065 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I don't know what they mean about consistent timeslot. They already have a consistent 11:30 timeslot and I highly doubt it would be on any earlier than that.

Very late in the year to be re-launching a news program given most presenters will be on holidays soon.

Nine's Late News has been rating quite well since it returned. Given Ten's Late News is on a 10:30pm it gives people who choose to watch something on 7 and 9 at 10:30 the chance to watch a news bulletin at 11:30.

There is not really any evidence to say Nine has been cost cutting in news but they have been in some other areas.

Considering the lack of imagination in this country when it comes to news, I really don't see what Nine could possibly do on a budget that would be revolutionary.
An idea I'd like to see is a truely national bulletin covered in a cable news channel style wrap up.

OFFLINE   jimbo #8

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

maybe itll be for an hour AND/OR 7 days a week...

OFFLINE   Lex #9

• Writer

• 3,372 posts since
  • November 2007

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

This is good news, however I prefer Kellie on the morning news. But then again I'll wait until I see it before I criticize.

Does this mean they'll bring Sunday back again? Wishful thinking...

OFFLINE   jimbo #10

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

not a chance in hell Lex, why would they do that when Today Sunday rates almost double what Sunday did when it got the chop?

ONLINE   Mike Retter #11

• 3,438 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Cyril could spontaniously orgasm...

If they brought Sunday back I promiss to march in the streets praising Nine and wairing an Ozzy The Ostrich costume with "Still the one" playing from a sterio.

OFFLINE   Right Here...Right Now #12

• 167 posts since
  • July 2009

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Could anyone possible post the link to this artical?

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #13

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

From the Daily Telegraph:

THE deck is still being shuffled at Nine News with newsreader Kellie Connolly to take up a new leading role fronting a rebranded Nightline, from November 9. Connolly replaces Wendy Kingston who, having built a strong following on the late bulletin, returns to the morning news slot. Connolly follows in the tradition of experienced reporters who have helmed Nightline, including Jim Waley and Michael Usher.

Her promotion affirms Nine’s credentials with female talent on-air, just as rival Seven prepares to transport its own Chris Bath into the 6pm hot seat of the retiring industry leader Ian Ross. Nine news executives are also moving to have Nightline confirmed in a permanent late night slot rather than leaving audiences to languish at the whim of programmers who have previously let their prime-time offerings run over time. In other newsroom movements, reporters Jodie Noyce and Lauren Hart left the network last week.

-----

Cyril could spontaniously orgasm...

I'll reserve my judgement until I hear more. If it's just another remixed local-national bulletin (i.e. local stories, except from each of the different states, as Nine's daytime bulletins mostly are) then I won't find it worth watching.

OFFLINE   Brad #14

• Media Vault Contributor

• 1,242 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

This all seems quite weird. The Late News now is the exact same as Nightline was in it's last few years, and I really don't see the point of swapping Wendy with Kellie again.

Also I agree with Lepatron: it already has a consistent timeslot of 11:30pm. I'm not sure how it can be made more consistent than that?

I wonder if the old Nightline theme will be back?

OFFLINE   Cyril Washbrook #15

• Retired Admin

• 9,531 posts since
  • November 2006

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

The fact that they're shifting back to the Nightline brand suggests that they'll probably do something different as far as the format is concerned: maybe a studio interview each night or something like that, or a couple of Nightline-only pieces. What the actual nature of the content behind any additional segments/features will be is up for conjecture, though.

OFFLINE   Aurora #16

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 6,054 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

Also I agree with Lepatron: it already has a consistent timeslot of 11:30pm. I'm not sure how it can be made more consistent than that?

I think what they mean is that they will look to have the bulletin actually at 11.30 and they'll probably try to have the bulletin start as close to that time as possible instead of how it is currently with the bulletin starting anywhere from ten minutes early to ten minutes late, if not more.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   TJ. #17

• 10,723 posts since
  • June 2007

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

Particularly on Thursday and Friday nights when Nine has The Footy Show and movies, the late news doesn't start until 11:40 or latter.

OFFLINE   EMQ #18

• 856 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

The fact that they're shifting back to the Nightline brand suggests that they'll probably do something different as far as the format is concerned: maybe a studio interview each night or something like that, or a couple of Nightline-only pieces. What the actual nature of the content behind any additional segments/features will be is up for conjecture, though.

It would be better if the presentation will be more akin to ABC's Lateline, and as you have mentioned above, to feature more studio interviews. Maybe that's the reason why they got Kellie as she's better versed with live TV.

Edited by EMQ, 24 October 2009 - 06:49 AM.

OFFLINE   TV Head #19

• 18,615 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

I wonder if it will be live again? Not recorded hours earlier?

OFFLINE   TYSON #20

• 2,366 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

If it were to feature "In-studio Interviews"... I'm gonna guess it would be pre-recorded, who would stay up late at night (11.30-Midnight) to do a live interview on a news bulletin?