WIN Western Australia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Aurora #161

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 6,006 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hold your horses... WIN still holds dual Nine/Ten affiliation until Digital TV is switched off. Its just they choose not to utilise it (similar to Southern Cross in Tasmania right now)

If Ten still had AFL, you could bet that it would be still showing on WIN, live.

Doesn't holding affiliation cost money though? Not much point paying for access to something if you aren't going to use it. (unless it's a regulatory thing?)

That would mean that WIN believe it is more beneficial to refrain from airing Ten content (and specifically use resources to arrange breakaway airings than follow the already arranged WIN broadcast from other markets) despite still holding the affiliation than continuing what they were doing with to that point (although this doesn't suprise me). But why did they specifically decide to stop running Letterman on the late Wednesday night (last day of February)? Granted, WIN did occasionally didn't air the late Friday night episode due to, what I believe were, scheduling constraints but they only had Spyforce and a 20/20 'repeat' late on that night so there would have been ample room there for Letterman if they so desired.

Why did they specifically (I assume) wait till the end of the month to stop airing Letterman rather than stop when other Ten content ceased airing on WIN WA (which was at least a few weeks earlier, the last few weeks it was just Letterman with everything else being from Nine).

Edited by Aurora, 19 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   Smacca #162

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Doesn't holding affiliation cost money though? Not much point paying for access to something if you aren't going to use it. (unless it's a regulatory thing?)

It depends on the terms. They may have to keep their arrangement with Ten to a certain extent until analog is switched off. I'm not entirely sure how the agreement works, though.

That would mean that WIN believe it is more beneficial to refrain from airing Ten content (and specifically use resources to arrange breakaway airings than follow the already arranged WIN broadcast from other markets) despite still holding the affiliation than continuing what they were doing with to that point (although this doesn't suprise me).

I have noticed split seconds of Perth advertising several times on WIN. Also instances where a Nine News update from Perth starts, but is quickly overlayed with a WIN promo or two. Usually you'd see TCN stuff leak through, like the rest of the network. So it looks like they're "overlaying" Nine Perth these days, which would probably be benificial.

They've also stated they will remove Ten programming once a certain percentage of the WA population has access to digital. I believe they're well past that percentage point.

But why did they specifically decide to stop running Letterman on the late Wednesday night (last day of February)? Granted, WIN did occasionally didn't air the late Friday night episode due to, what I believe were, scheduling constraints but they only had Spyforce and a 20/20 'repeat' late on that night so there would have been ample room there for Letterman if they so desired.

Why did they specifically (I assume) wait till the end of the month to stop airing Letterman rather than stop when other Ten content ceased airing on WIN WA (which was at least a few weeks earlier, the last few weeks it was just Letterman with everything else being from Nine).

I'd say it rested entirely on their digital progression in the state. Having said that, perhaps now if WIN must fill a slot in the schedule with their own, they could still pluck shows from Ten's archive if they hold the rights. No harm, no foul. Rules of Engagement is a schedule whore anyway. I swear it's aired in every primetime and early morning timeslot since it began.

OFFLINE   southeastsa #163

• 603 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have noticed split seconds of Perth advertising several times on WIN. Also instances where a Nine News update from Perth starts, but is quickly overlayed with a WIN promo or two. Usually you'd see TCN stuff leak through, like the rest of the network. So it looks like they're "overlaying" Nine Perth these days, which would probably be benificial.

This is exactly how it works in SA.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #164

• 4,152 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Wow.. their multi-million dollar play-out centre can't even work out when an ad break begins. Hope they got a money back guarantee on that baby.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #165

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,650 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

The fourth season of MasterChef Australia starts this Sunday. WIN viewers will miss out seeing on the show unless they can receive Ten in their area by whatever means.

OFFLINE   aryan3 #166

• 727 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

The fourth season of MasterChef Australia starts this Sunday. WIN viewers will miss out seeing on the show unless they can receive Ten in their area by whatever means.

There should not be too many areas not covered now. WA as a whole will be 100% digital and every household be able to get Ten West by September so there is not too many transmitters left.

AARON

OFFLINE   hrh #167

• 1,454 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

There should not be too many areas not covered now. WA as a whole will be 100% digital and every household be able to get Ten West by September so there is not too many transmitters left.

AARON

Lots of small local self help type ones, so unless they've hopped on the VAST band wagon...

OFFLINE   bambbbam #168

• 4,152 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Lots of small local self help type ones, so unless they've hopped on the VAST band wagon...

Yep friend lives in a town of 3,000 and the council have said that they will not upgrade the local transmitter, so every aerial in town has to be repointed and probably upgraded. A real pain.

OFFLINE   Squee! #169

• Forum Moderator

• 11,114 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

A lot of others will do a flash cut (analogue changed to digital transmission) on or close to the switch-off date at the end of next year (those that are self help, that aren't going to a VAST system nor been discontinued/phased out)

OFFLINE   Smacca #170

• Forum Moderator

• 3,276 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

A lot of others will do a flash cut (analogue changed to digital transmission) on or close to the switch-off date at the end of next year (those that are self help, that aren't going to a VAST system nor been discontinued/phased out)

Surpisingly, some network-owned sites will be doing that as well, like Carnarvon.