7 News Content and Appearance

• Please log in to reply
15174 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #5981

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,103 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I've found Nine to always have a better balance between local and international news in all capitals, all bulletins, for many years.

I agree, which is why Nine News has been dominating for so many years. On some days, Seven News had one world news item or none at all.

OFFLINE   tbop #5982

• 1,868 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Could be worse. You could be perth where we have Natalie Cooper presenting news in Perth,then cross to Sam in Syndey with the rest of the news,who then crosses to Melbourne for Sport and Weather.

The Perth local bulletin is a mess. The crosses to GWN seem odd and the West finance report is tacky.

No opener. And then the cross to 10 mins of Sam followed by sport and weather.

Just don't get it from 7Perth.

OFFLINE   Travis #5983

• 3,860 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

The Perth local bulletin is a mess. The crosses to GWN seem odd and the West finance report is tacky.

No opener. And then the cross to 10 mins of Sam followed by sport and weather.

Just don't get it from 7Perth.

I agree. The finance report is terrible. Surely if they must do a finance report,they could get a reporter to do it in the studio. And using the Update opener is stupid.

OFFLINE   WAtv #5984

• 2,862 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I thought after Easter they my have added a opening - nothing
It is really a joke - why have a cross to gwn
The guy from the west who does the finance report -my 6 yr grand daughter could do a better job
Some one at 7 needs a kick up the arse

Edited by WAtv, 17 April 2012 - 10:13 PM.

WaTv

OFFLINE   Squee! #5985

• Forum Moderator

• 11,017 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

one has to wonder why they're even wasting the money with such a half arsed effort.
afaik the ratings increase at the 4:30 timeslot has been nil or close too it for both Seven and Nine's local bulletins. I thought it would at least take 10 or 20k off Ten in Perth, but their ratings have actually increased on average.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #5986

• 6,358 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

OTT "First on 7" watermark with the "First on 7" strap. Capped from Sydney's 6pm News Preview during today's edition of the 4.30 News:

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 18 April 2012 - 05:07 PM.

OFFLINE   Mark #5987

• 16,181 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Robert McKnight @rob_mcknight

COPYCAT is a 7 letter word. To my friends at #7NEWS, you can do so much better than stealing our slogan. #FIRSTon9

Edited by Mark, 18 April 2012 - 05:14 PM.

OFFLINE   JackMelbTV #5988

• 4,654 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Rob McKnight really needs to get over himself, like 9 hasn't stole anything before

OFFLINE   spw68 #5989

• 2,318 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've never really understood the "First on 9" slogan. If the stories air on all channels, then how is it first on 9? Do they commence their bulletins at 5:55? No. Do they have a short first story so all of their others air "first"? No. It makes sense for an exclusive, but not for general news stories.

Edited by spw68, 18 April 2012 - 05:24 PM.

spw68

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #5990

• 6,358 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Robert McKnight @rob_mcknight

COPYCAT is a 7 letter word. To my friends at #7NEWS, you can do so much better than stealing our slogan. #FIRSTon9

Rob McKnight really needs to get over himself, like 9 hasn't stole anything before

Exactly. While they aren't recent examples, I can think of a couple of slogans that Nine have pinched from Seven, "Trust the Experience" and "Leading the Way" come to mind. While it's all well and good for Nine to point out that that Seven have stolen their slogan, they can't honestly say that every slogan that Nine News has used in the past few years has been original.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #5991

• 6,358 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Clearer/Higher Quality caps of the Seven News Sydney titlcard. Used again tonight because Chris Bath presented in front of the giant plasma. I hope the titiecards have returned in Sydney for good:

OFFLINE   Leostar #5992

• 4,685 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Question. Was it 7 first who introduced the live shot on the news or did 9 come up with it?

OFFLINE   kevizz #5993

• 4,750 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Safe to say it wasn't an original thought from either network, would've been pinched from the U.S. or U.K. like most other things.

Edited by kevizz, 18 April 2012 - 09:49 PM.

OFFLINE   Leostar #5994

• 4,685 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Yes I do understand that but I was under the impression 7 were the first of the Australian networks?

OFFLINE   blackbox #5995

• 273 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Maybe I do. I certainly do let my passion take over at times. I honestly think it's bad strategy though. If they jumped on it 3 years ago when we first introduced the SEE IT FIRST campaign then it would make sense as it muddies the waters, but it seems too late to me. Right now they are simply trying to jump on something they believe has worked for Nine.

I've never really understood the "First on 9" slogan. If the stories air on all channels, then how is it first on 9? Do they commence their bulletins at 5:55? No. Do they have a short first story so all of their others air "first"? No. It makes sense for an exclusive, but not for general news stories.

Not all stories are on all channels. FIRST on 9 is nothing to do with what time the news is on, it's about the EXCLUSIVE stories and investigations we provide.

OFFLINE   blackbox #5996

• 273 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yes I do understand that but I was under the impression 7 were the first of the Australian networks?

As I mentioned on twitter, Nine started using the live shot first. TCN-9 launched it just after the Olympics (if I recall correctly) just as ATN-7 moved into Martin Place. Seven changed soon after to the metal set with the projection.

OFFLINE   kevizz #5997

• 4,750 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Maybe I do. I certainly do let my passion take over at times. I honestly think it's bad strategy though. If they jumped on it 3 years ago when we first introduced the SEE IT FIRST campaign then it would make sense as it muddies the waters, but it seems too late to me. Right now they are simply trying to jump on something they believe has worked for Nine.

A few tweets is hardly inappropriate, I'm sure jackie01 wouldn't have had a go at you if they knew you were a member here.

Just because both networks have copied each other at times in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't call each other out for doing so. This is definitely one of the more blatant steals that've occurred over the years, and I think Seven deserve to cop some criticism for it.

That said, if they think changing the words in a little tag will improve their figures they've got another thing coming. Their Sydney bulletin has much bigger issues relating to content and presentation that they have so far failed to address.

Edited by kevizz, 18 April 2012 - 10:19 PM.

OFFLINE   spw68 #5998

• 2,318 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Not all stories are on all channels. FIRST on 9 is nothing to do with what time the news is on, it's about the EXCLUSIVE stories and investigations we provide.

I realise it has nothing to do with the time. I was being flippant. Why is the slogan "see it first on 9" if you are only referring to exclusives. What is the 'it" you refer to in a general promo?
spw68

OFFLINE   pleurodon #5999

• Media Vault Contributor

• 595 posts since
  • December 2010

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I agree. The best way to beat the competition is to create something totally different that sparks interest rather than copying things that others have done.

I realise it has nothing to do with the time. I was being flippant. Why is the slogan "see it first on 9" if you are only referring to exclusives. What is the 'it" you refer to in a general promo?

'See it First' I see as just a general promotional slogan implying that Nine have news crews on the scene as it happens, give all the details fast etc... I don't think it always refers to particular stories - just a mindset to break news fast and (hopefully) :tongue: accurately!

Rob probably has a better answer though.....

OFFLINE   NewsKing #6000

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,760 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Wish Jen would 'get amongst it' or so to speak more often: