7 News Content and Appearance

• Please log in to reply
15530 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Firetorch #61

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Did we all have an interview with Danny Green regarding Dancing with the Stars in our bulletin tonight, or was that just Perth?

Or do people care more about Seven's appearance rather than it's shit content?

OFFLINE   TGIF #62

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

I think the "shit content" you refer to has already driven away the people who don't enjoy it silly.gif

OFFLINE   Firetorch #63

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

I don't think it should ever come down to "enjoying" a news bulletin. It should be there to inform.

If Seven has no intention of providing a quality news bulletin, rename your 6pm half hour and stop fooling people that what they're watching is news.

Arsehole network.

OFFLINE   TGIF #64

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

I didn't say it was right or wrong..just that it has a following both here and elsewhere (the ratings indicate as much). It's not to my taste but I wouldn't say my opinions represent what most people think. (Having said that I think there are definitely aspects which could be improved upon significantly.)

It doesn't really differ that much from what Nine offer - and based on what the ratings suggest it might remain the case for some time.

Why do you watch it if it riles you so much? Ten, ABC and SBS all put together great alternatives.

OFFLINE   NewsKing #65

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,867 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

Chris Bath reading a 12pm Bali Bomber update. Another expected at 1pm.

OFFLINE   TGIF #66

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

What a surprise.

OFFLINE   Lepatron #67

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (TGIF @ Nov 9 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a surprise.

What's that supposed to mean? Not very insightful I must say.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   TGIF #68

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Neither was the comment above it!

TSR has commented on this recently as well..it's possibly to go into a little more depth that "XX just appeared".

OFFLINE   Lepatron #69

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

People are often interested in how the networks cover breaking news stories. Usually there aren't newsbreaks this early in the day on a weekend.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   SA TV #70

• 8,328 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

Yes i think the emphasis there was on the fact that here has been a news break at this time on a Sunday, as opposed to the fact that Chris was hosting it.

OFFLINE   MelbourneTV #71

• 7,828 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (kimberb @ Nov 9 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris Bath reading a 12pm Bali Bomber update. Another expected at 1pm.

Do we need updates about that story? The act has been done, and AFAIK there is nothing further to report.
There is no reason for them to be doing special updates for this story at 12pm, or in the afternoon.

OFFLINE   Tom W #72

• 1,056 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (MelbourneTV @ Nov 9 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do we need updates about that story? The act has been done, and AFAIK there is nothing further to report.
There is no reason for them to be doing special updates for this story at 12pm, or in the afternoon.

There was a 2pm update as well, with news that their bodies have been taken back to their home town.
I think Seven News sees merit in providing extensive coverage of this story because it is much of interest to many Australians.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #73

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Tom W @ Nov 9 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because it is much of interest to many Australians.

Not really.

OFFLINE   SA TV #74

• 8,328 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Yeah i must say that i think this case is of interest to many Australians. Don'tforget that these were the people behind the Bali bombings.

OFFLINE   Forty #75

• 237 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

i think the follow on emphasis will be on the reaction of extremists in indonesia and whether there will be any post-execution retaliation. i think further updates on the situation in indonesia is rather relevant.

OFFLINE   Tom #76

• 3,411 posts since
  • June 2004

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Nov 9 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really.

I would of thought that fact that the murderers of 202 people, including 88 Australians, being brought to justice would have been of interest to most Australians.

The fact that there have been security threats and subsequent travel warnings would be of interest to those planning to holiday in Bali any time soon.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #77

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yeah those planning to holiday to Bali, who are interviewed each day for Seven News telling us they couldn't care less what travel warnings are issued, whether there is terrorist activity, and whether the bombers are about to get executed. I'm sure they're really interested in Sevens over the top and pathetic coverage of this 'event'.

People being shot to death is not justice, and really I can't see it being a topic that would be 'interesting' to most people.

I think we're all sick of hearing about these bombers this week.

OFFLINE   Tom W #78

• 1,056 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Nov 9 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah those planning to holiday to Bali, who are interviewed each day for Seven News telling us they couldn't care less what travel warnings are issued, whether there is terrorist activity, and whether the bombers are about to get executed. I'm sure they're really interested in Sevens over the top and pathetic coverage of this 'event'.

People being shot to death is not justice, and really I can't see it being a topic that would be 'interesting' to most people.

I don't think the directors of Australia's highest rating TV news service would be choosing to provide this extensive coverage unless there was warrantable public interest.

Edited by Tom W, 09 November 2008 - 03:32 PM.

OFFLINE   TGIF #79

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think the argument that because Seven is covering it, everyone should is flawed but I do agree with what you're saying..it's a major story, and it's all about terrorism and Australians overseas so it'd be dynamite for commercial TV. Even ABC News online have got it as their major story.

Whether or not the execution was right (which I don't think it was), it warrants coverage.

OFFLINE   Forty #80

• 237 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Firetorch @ Nov 9 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are seriously one negative piece of work.
back in the olympics u tried to tell me what i saw on tv, and here u are again thinking you know what everyone else wants. just because u dont have an intrest in a topic doesnt mean the rest of this country is.
whether their excution was wrong or right, this was a massive event in this country's history and death of the guilty party is certainly final curtain on the entire grisly incident.
never mind the executions have made worldwide headlines. obviously an australian tv network shouldnt worry about it.
but i get the feeling that i am preaching to the deaf, of course if seven didnt have any coverage or reporters overseas then you would be up in arms about the pathetic coverage and lack of news instinct shown by the network. crazy.gif