2012 AFL broadcast deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
655 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Glinn Mgraw #581

• 95 posts since
  • August 2008

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

FOXTEL will have their own commentary team, commercial free using 7's own feed for the simulcast games

Incorrect.

Games from Seven's feed will have Seven's commentators on both Seven and Foxtel.

OFFLINE   TimboW #582

• 700 posts since
  • January 2004

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

Incorrect.

Games from Seven's feed will have Seven's commentators on both Seven and Foxtel.

Kim Williams said they would be using their own commentators on the Seven feed games and would be ad free
NOBODY SCREWS SPORT LIKE SEVEN!

OFFLINE   On Air #583

• the bost mod here

• 6,004 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Start times for matches under the new deal

Friday night games will start at 7.50pm EST OR 8.40pm when played in WA or SA.

Saturday afternoon: 1.45pm EST and 2.10pm EST.

Saturday twilight: 4.10pm-5.40pm EST

Saturday night: 7.10pm-7.40pm EST

Sunday early: 1.10pm EST

Sunday afternoon: 3.15pm EST

Sunday twilight: 4.40pm EST

so not ever had foxtel
with this new deal fox will broadcast 2 games at once
how would this work ?

It would work by one game being broadcast one channel and the other match would be broadcast on another channel.

OFFLINE   Forty #584

• 237 posts since
  • April 2007

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

everyone wanted live FNF and they have got it.
im in qld, and over the moon with the live football.
from a fans point of view, i was hoping that 5games would be showen on FTA after this year. But there
is no point in blaming the FTA channels, its just impossible for one network to afford to air all of the games.

7 Brisbane had a lengthy 90second story on the broadcast deal, also went into depth regarding the NRL rights. Said that ch7 are very interested and in the race for the NRL. While mentioning that an NRL spokesperson said the AFL deal will not impeded on the NRL rights at all.

OFFLINE   WAtv #585

• 2,940 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Kim Williams said they would be using their own commentators on the Seven feed games and would be ad free

Could 7 go down the same track and go add free or maybe cut the add breaks back say to 4 a qtr?
WaTv

OFFLINE   Racer25 #586

• News Contributor

• 4,496 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Could 7 go down the same track and go add free or maybe cut the add breaks back say to 4 a qtr?

How would they ever make any money back on the telecast?

Overall though, it's a fantastic deal for Foxtel, an average one for Seven and a mixed bag for fans depending on your financial position. How long will we see Foxtel endeavour to have all nine games commentated on? This would already be in addition to the massive amount of funding allocated for the rights, a separate channel and a "promise" to keep prices similar to current levels. I'd be expecting a large jump in fees for their sports package over the next five broadcast seasons in order to cover all those measures.

Can we also expect an impact on Foxtel's recent rise in funding for drama's? Meanwhile, I doubt either TEN or Nine will come to the table now, especially considering how hot keen both seem to be aiming at the NRL rights.

Edited by racerboi25, 28 April 2011 - 09:41 PM.

OFFLINE   newtaste #587

• News Contributor

• 5,260 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

From Amanda Meade on Twitter:

Afl.com red-faced after saying Seven boss quits | The Australian http://bit.ly/kUpdbX

OFFLINE   Lepatron #588

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

David Leckie has been sacked over AFL rights before (Sacked from Nine for letting Ten get the Grand Final in the 2002-2006 deal) and should be sacked again.

I can't see any way that Seven can make money out of this deal, or even stem the losses from their current deal. This deal makes Foxtel even more compelling for AFL fans (as they get every game live, every year (Except GF) and with no ads).

With all of 7's (or 7 mate's) matches simulcast on Foxtel, the subscribers of Foxtel (which will only increase under this deal) will always favour watching Foxtel's coverage, leaving Seven's coverage to see a decline in ratings.

Wait for the next round of AFL rights, when Foxtel subscriptions are sky high and Foxtel is holding all the power. None of the FTA networks will be interested because it will be a ratings nightmare and the rights will be worth a lot less than $1b.

I am thrilled as an AFL fan because I have Foxtel and now have every single match live without ads next year (except the GF which will be live but with ads). I think the deal is great for fans because they now have choice to get every match live but I think the deal isn't great for the game long term and definitely is a disaster for Seven.

I can't see Nine or Ten being interested in buying the rights to an afternoon simulcast that will make them no money.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Mr. J #589

• 9,309 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

I can't see any way that Seven can make money out of this deal, or even stem the losses from their current deal.

I think it's clear bidding for AFL rights have never been about the profit, just the profile of being the AFL owner.

What are the latest reports on what 7 spent anyway?

Edited by Jerome, 28 April 2011 - 10:59 PM.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #590

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,566 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

Foxtel and Telstra get what they want: every game bar the Grand Final live, coverage in HD, mobile phones, IPTV, you name it. What technology can Foxtel and Telstra offer for the 2017-2021 rights? The only thing they can only do will be to raise the money offer. For the next rights I expect the total value will be around $1.3 billion, taking inflation into account.
As I said earlier, with the matches streamed live on Telstra NextG compatible mobile phones, basically you can take your phone into the stadium and listen to the commentary from either Foxtel or Seven over 2.5 hours, even though the cost will be sky high :tongue: This could actually diminish the value of the next radio rights deal. And with uncertain economic conditions and the ABC facing funding cuts in the upcoming Federal Budget, the AFL may not get extra cash from the broadcasters Southern Cross (Triple M's new owner), DMG (5AA), Fairfax Media (3AW) and the ABC.

so not ever had foxtel
with this new deal fox will broadcast 2 games at once
how would this work ?

It would work by one game being broadcast one channel and the other match would be broadcast on another channel.

For example, on Saturday nights one game will be shown on Fox Sports AFL and the other will be on either "red button" viewer's choice channel or one of three Fox Sports channels. Don't be surprised if the "red button" is used every week during the regular season to cover all the football codes (AFL, NRL, Super Rugby, A-League and Premier League).

OFFLINE   Lepatron #591

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

For example, on Saturday nights one game will be shown on Fox Sports AFL and the other will be on either "red button" viewer's choice channel or one of three Fox Sports channels. Don't be surprised if the "red button" is used every week during the regular season to cover all the football codes (AFL, NRL, Super Rugby, A-League and Premier League).

Fox Sports AFL is basically a Fox Sports 4 channel but with an AFL focus, the other matches that clash with matches in progress on Fox Sports AFL will be shown on other Fox Sports channels (ie Fox Sports 1, 2 or 3).

Fox Sports AFL will be able to carry 5 matches without clashing with other matches(Fri Night, Sat A/N x 1, Sat Night x 1, Sun Early and Sun Twilight). The 2nd Sat a/noon, 2nd Sat night, sat twilight and sun afternoon match will have to be shown on another Fox Sports channel.
<strong class='bbc'>Lepatron</strong> | Deputy Chief Administrator<br /><br />Media Spy | lepatron@mediaspy.org | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   chuck #592

• AFL 2013 and (joint) 2014 & NRL 2013 Tipping Champion

• 779 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:32 AM

when seven lost the afl rights there network share dropped significantly and when they got them back it rose once again so it seems like alot of money but they do better with it rather than without. as for foxtel well they have more subscribers in nsw than victoria i think and they hope this will bring more subscribers to foxtel in a afl loving city/state, cant beat 9 games live for afl fans

Edited by chuck, 29 April 2011 - 01:34 AM.

OFFLINE   ADstv #593

• 1,560 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

Wonder if they will also use their own graphics aswell.

Fox Sports AFL is basically a Fox Sports 4 channel but with an AFL focus, the other matches that clash with matches in progress on Fox Sports AFL will be shown on other Fox Sports channels (ie Fox Sports 1, 2 or 3).

Fox Sports AFL will be able to carry 5 matches without clashing with other matches(Fri Night, Sat A/N x 1, Sat Night x 1, Sun Early and Sun Twilight). The 2nd Sat a/noon, 2nd Sat night, sat twilight and sun afternoon match will have to be shown on another Fox Sports channel.

Yes, thats what will happen. Any game that clashes with Fox Sports AFL will be shown on one of the Fox Sports Channels. With both SD and HD feed, I cant see viewer's choice being used.
[ads]tv 5 YEARS ... 2007-2012

OFFLINE   Lepatron #594

• Retired Admin

• 8,863 posts since
  • September 2002

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:36 AM

Yes, thats what will happen. Any game that clashes with Fox Sports AFL will be shown on one of the Fox Sports Channels. With both SD and HD feed, I cant see viewer's choice being used.

From Foxtel's media release:

"FOXTEL, AUSTAR and FOX SPORTS will schedule their games on the new dedicated AFL channel (the FOX SPORTS AFL channel) as well as scheduling some games on FOX SPORTS 1, whenever there is a game overlap or conflict..."

OFFLINE   bacco007 #595

• Deputy Chief Administrator

• 9,180 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

For the next rights I expect the total value will be around $1.3 billion, taking inflation into account.

How can you justify such a figure? What are the AFL going to offer beyond what they already have to make up the difference? Foxtel really need to make the rights work, otherwise that will dramatically affect future rights deals - their last attempt at a breakout channel wasn't the success they would have liked.

The next rights deal will feature less of the FTA networks and more of subscription and IPTV providers

I can't see any way that Seven can make money out of this deal, or even stem the losses from their current deal. This deal makes Foxtel even more compelling for AFL fans (as they get every game live, every year (Except GF) and with no ads).

It will be interesting to see whether Seven end up competing with Foxtel's coverage (like trying to go ad-free siren to siren)

OFFLINE   bambbbam #596

• 4,146 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'm confused..

Edited - games will still be delayed into SA & WA on FTA but live on Foxtel..

Edited by bambbbam, 29 April 2011 - 08:22 AM.

OFFLINE   NewsKing #597

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,873 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

I thought FOX sports would have introduced split screen technology by now so you can watch two matches at once.

OFFLINE   Mr Hands #598

• 96 posts since
  • November 2010

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

I thought FOX sports would have introduced split screen technology by now so you can watch two matches at once.

They used to do that for the English Premier League, you could watch six games at once if your brain could take it! It's great when they have that many games but I found I'd rather watch one game then the replay afterwards when the sat night RL was on.

OFFLINE   stilesykenny #599

• 437 posts since
  • December 2008

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Could someone please tell me if this new Fox Sports AFL Channel will be in SD as well as HD, or will it be in HD only?

OFFLINE   stmookeyj #600

• 1,630 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

David Leckie has been sacked over AFL rights before (Sacked from Nine for letting Ten get the Grand Final in the 2002-2006 deal) and should be sacked again.

I read that he resigned/retired as soon as this deal was done.