They don't want Lizzie's wrinkles in HD? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #1482

• News Contributor

• 11,332 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Looks like it has something to do with the feed as Today is back in the EPG for next week

OFFLINE   utaussiefan #1483

• 223 posts since
  • October 2007

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Nine need to do something to GEM as it was what cost Nine the ratings the past week as GEM finished the week of with only 2.2% of the audience, there are many different options Nine could do to GEM, they could change the name of it to something like Nine+ and show replays of shows off GO! and 9 and some older programs Nine used to show and show TODAY, Nine News and Sports in HD and they could show something like an extra News bulletin on GEM at night and in the morning. They could also show documentaries as well in HD. The big problem with GEM is that they are showing programs not made for HD and they are wasting the HD channel.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #1484

• 20,038 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nine need to do something to GEM as it was what cost Nine the ratings the past week as GEM finished the week of with only 2.2% of the audience, there are many different options Nine could do to GEM, they could change the name of it to something like Nine+ and show replays of shows off GO! and 9 and some older programs Nine used to show and show TODAY, Nine News and Sports in HD and they could show something like an extra News bulletin on GEM at night and in the morning. They could also show documentaries as well in HD. The big problem with GEM is that they are showing programs not made for HD and they are wasting the HD channel.

I think a repeat lineup could work quite well. Having said that, it only works when the main channel has shows people want to watch. If you've got a dud lineup to play with, it will only be worse on Gem.

OFFLINE   Mr. J #1485

• 9,326 posts since
  • January 2009

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

9 never invested much in GEM, it was thrown together to get on air and hasn't changed since. they could completely dump it and replace it with a new channel after the olympics and not much would be lost.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1486

• 18,611 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

24-hour Babe TV! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ugly chicks in HD! :blink: :laugh:

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #1487

• 6,799 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

9 never invested much in GEM, it was thrown together to get on air and hasn't changed since.

If it wasn't for 7mate, I reckon that we'd probably still have Nine in HD!

They could completely dump it and replace it with a new channel after the olympics and not much would be lost.

To be quite honest, I'd be happier than a pig in filth if they quietly dumped Gem after the Olympics (lets face facts here, would it really be worth keeping?) and replaced it with a HD simulcast of either Nine or GO! or a new, different channel, despite the poor bitrate. From what I can tell, Gem has very little that wouldn't work on either Nine or GO!

24-hour Babe TV! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ugly chicks in HD! :blink: :laugh:

I'm just glad that it was recently dumped of Extra after a few days and replaced by infomercials, so don't give them any ideas!

OFFLINE   parano1a #1488

• 2,100 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Friday night NRL is rating woefully on GEM, with a live Storm game last Friday getting less than 30k in Melbourne. Nine need to work harder on promoting their product.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1489

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,649 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Friday night NRL is rating woefully on GEM, with a live Storm game last Friday getting less than 30k in Melbourne. Nine need to work harder on promoting their product.

The Storm team did not have its big stars (Slater, Smith, Cronk) due to State of Origin commitments, hence the very low ratings. But I do agree that Nine needs to promote the coverage better, e.g. by mentioning live coverage on the AFL Footy Show.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #1490

• 4,152 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

You never know which games are going to be on GEM, or the main channel.

As each city seems to 'do it's own thing' there is a dearth of relevant advertising during the week before the game. If people don't know when/if games are even to be shown, they're not likely to watch are they?

ONLINE   newtaste #1491

• News Contributor

• 5,276 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

From Monday, Gem will have an informercial block from 2:00am to 10:30am, though broken by the paid program Joyce Meyer at 4:30 and Friends at 5:00am. If they add just a couple more hours of informercials the rubbish will occupy a third of Gem's schedule.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1492

• 18,611 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

What a waste of the bandwidth. Maybe profitable, but that's shocking.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #1493

• 6,799 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

From Monday, Gem will have an informercial block from 2:00am to 10:30am, though broken by the paid program Joyce Meyer at 4:30 and Friends at 5:00am. If they add just a couple more hours of informercials the rubbish will occupy a third of Gem's schedule.

So, I guess Nine don't have enough infomercials to put on Extra. I wonder if there will be any repeats in the 2am-10am infomercial block?

Agreed. I say it's almost time to dump the channel and bring back Nine HD! I personally won't be surprised if Gem goes away quietly after the Olympics.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #1494

• 18,611 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

If they were going to revamp GEM, move it to SD and dedicate it to old crap, move GO to HD and load that with more recent content that is guaranteed to be in HD. Simulcast major sports from Nine in HD on the revamped GO HD.

OFFLINE   Aurora #1495

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 6,006 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

What they are doing is just replacing the Today simulcast with infomercials. Interesting when you consider that they recently introduced Channel 94 doing non-stop infomercials on top of what they already have across Nine, GO! and GEM.

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   Matlock #1496

• News Contributor

• 6,184 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

If they were going to revamp GEM, move it to SD and dedicate it to old crap, move GO to HD and load that with more recent content that is guaranteed to be in HD. Simulcast major sports from Nine in HD on the revamped GO HD.

That's what should happen. I don't want to see a steam-mop in high-definition.

WWOS would be a better fit on GO! than GEM too.

ONLINE   newtaste #1497

• News Contributor

• 5,276 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

I don't want to see a steam-mop in high-definition.

Not when you can see it in very low def on Extra. :-)

OFFLINE   The Sifon #1498

• 5,872 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

It's only profitable because people watch and buy the products.

Australia loves home shopping.

OFFLINE   Matlock #1499

• News Contributor

• 6,184 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

It's only profitable because people watch and buy the products.

Australia loves home shopping.

I don't know a person who has bought anything from an infomercial.

Edited by tmorgan96, 25 June 2012 - 11:09 AM.

ONLINE   SydneyCityTV #1500

• 6,799 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

A Sponsor Billboard I managed to record while flicking between channels: