ABC News 24

• Please log in to reply
5702 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Moe #541

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

Because the news channel is HD, so not as many have access.

OFFLINE   jwbaker #542

• 210 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

I was thinking about these 'Lateline News Updates', could it be becuase Juanita is now in rehersals for News24 and can't do the 9:30 updates?

Well it's possible I guess, although they could simply be trying to raise the profile of Lateline for viewers who may not normally watch it. If Juanita was in rehearsals, surely they could get someone else to do the update?
By the way, the graphics on the Lateline news update are horrible! It looks as though they just tacked on the 'News Update' bit over the top (which I'm sure they did do!)

OFFLINE   Tane04 #543

• 795 posts since
  • October 2004

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Freeview reveals ABC News 24 logo

OFFLINE   Mark #544

• 16,148 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Freeview reveals ABC News 24 logo

David's a day behind, Moe revealed it here yesterday :P

OFFLINE   NewsKing #545

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,743 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

Advanced guides for ABC2 still have ABC News Breakfast in the schedule as far forward as July 23. Either News 24 launches July 26, or there will amendments to ABC2 advanced programming for ABC News Breakfast to move to News 24 should the launch be earlier.

It has been mentioned that many times aready that abc news breakfat will be simulcast on both channels so you will get no clues from the abc2 guides.

OFFLINE   On Air #546

• the bost mod here

• 5,960 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

It has been mentioned that many times aready that abc news breakfat will be simulcast on both channels so you will get no clues from the abc2 guides.

Indeed, and it has also been pointed out here since that members post too...read up.

OFFLINE   Homer #547

• 328 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

I was thinking about these 'Lateline News Updates', could it be becuase Juanita is now in rehersals for News24 and can't do the 9:30 updates?

My guess is that Juanita will host the main nightly bulletin (wasn't there rumoured to be a major bulletin at 9pm each night?) after hosting the ABC NSW bulletin and so won't be available for the 9:30pm national update on ABC1. I think the "Lateline News Update" could be a permanent change.

OFFLINE   AdelaideTV #548

• 1,018 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

My guess is that Juanita will host the main nightly bulletin (wasn't there rumoured to be a major bulletin at 9pm each night?) after hosting the ABC NSW bulletin and so won't be available for the 9:30pm national update on ABC1. I think the "Lateline News Update" could be a permanent change.

I do seem to recall that there was a bulletin going out at 9pm EST, 8:30 Central and 7pm Western. This might not happen as it would be going head to head with the local Perth bulleitn. I just can't wait

OFFLINE   SA TV #549

• 8,306 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

If Juanita was in rehearsals, surely they could get someone else to do the update?

Yeah, Like the Lateline presenter who would alredy be there...

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #550

• Forum Moderator

• 3,621 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

I've heard a whisper that this baby *could* be on air Thursday, just in time for the expected call of a federal election.

OFFLINE   BJT #551

• 3,590 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

I've heard a whisper that this baby *could* be on air Thursday, just in time for the expected call of a federal election.

It is the first of July... so maybe!

Edited by BJT, 29 June 2010 - 10:19 PM.

OFFLINE   mattrobts #552

• 4,458 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

It is the first of June... so maybe!

July, actually but is a possibility.

OFFLINE   mattrobts #553

• 4,458 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

It is the first of June... so maybe!

OFFLINE   BJT #554

• 3,590 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

fixed..haha

OFFLINE   ka86 #555

• 231 posts since
  • April 2010

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

There is no chance it would be started on Thursday, firstly there have been no promos that say to rescan to get channel 24 and I can guarantee that there will be lot's of promos to inform people of the date of the launch (like ABC3). I'm thinking more like mid to late July now.

OFFLINE   robertfrankin #556

• 853 posts since
  • February 2010

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

There is no chance it would be started on Thursday, firstly there have been no promos that say to rescan to get channel 24 and I can guarantee that there will be lot's of promos to inform people of the date of the launch (like ABC3). I'm thinking more like mid to late July now.

I think you may be right, but perhaps the ABC are thinking about need with the election expected to be announced soon, and they have probably been testing the channel for a month or two now, so maybe the ABC think it can go live, and fix any problems along the way. I think it might be similar to when the Ignite Systems were introduced to the ABC News rooms in 2008/9, they may have glitches to start, but will get them under wraps as time goes on.

OFFLINE   TGIF #557

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

You can guarantee?

I suppose we should all make sure Julia Gillard knows she's not allowed to call an election before the ABC have had a chance to put together some ads to warn of the change :ph34r:

OFFLINE   ka86 #558

• 231 posts since
  • April 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

You can guarantee?

Well no, but it's just logical, the ABC wants to have maximum impact for its new channel, firstly because it will be a one of a kind on Freeview (like One HD) and they don't want to confuse viewers, particularly those in the 40-60 demographic.

OFFLINE   jwbaker #559

• 210 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

Well no, but it's just logical, the ABC wants to have maximum impact for its new channel, firstly because it will be a one of a kind on Freeview (like One HD) and they don't want to confuse viewers, particularly those in the 40-60 demographic.

Yes, I'd have to agree, surely they would give some notice about the need to rescan the channels before launching. Also, I would have thought ABC would run a preview promo/test signal/logo on the new channel prior to launch, in line with other digital channel launches, but at this stage ABC HD hasn't even been moved over to LCN 24 yet...

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #560

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:06 AM

Don't know.

I almost think it is better just to get the channel on the air up and running, have it on the air a month to iron out kinks, get chemistry between anchors right, see what works and what does not etc.... THEN do a big launch campaign, with promos on ABC1, ABC2, ABC3 pointing to the new network, how to tune in. Also promos on ABC radio networks (Esp NewsRadio) adds in the press and a huge PR push to get media talking and writing stories.

It's not like the premiere of a show. You don't need to be there night 1 for ABC News 24.

In fact I think night one will be full of bugs and problems and issues and you might scare off potential viewers and not get them back.

I think its better to get on the air for 4 weeks, then publicise the launch to the masses.