• Please log in to reply
5762 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mark #561

• 16,288 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

There is no chance it would be started on Thursday

well put it this way, NewsWeary works in the industry and is hearing what a lot of people in the industry were told yesterday afternoon (including people at SKY I'm told)... so it could be possible.

OFFLINE   banzai #562

• 39 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

I've heard a whisper that this baby *could* be on air Thursday, just in time for the expected call of a federal election.

:laugh: Did that same person whisper that it was snowing in hell?

This would only happen as a result of another accident by Media Hub.

Edited by banzai, 30 June 2010 - 07:42 AM.

OFFLINE   David. #563

• 431 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

If they are talking about Thursday then I wouldn't be suprised if it was launched Monday afterall.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #564

• Forum Moderator

• 3,684 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

I posted the rumour based on information I heard yesterday afternoon from more than one source and I did qualify the info with "could". I found it hard to believe until I heard it from the second unrelated source. If Mark has heard the same rumour then I wouldn't be surprised to see the channel on air tomorrow. It's pretty bloody cold where I am so it could well be snowing in hell.

The ABC has effectively been producing 24's content for the past couple of weeks and running it as if it were LIVE. We saw evidence of that during the leadership spill last week. What better time to launch the channel than with coverage of the call of an election. The ABC's other outlets need only direct the audience to the new offering for further news and anaysis for people to become aware of it.

OFFLINE   Mark #565

• 16,288 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

If Mark has heard the same rumour then I wouldn't be surprised to see the channel on air tomorrow. It's pretty bloody cold where I am so it could well be snowing in hell.

I heard similar last night but it went pretty quiet, so I didn't mention it or do a TSR article based on just one whisper. I was told however that people at Sky News were working on the fact they'd have competition "within hours".

From what I gather from the ABC, they are close to being ready but would only roll sooner if the election is called.

Whether that's right or wrong only time will tell.

OFFLINE   Mike Retter #566

• 3,433 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

If the leadersip coverage graphics have anything to do with 24 - dump them. Instead of scrolling they have them jump out at you, preventing concentration on the main story.

OFFLINE   robertfrankin #567

• 853 posts since
  • February 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

I find it a bit funny that the ABC are having guests for News 24, before it even goes to air. I'd have thought just testing with studio crew or presenters would be fine. http://twitter.com/V...tus/17377080288

OFFLINE   ShadowDan #568

• 749 posts since
  • November 2009

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Could be rehearsals for ABC Management's private viewing only? Just test runs? :blink:

I think the rumor of it starting shortly is just exactly that rumor. There has been no official announcement. It will start in July, if ABC really want to get this channel on the air before the election (if in August) then yeah July - late July would be my best bet.

How is this going to work though? Are we going to see political shows such as Q&A , Lateline, Lateliness Business live for eastern states viewers since it's been confirmed that channel will be live across the country? Or will those shows just stay on ABC1?

Until we know more on the exact date the channel will launch, I guess we can only speculate I suppose.

OFFLINE   David. #569

• 431 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I don't think it will launch tomorrow. It's 6pm and there has been nothing and no promotional period at all.

Edited by (David), 30 June 2010 - 05:55 PM.

OFFLINE   Con #570

• 1,707 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

I don't think it will launch tomorrow. It's 6pm and there has been nothing and no promotional period at all.

Maybe the ABC are doing a Nine and not say anything about the launch date to catch the opposition of guard.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #571

• 20,038 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Maybe the ABC are doing a Nine and not say anything about the launch date to catch the opposition of guard.

And what exactly will the opposition do?

OFFLINE   chuppa #572

• 132 posts since
  • October 2008

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm thinking they may go with a soft-launch. Iron out all the bugs before a full/hard launch later in the month.

OFFLINE   Mike #573

• 18,519 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Sky doesn't look like its going to any extra effort other than a possible update to the new UK logo soon.

OFFLINE   Con #574

• 1,707 posts since
  • September 2009

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

And what exactly will the opposition do?

Respond with measures in order to not get viewers who have HD not to change.
Personally I think there is nothing wrong with Sky, but I am sure there are ways they could improve.

OFFLINE   TGIF #575

• 11,470 posts since
  • October 2006

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, what happened to going into overdrive ahead of a competitor appearing?

If the government calls an early election (which is looking increasingly unlikely anyway) how on earth do you expect for them to put together promotions a week in the past? They find out when the rest of us do. Are people being deliberately dense?

In any case I'm sure we'll see it before the month is out. Which is kind of exciting.

OFFLINE   jwbaker #576

• 215 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm thinking they may go with a soft-launch. Iron out all the bugs before a full/hard launch later in the month.

Isn't that the point of piloting the channel without it going to air though? The ABC would want to make a good impression when the channel launches, rather than taint it with frequent technical problems..

Respond with measures in order to not get viewers who have HD not to change.

It's understandable that the ABC would want to keep the launch date under wraps, but as previously mentioned on this thread, I would have thought it would be necessary to advertise the channel rescanning etc. in order to minimise confusion with the audience prior to the channel's launch. It seems as though a fair bit of behind-the-scenes testing has already been taking place for the channel.

OFFLINE   Moe #577

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well it isn't 100% certain there will be a LCN move (though it has always been them most logical idea to have News 24 on 24, it has never been made official), and even if there is, boxes with the old 20 would likely still point to the right channel. Rescanning would really only be a cosmetic thing in the channel list, to either move the channel to 24, rename it in the channel list (or both); unlike when ABC3 started and people wouldn't have got it without re-scanning.

I'd be shocked if it starts tomorrow (a Monday would be more likely and even then I do expect there to be promotion) - but there's not necessarily going to need to be rescans.

OFFLINE   robertfrankin #578

• 853 posts since
  • February 2010

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

The ABC News 24 promo on the ABC currently says "This month we are changing the way you see ABC HD..." So perhaps tomorrow we will have a new promo as, theoretically the current promo should expire tonight. Just Maybe :)

OFFLINE   David. #579

• 431 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

ABC News 24 Delayed

I wonder why NewsWeary and Mark heard those details then if it is delayed??

OFFLINE   Happy_aussie #580

• 118 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

ABC News 24 Delayed

I wonder why NewsWeary and Mark heard those details then if it is delayed??

I love this quote
Meanwhile, Sky News covered the event with an outstanding rolling broadcast that has since become the envy of every free-to-air network.

Hmmmm a News Corp publication pushing a News Corp channel. Don't forget that News Corp is basically at war with the ABC (&BBC) for their "free" channels. (News et al)

I'd be reading that article with a grain of salt ...