Offspring

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   icat #301

• 7,156 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I saw 4 or 5 different versions of promos with a variation of different vision. However, the main message was Nina not being Darcy's child and her relationship with Patrick as that is where last season left off and was the focus of the first episodes.

Precisely my point. They showed the same material. It just a different take on it. But it still the same footage over and over and over again. In the end. I just wanted to scream thinking they not hashing out the same promo again!

I watched the episode on and off. However, I kept getting drawn to watching The Hoff on Nine.
Nine reasons to watch Titus Pollo on Rome.
Prison Break on 7

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #302

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Ten's marketing is terrible and seems to be getting worse. They get way to carried away with syle and cute clever creative and forget to actual sell, market, promote or make you want or even better feel the need to see their shows.

OFFLINE   Swanny #303

• Retired Admin

• 4,317 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

All I can bloody remember seeing (or better, hearing) from the Offspring promotion is "I can't see me lovin' nobody but you, for all my life".... Even the few outdoor ads I saw for it had that song pop into my head.

Totally gonna make me want to watch it!

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #304

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Exactly. Ten's marketing is "cutesy" and "clever" but does not do a good job of making you want to watch their shows. The messaging is weak and the need to tune in non existent.

Seven is the master of it, and Nine really knocked it out of the park with The Voice and Underbelly in previous years.

OFFLINE   cmo #305

• 6,008 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Exactly, they cant even hype their own shows. If they aint gunna do it no one else is. They have to gush about themselves, make noise, be active. Yes they dont have the budget. Well prioritise the budgets to marketing. Spend money to make money. The cheap way is often the shit way.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #306

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

I thought the promo's were borderline "ok", but the outdoor advertising sucked. What was the appeal of watching outside of "Asher Keddie looks good"? Needed to entice viewers in.

Back to the program, what a brillant start to the season! A lesser program like Winners and Losers would drag something like the paternity bombshell out for half a season. This program is so strong and confident about what its doing, they drop it before the first episode is even over. Asher is simply fantastic, but the overall cast is really quite strong. Been missing this program heaps.

OFFLINE   J Bar #307

• 14,721 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

It was plotted and executed well. I think with this episode Offspring may have pushed ahead as my favourite Aussie show now.

Edited by J Bar, 19 April 2012 - 11:16 PM.

J Bar

OFFLINE   KICK-IT #308

• 2,743 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't watch it - but I sure am reading a lot of praise for this show.

If it is such a quality show....I mean if it were on Seven it would be rating 1.2 million TP and 800,000 in 18-49.

It just needs exposure.

Eleven and Ten should be playing multiple encores to boost exposure.

OFFLINE   ryaneco #309

• 2,930 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Got to watch ep 1 last night; was fantastic.
Billy is so, so, so good - perfect comedic relief without being over the top or annoying - I laughed out loud at a few of her moments, in particular the scene toward the end when she said to Mick that she was a bit jealous that Nina wasn't a Proudman because it just meant she was the special one all over again :laugh:
And the scene at the start with Nina and Billy talking sex then the hilarious montage of ill-fated sex adventures between Billy and Mick was another great moment, culminating in the "chilli" fiasco.

Definately agree that a lesser show would have drawn this paternity storyline out over a whole season before the family bombshell but Offspring did it in the first episode back - obviously there will be more drama regarding it throughout the season but we look on track to have another fantastic series of Offspring.

Fingers crossed ratings pick up I'm no where near ready for Season 3 to be the final season.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #310

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't watch it - but I sure am reading a lot of praise for this show.

If it is such a quality show....I mean if it were on Seven it would be rating 1.2 million TP and 800,000 in 18-49.

It just needs exposure.

Eleven and Ten should be playing multiple encores to boost exposure.

It's been exposed through MasterChef last season and ended with 1.1m for the finale. Sadly it seems a fair few people haven't returned, probably because they're not watching Ten right now. Should pick up over the season.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #311

• News Contributor

• 10,616 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Congrats to everyone who works on this show. It's fantastic that Australia can produce such quality (on our budgets as well). It's the equal, if not better, than any import on air at the moment.

ONLINE   JackMelbTV #312

• 4,654 posts since
  • February 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Offspring replay on Saturday, April 21 at 9:30pm (10:30 in Melbourne)

Source: TV Tonight

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #313

• Formerly Mike.S

• 9,478 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Offspring replay on Saturday, April 21 at 9:30pm (10:30 in Melbourne)

Source: TV Tonight

Ten doing same thing for next week as well.So if u miss next wednesday nights episode,just watch it saturday night.

OFFLINE   J Bar #314

• 14,721 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Ten doing same thing for next week as well.So if u miss next wednesday nights episode,just watch it saturday night.

As long as they don't change their mind (which has happened before) so don't get caught out.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #315

• Formerly Mike.S

• 9,478 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

As long as they don't change their mind (which has happened before) so don't get caught out.

Yes good point J Bar .............nothing worse getting caught out! :laugh:

OFFLINE   underarm #316

• 2,153 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Got to watch ep 1 last night; was fantastic.
Billy is so, so, so good - perfect comedic relief without being over the top or annoying - I laughed out loud at a few of her moments, in particular the scene toward the end when she said to Mick that she was a bit jealous that Nina wasn't a Proudman because it just meant she was the special one all over again :laugh:
And the scene at the start with Nina and Billy talking sex then the hilarious montage of ill-fated sex adventures between Billy and Mick was another great moment, culminating in the "chilli" fiasco.

Definately agree that a lesser show would have drawn this paternity storyline out over a whole season before the family bombshell but Offspring did it in the first episode back - obviously there will be more drama regarding it throughout the season but we look on track to have another fantastic series of Offspring.

Fingers crossed ratings pick up I'm no where near ready for Season 3 to be the final season.

Don't worry. Its ratings would have to drop below 400k before 10 would contemplate axing it.
Although, I'd imagine that some of its cast would be leaving after 3 seasons.

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #317

• Formerly Mike.S

• 9,478 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yep you were right again they changed there minds :rolleyes: ,no repeat this saturday night.

OFFLINE   Matt_Melb #318

• Formerly Mike.S

• 9,478 posts since
  • August 2011

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I loved last night's episode,it had great storylines with Nina and her family dealing with Nina finding out her father is not her biological father.The writers of the series are amazing, dealing with a situation that people deal with in real life.I believe if this show was on another newtork it would rate higher,People just same not to like watching Ten.Last night's episode rated 759,000.

OFFLINE   J Bar #319

• 14,721 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think this season it has really improved. I enjoyed these two episodes of season 3 more than the first two episodes of Packed to the Rafters season 5. The humour in Offspring is brilliant this year. It deserves more viewers.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Racer25 #320

• News Contributor

• 4,493 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Fantastic episode. Billy is great comic relief and I loved how she had Mick using Grindr too :P