Angry Boys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   ben78 #81

• 64 posts since
  • September 2010

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

I like it

OFFLINE   Lowie #82

• 2,638 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

Chris Lilley’s mockumentary series Angry Boys had its first international debut earlier this week, attracting a solid audience in Britain on multichannel BBC3.

TSR: Angry Boys debuts solidly on BBC3

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #83

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

Noticed in news.com.au articles yesterday that "Angry Boys" is at 390,000 nationally.

If it was on any of the commerical networks it would be rescheduled to 2am on one of the digital channels.

I tried to watch it the other night but unfortunately I just find it too slow and its also too derivative of his previous work. Perhaps it will do well in the UK/US, they haven't seen any of Chris's previous work?

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #84

• Forum Administrator

• 11,686 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Noticed in news.com.au articles yesterday that "Angry Boys" is at 390,000 nationally.

If it was on any of the commerical networks it would be rescheduled to 2am on one of the digital channels.

While the show's numbers have declined as it's progressed, Wednesday's figure is not really a typical result given it was up against State Of Origin (2.46m) and Offspring... and it was on after a re-run of Spicks And Specks which also took a ratings hit.

Last week, Angry Boys got 591k. Well below its launch figures but probably not too catastrophic for aunty ABC.

OFFLINE   J Bar #85

• 15,351 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I tried to watch it the other night but unfortunately I just find it too slow and its also too derivative of his previous work. Perhaps it will do well in the UK/US, they haven't seen any of Chris's previous work?

It probably would have been better run as five or six episodes rather than sucha long series. It seems to be going over a lot of the same ground. Still finding some moments of brilliance but I agree that there is a lot that we've seen before in the first two series.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #86

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

It probably would have been better run as five or six episodes rather than sucha long series. It seems to be going over a lot of the same ground. Still finding some moments of brilliance but I agree that there is a lot that we've seen before in the first two series.

I agree strongly on that point J Bar. There's a lot that's missing in this one because the plots are so much longer and convoluted; Summer Heights High was much snappier in that regard and I think its been lost in the current series. The other thing that I found annoying is resorting to swearing and Freudian bodily functions for laughs rather than clever plot twists or character action - for example, I loved seeing J'amie have a falling out with her friends because you knew she was going to have to make up with them by the end of the episode (somehow) and right on cue she ended up throwing a panic attack to get sympathy.

I just haven't cared enough about any of the characters this time around to even bother seeing where they end up because some of them are just nasty, foul mouthed and debased. You gotta have characters who are likeable and interesting (on some level)... just my two cents!

OFFLINE   J Bar #87

• 15,351 posts since
  • May 2006

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

The other thing that I found annoying is resorting to swearing and Freudian bodily functions for laughs rather than clever plot twists or character action.

Yeah, the swearing loses its impact when every sentence contains it.
J Bar

OFFLINE   Sam #88

• 1,622 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

I think they need to add more charecters :stirthepot:

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #89

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Last episode on Wednesday night was quite dissapointing and predictable; the Nathan character pisses on everything (tee hee); the surfer dude gets new balls (ha ha); S.Mouse has another hit single (wow); the Japanese skater boy moves his mum out and they all meet up at the end for the party. Chris Liley, if you are reading this - please just stick to J'amie or something like that, you are much funnier in drag than you are trying to do Freudian arse and dick jokes every five minutes. I'm sorry to say I never laughed once, I just felt like it was the same joke about a hundred times too many.

If he tries to write something else he should do a whole six episodes on J'amie graduating from school and trying to make it in the 'real' world (with her parents help of course). Now THAT would be funny.

OFFLINE   Lowie #90

• 2,638 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

I stuck with it, though I can see why so many didn't. It was so repetitive and slow, with unlikable characters which didn't grow on me at all. The cheese factor in the final scenes was a bit much.

OFFLINE   amir #91

• 522 posts since
  • December 2009

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

If he tries to write something else he should do a whole six episodes on J'amie graduating from school and trying to make it in the 'real' world (with her parents help of course). Now THAT would be funny.

Oh, yes please! That would be amazing.

OFFLINE   Racer25 #92

• News Contributor

• 4,497 posts since
  • September 2008

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

I stuck with it, though I can see why so many didn't. It was so repetitive and slow, with unlikable characters which didn't grow on me at all. The cheese factor in the final scenes was a bit much.

So nothing really changed about it at all, characters went nowhere? I gave up after Episode 4 when it just plotted along, though I thought something *might* have happened by Ep 9 or 10. Years of hype lead to an expectation nothing could match.

Edited by racerboi25, 30 July 2011 - 12:14 PM.

OFFLINE   Wasp & Bee #93

• 188 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Chris Lilley was mobbed at Chadstone last week apparently - there were lots of adoring fans (they all looked like his characters from Angry Boys!). It might not have had a lot of universal appeal or huge ratings but it certainly struck a chord with a lot of young blokes... I still want a whole 6-episode series devoted to J'amie and going to uni or trying to make it in the real world outside school!