Radio Ratings Predictions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   PZ. #41

• Senior Forum Moderator

• 7,731 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

For me:

• No significant change for MMM's ratings
  • Classic Rock to go back over 3%
  • 2CH slightly up
  • WSfm slightly down
  • 2Day, Nova, Mix, no idea, never listen to them.
  • 2GB, 2UE slightly down - 2BL slightly up

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #42

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

I am really looking forward to Monday's ratings.

In Sydney it should assist in answering:
- is MIX having any impact on 2Day's audience?
- has Classic Rock slipped further into irrelevence? If so, will heads roll?
- Is 2UEs more moderate style going to impact on the other talk stations - 702 and 2GB?
- Can 2CH maintain its ratings boost from the last survey?
- Will the Nova breakfast show (hosted by Merrick, Who the hell and What the f***) ever get back to a rating over 10% (in the last survey of 2009 Merrick, Rosso and Kate Ritchie rated 10.5%)
- Will WSFM continue to strengthen on the back of an uncompetitive 95.3 and a Triple M that cannot work out whether it is a rock, talk, comedy or sports station?

Already answered is that 2Day, 2BL and 2GB will be the at the top of the ratings pile.....

Edited by Nickatnights, 29 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #43

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

Think it's safe to say Mix has/will have impacted upon 2Day very little,if at all.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #44

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,285 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Or more, what audience Mix poaches from 2DAY, 2DAY poaches from a failing Nova.
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   Mike #45

• 18,523 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Has anyone here ever filled in a radio survey book?

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #46

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Once.A regional one in Lithgow sometime in the early 1980's.I remember 2LT had Lindsay Lawson on breakfast,& he wandered off to Orange's Mid State Television sometime....can't remember anything more specific though.Long before you were even born! :old:

OFFLINE   Mike #47

• 18,523 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Ah, I didn't realise the regionals in my area were counted with the metros. I thought there only did special ones every now and then.

Edited by Mike, 28 January 2011 - 03:15 PM.

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #48

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

My mum did last year. It was quite a complicated little journal. I thought it could have been simplified somewhat.

As a senior she "checked" every 15 minutes she had listened to 2CH. I doubt I would have been as precise.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #49

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Ah, I didn't realise the regionals in my area were counted with the metros. I thought there only did special ones every now and then.

Pff.Technicalities.Anyway,since it was the only survey I ever saw I felt it worth a mention.

OFFLINE   Squee! #50

• Forum Moderator

• 11,092 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

was excessively detailed and complicated when a door-knocker requested us too back in 1999-2000. No idea how they can get an accurate reading for the lower end of the 10-17s without having their parents filling it in for them

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #51

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

48 hours until the ratings are released and I predict(but would not bet on) that in Sydney:
- Mix UP: finally they are doing the soft rock again (breakfast is a weak spot though - someone tell Andrew to stop laughing / giggling at everything).
- Nova DOWN: New dance sound will take a while to catch on, Merrick, Dicko and Wacko breakfast show is just noise.
- Classic Rock DOWN: It sounds the same as it did eight months ago. Boring.
- 2DayFM UP: could benefit from the weak Nova brekkie show and more edgy dance / hip hop music 969 plays
- WSFM DOWN: some listeners defect to Mix
- Triple M, 2UE, 2GB, 702: Stable.

I bet none of this comes true; it is hard to predict how a cities listening habits will change. It is certainly fun to watch though.

Roll on Thursday!

Edited by Nickatnights, 24 February 2011 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #52

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Here are a few predictions and the reasons behind them for this Tuesdays ratings release in Sydney:

2UE - they may struggle. The main weakness is breakfast - why listen to Jason when you can listen to the original Alan Jones. Jason has the exact same opinions so why switch to 954? Mike Carlton had success on 2UEs breakfast as he was an alternative to Alan.

MIX1065 - strong ratings. Although the breakfast show is fake laughter (and thus sounds lame)the music has been spot on for their demographic.

953 - Dear me. No one knows the station is there or what they are doing. Is it Classic Rock? Classic Songs? They played Human League the other day, yet still use the Classic Rock positioner. Another real issue is the drive show - who wants to listen to a prerecorded show (Alice Cooper) when they get into their car after work? Few want to listen to a tape at 5pm.

2GB - strong as ever.

Nova - The new music slant has been OK (a greater focus on mainstream Top 40) but the fake laughter at breakkie and drive turn people off. The pirate themed night time show - no comment.

As always it is up to the people with the survey books and where they have placed their "ticks".

Actually reverse everything I have said above - I never get it right!!

Edited by Nickatnights, 08 May 2011 - 08:08 AM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   dbrmuz #53

• 6,539 posts since
  • June 2009

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

I'll tip NewsRadio to out-rate MTR in Melbourne,and 2SM in Sydney.Oh,wait-SM isn't in,is it? :mischievous: :stirthepot:

OFFLINE   tamago_otoko #54

• Retired Senior Moderator

• 5,285 posts since
  • August 2007

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

I'll tip NewsRadio to out-rate MTR in Melbourne,and 2SM in Sydney.Oh,wait-SM isn't in,is it? :mischievous: :stirthepot:

Yep, on NewsRadio you get parliament, where two sides of a debate are being argued. On MTR you only get one :D
tamago_otoko
Media Spy Moderator
tamago_otoko@mediaspy.org

ONLINE   TV_Expert #55

• 8,407 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

According to this link, Nielsen will be conducting a radio ratings survey for Hobart, the first official survey in 9 years. It will be held over a non-consecutive period of 6 weeks from mid-September to mid-November.

The last official Nielsen radio ratings survey for Hobart was held back in 2002, when 936 ABC took out #1 with 22.3%, followed by TTT (now Sea FM) at #2 with 21.2%, Magic (now Heart) at #3 with 16.6%, HO-FM (now 7HO) at #4 with 15.6% & JJJ at #5 with 8.3%.
It will be interesting to see how those stations would rate nearly a decade on, especially given that Sea & Heart are now owned by Southern Cross Austereo, while 7HO is owned by Grant Broadcasters. It's worth noting that on weekdays after 4pm, 7HO & 936 ABC are local, while both Sea & Heart take programming from the mainland.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #56

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

The last ratings for 2011 are due out on Tuesday and here are my thoughts:
- 2GB steady on strong ratings.
- 2Day: Up as Nova flounders.
- 702: Up – I am seeing the numbers 702 on lot of radio tuners lately.
- 2UE: Up a little if the midday to midnight programs and weekend efforts continue to gain traction. Still held back by the angry breakfast and morning shows.
- 2CH: Steady or up as it continues to offer an alternative music playlist to the FMs
- Sydney’s 95.3: I reckon the station will fall back to between 2.5 and 3.0% as it remains irrelevant to the harbour city and its millions of radios.
- WSFM: Steady as it plays the same 300 songs over and over and over and over and over and over again.
- Triple M: Hot Rockin’ 104.9 will improve its share. I don’t listen to 2MMM much but it is certainly doing what it promises to do and that's Rock Sydney.
- MIX: Probably down a little as its boring breakfast offering of soggy porridge continues to shed listeners.
- Nova: I reckon the fake laughs and screaming that continue to occur at breakfast will make listeners tune out. “And coming up in 13 minutes I’ll tell you what happened to me at the dentist yesterday – it was hilarious” ARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Inconsistent music throughout the day and weekends doesn’t assist the Nova share or cumulative audience either.

C’mon MediaSpyers – disagree with me………..let’s have a discussion.

Edited by Nickatnights, 09 December 2011 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image