Smooth FM

Ex Classic Rock Network

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #1121

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

I am enjoying some of the music Smooth is playing that is not heard on other stations. My three biggest turn-offs (when I switch to 2Day, Mix or WS) are:
- The More Music breakfast Show. Does Ed Phillips have a pulse? More Music - good idea. No Personality - bad idea. In the morning I need to wake up - not be put back to sleep!
- Smooth news which is amateur. By the way is there any reason why Brook Munroe (afternoon news reader on 95.3) always sounds like she is smirking / about to laugh when she reads the news? Whenever she announcers a murder or other human tragedy she sounds like she is about to burst out laughing? Weird.
- The repetition of some songs and that damn jingle. DMG had better be careful as I reckon that their employees in the Pyrmont offices are going to have a compo case as that jingle is enough to give anyone a mental illness. Same jingle several times an hour. It can cause part of your brain to shut down.
On the plus side Smooth is featuring a few tracks that have not been heard on Sydney radio since 2UW or 2SM were playing them in the early 80s. Good stuff.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   tv_watcher #1122

• 633 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Can they please not play "somewhere over the rainbow" makes me sick.

OFFLINE   CHOPAPI #1123

• 70 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Cathy Dinn will do More Music Breakfast show in Melbourne while Mike Perso is on couple of weeks holidays from tomorrow........Byron Webb will possibly cover Cathy's Drive show in Melbourne while doing his normal drive show in Sydney.........

OFFLINE   RF Burns #1124

• 803 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Wow that's strange.
A new station 7 weeks old, 3 weeks into a 10 week back to back ratings survey period & the breakfast announcer goes on holidays. Maybe he couldn't get out of it with kids & school holidays, but Vic. is already 1 week into the 2 weeks school holidays?
If he just wanted a holiday, why didn't he take them 5 weeks ago during the ratings break (when everyone else in important radio positions take them), or wait until the next ratings break from Sept. 2nd.
Sure Cathy Dinn's a good replacement, but seriously, do they want to build a winning radio station or not?

OFFLINE   jag3024 #1125

• 40 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Wow that's strange.
A new station 7 weeks old, 3 weeks into a 10 week back to back ratings survey period & the breakfast announcer goes on holidays. Maybe he couldn't get out of it with kids & school holidays, but Vic. is already 1 week into the 2 weeks school holidays?
If he just wanted a holiday, why didn't he take them 5 weeks ago during the ratings break (when everyone else in important radio positions take them), or wait until the next ratings break from Sept. 2nd.
Sure Cathy Dinn's a good replacement, but seriously, do they want to build a winning radio station or not?

It's a 'special' holiday, he's gone to London to see Bruce Springsteen. He probably arranged it before smooth became a fact.
According to an announcement on 91.5 Byron Webb is covering the Drive show on both stations.

OFFLINE   RF Burns #1126

• 803 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yes but still, management would've known in advance when the ratings are, when they were going to launch Smooth & who they wanted on Breakfast. When he asked for holidays, why didn't management refuse, it's been done before?

He could've gone & still done his show from London as a working holiday, no one would've known. If Jason Donovan's in Australia, he does his Heart FM UK program from here (probably out of the Smooth studios?), if he's back in London, his Smooth program will be coming out of the Heart FM London studios, even if it is only voice tracked. Mike could've done Breakfast here, from London with only a small interruption to his "holiday", as it would be done from 6:30pm - 10pm London time. The concerts on Saturday night London time, so the only show he may have to miss would be next Mondays Breakfast show.

OFFLINE   CHOPAPI #1127

• 70 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I disagree with the last post.....every announcer or DJ deserves a break sometimes.......Mike's break has been planned for few months before even Smoothfm came.....he frequently posts it on his personal fb page.........

It's not just Mike on holidays atm.........Rob Duckworth (101.7 WSFM) is on holidays too since last week...........and its also covered in the ratings survey............

OFFLINE   RF Burns #1128

• 803 posts since
  • April 2008

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I disagree with the last post.....every announcer or DJ deserves a break sometimes.......Mike's break has been planned for few months before even Smoothfm came.....he frequently posts it on his personal fb page.........

It's not just Mike on holidays atm.........Rob Duckworth (101.7 WSFM) is on holidays too since last week...........and its also covered in the ratings survey............

I don't begrudge announcers holidays, but if you want to take holidays anytime you fancy, you don't work in metro radio breakfast, it just doesn't happen. There's 7 weeks of non ratings during the year & 6 weeks of non ratings over Christmas, for holidays, when the important announcers take them.

Breakfast is the no.1 & usually highest paid spot on radio, metro breakfast "personalities" don't just walk into the studio at 5:30am, back out at 9:00am & "have a life". It's a very cut throat industry & if you've never worked in commercial radio (don't know if you have or do), you really have no idea of the "behind the scenes protection" that goes on. There's hundreds that will stab you in the back & take your job, without thinking twice. Just last week I was talking to a guy (not going to name him), who produced for Larry Emdur a few years ago when he was doing breakfast radio. Not only did he produce the Breakfast show, he was Larry's minder 24/7, he had to make sure all public appearances went to script, even if they weren't radio work related, he had to make sure Larry never said anything to anyone that may be controversial, & he's biggest responsibility was, he had to keep his eyes & ears open for whispers of anyone who was going to set Larry up, bring him down, or stab him in the back & take his job. It's unknown publicly, but it's though, controversial 2DAY breakfast announcer Kyle Sandilands, has 10+ minders working behind the scenes, in crisis control when he says something he shouldn't, & keeping the "wolves" at bay. In metro radio, you're constantly walking around looking over your shoulder.
Rob Duckworth is on Drive, so that's not so bad. Assuming Mike actually comes back to his job & Cathy Dinn hasn't taken over permanently, the thing that may have saved him, would be the station is only 7 weeks old, & he was hand picked to do breakfast for the new station. He may have been given grace if the trip was organised over 6 months ago, before management could safely tell him he was wanted on Breakfast, & the direction they were taking the station. If Smooth was 12 months or more old, I'd say he'd be in a different position, if they are serious about gaining ratings, & making it a winning station.

Edited by GlennP, 10 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #1129

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Wow that's strange.

I agree that it is strange although (in Sydney at least) I can guarantee you that yesterday morning some conversations were along the following lines:
"Did you hear what Alan Jones said to the premier about..."
"What about how Kyle Sandilands told that caller...."
But no one said
"Did you hear Ed Phillips say he was going to play some more smooth hits on Sydney's new place to relax....."
The smooth breakfasts are not really about the hosts. In my opinion that is why they do and will continue to fail to rate.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   tv_watcher #1130

• 633 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I like more music in the morning, it's how i want to start my day - not by hearing fake laughter and talk talk talk all the time!

Add some more Ally Crew to the show and it's a winner!

OFFLINE   CHOPAPI #1131

• 70 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I like more music in the morning, it's how i want to start my day - not by hearing fake laughter and talk talk talk all the time!

Add some more Ally Crew to the show and it's a winner!

Totally AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

OFFLINE   CHOPAPI #1132

• 70 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Smoothfm has announced Darren Percival as the newest voice to join the all star weekend lineup between 10 am -1pm this Sunday.

Filling in for Jason Donovan this weekend, ‘The Voice’ star will play a heap of his smooth favourites and also help Smooth celebrate George Michael's Symphonica tour this weekend as the station gives listeners the opportunity to win tickets.

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #1133

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Considering that vega / Classic Rock / Sydney's - Melbourne's 95.3 91.5 / Smooth FM radio stations only exist in two capital cities I believe that they are the most written about radio stations (per licence) on Media Spy. The Triple M network has over 300 pages but the vega thread has over 50 pages as does this thread - and for only two stations.

Of late though there has not been much comment about Smooth. I am guessing this is because either:
- the stations have finally gained traction with audiences in their respective markets and listeners are happy and growing in number or
- people have stopped listening.

I cannot wait for the next survey. If Smooth is becoming popular in Sydney and Melbourne I am looking forward to seeing where the listeners are coming from (2Day, 2CH, Mix or WSFM). I know of two businesses that use to tune to 2CH and now have Smooth on their radios (a doctors surgery and a sandwich shop). It's only anecdotal evidence but I am sure DMG would be hoping it is part of a wider trend.

If Smooth is not rating I then look forward to seeing how DMG will tweak the sound of the station.

Radio is so dynamic - I love it!

Edited by Nickatnights, 20 July 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #1134

• 8,408 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

I know of two businesses that use to tune to 2CH and now have Smooth on their radios (a doctors surgery and a sandwich shop). It's only anecdotal evidence but I am sure DMG would be hoping it is part of a wider trend.

I've also noticed a few businesses, including a bus in the Campbelltown area, having Smooth on.
TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Mike #1135

• 18,530 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

It's very popular in waiting rooms and offices.

OFFLINE   Nickatnights #1136

• 769 posts since
  • May 2010

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

The Olympics gives us a great insight into which radio stations do not have live announcers. On Sunday morning Mix and 2Day had "live"announcers talking about the first results from London. Smooth (Jason Donavan etc) had no mention of the biggest sporting event in the world.

I wouldn't mind Smooth's pre-recorded shows of a weekend if the announcers gave us a little insight into the music but they are just back announcing songs.

In the age of iPods I believe that "live" announcers are one reason we listen to the radio.

And don't get me started on that ridiculous show Mix has on weeknights from 7 - 9pm. Dear, dear me. Ryan Seacreast? WTF?

On another note - does anyone else think that Lionel Ritchie has the most annoying voice on radio? OK, OK - after Alan Jones.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   jag3024 #1137

• 40 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

On another note - does anyone else think that Lionel Ritchie has the most annoying voice on radio? OK, OK - after Alan Jones.

...and Ray Hadley and Steve Price!

OFFLINE   CrowdedHouse #1138

• 439 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

The Olympics gives us a great insight into which radio stations do not have live announcers. On Sunday morning Mix and 2Day had "live"announcers talking about the first results from London. Smooth (Jason Donavan etc) had no mention of the biggest sporting event in the world.

*sigh* amatuer hour once again from Smooth FM

OFFLINE   tv_watcher #1139

• 633 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

Smooths playlist OMG... Somewhere over the rainbow, Michael buble etc... oh and that Missy Higgins rubbish.

I really hate how Smooth think we want to relax all day! Is this the unemployment radio station. Be abit more upbeat. I do however love the more music breakfast show! Music can get a fine tune though. The jingles are fun to join in with esp the one after the news!!

Smoooth 95.3, the home of more music in the morning, 95.3.... (something like that)

Marketing department has no idea on marketing! Their tv ad says it all really.

Edited by tv_watcher, 31 July 2012 - 09:34 PM.

OFFLINE   Mark #1140

• 16,292 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

recent research in the US shows that demand for AC and smooth stations to be more music in the morning to be running at 50/50.

So the same amount of people want less personality and more music and more personality and less music! LOL