MasterChef Season 4

• Please log in to reply
2118 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1061

• 2012 & 2014 NRL Tipping Champion

• 11,894 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Season 4 began on TVNZ One in New Zealand on June 25 and airs weekdays at 4.45pm local time.

ONLINE   newtaste #1062

• News Contributor

• 5,308 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Looking like a win for Kylie. She is clearly the best!

ONLINE   newtaste #1063

• News Contributor

• 5,308 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Devestated.

OFFLINE   schultzy #1064

• 629 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

even though kylie lost on the day she still came out as a winner in the end

Edited by schultzy, 22 July 2012 - 09:35 PM.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1065

• 11,894 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Kylie was doing so well in the kitchen during food preparation and service, so I was surprised to hear that she overwhipped the cream, resulting in the parfait being split and tasting too sweet. No wonder she was eliminated.
Also saw the sneak peek for MasterChef All-Stars (which has a blue MC logo on top of the computer generated gas stove fire). Can't wait.

Edited by Johnson28, 23 July 2012 - 06:44 PM.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #1066

• News Contributor

• 11,723 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Kylie was doing so well in the kitchen during food preparation and service, so I was surprised to hear that she overshipped the cream, resulting in the parfait being split and tasting too sweet. No wonder she was eliminated.
Also saw the sneak peek for MasterChef All-Stars (which has a blue MC logo on top of the computer generated gas stove fire). Can't wait.

It was at least an easy clear cut decision. I have a feeling they won't all be that easy this week.

The "first look" looks great, some great characters have been introduced; getting both Poh and Julie has added another level of interest as well. The line-up is good and there is a distinctive fun aspect. Like the new logo.
Shine have copyright on the promo unfortunately.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1067

• 11,894 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Don't worry, the official promo for MasterChef All Stars is here:

Additional comments by Kylie, and revelation she will go on a pop-up restaurant tour with other contestants in August: http://www.news.com....j-1226432270574
http://www.echonews....top-5-revealed/

Edited by Johnson28, 22 July 2012 - 11:32 PM.

OFFLINE   triton #1068

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

A sad end for Kylie after getting first choice of dishes. I really thought she was in the top two chances (with Mindy). You never know what trap might be lurking in the recipe when you see a completed dish on the bench. The judges were lucky it was so clear-cut, since the contestants didn't do the plating and most faults were picked up at the pass and the food sent back.

Julia has advanced her cause by having Audra steal her dessert dish but doing well with the scallops just the same. I don't think she'll win but I want her to make the top three.

Someone said earlier that it's been a bad year for favouritism in the judging. I don't think so. There have been a few decisions that I've been a little surprised at (I thought Julia was gone on Thursday), but nothing that couldn't be justified by the judges' comments or anything obvious. It's a subjective decision so you would expect viewers to disagree sometimes.

The all-Stars has a great cast. I'm really looking forward to it, especially seeing Marion, Poh and, er, Dani back in that kitchen.

OFFLINE   triton #1069

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Since her elimination she has quit as a secondary school teacher (she was a history and geography teacher in Haileybury College in Melbourne)

Alice was effectively sacked at the top 50 stage (but maybe you were referring to her career). She said in one of those episodes that she contacted her employer (the college I guess) to say she wasn't coming in and she was told that if she didn't come in she didn't have a job, so she quit. It's a little surprising that students would send her letters the year after she last taught at the school. There weren't many teachers the people I went to school with would have done that for.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1070

• 11,894 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

According to The Australian Financial Review today, MC attracted a capital city average audience of 1.23 million this year, down 26% on last year's 1.66 million. But Ten's overall advertising revenue is about $80 million, similar to last year's amount. This year the program attracted four more sponsors to take the total to 13.

OFFLINE   triton #1071

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

^Thanks, Johnson28. As long as it's back next year, and hopefully still six nights a week. It's down, which is a pity against the inferior likes of The Block, but I think they've done enough. Maybe next year they'll schedule it better, in time of year and time of night.

(I know there's some contract for future series, but any show can be cancelled at any time.)

OFFLINE   tbop #1072

• 1,988 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

How Julia continues to not be able to cook anything but a dessert well and stays in the competition is beyond me.

If she doesn't go tomorrow night...

OFFLINE   triton #1073

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

How Julia continues to not be able to cook anything but a dessert well and stays in the competition is beyond me.

She was in trouble last night but there was no way they could keep Ben after that pathetic effort. I happened to watch the first top 50 episode yesterday where Ben got beef in his mystery box (half got beef, half got chicken). Ben was very happy. He also wanted the beef dish at the opera house. He's in his element with beef. He had two hours and no pantry restrictions last night, yet he didn't have a clue what to do with it. It's as though he's learned nothing since the first top 50 challenge, about beef dishes anyway. Can you imagine Julia being so aimless in a dessert challenge?

If she doesn't go tomorrow night...

That big beefy challenge couldn't have suited Julia less, but she still did enough. You would expect the next challenge to suit her much better. They are due for a dessert now....

I don't mind the judges helping the contestants, but it should be at the margins. Last night Andy's dish was transformed by the judges. It was too much. If the core idea won't work the most the judges should do is ask some questions, but let the contestant run with it or think about changing on the basis of the questions. Not only did the judges tell Andy that his idea wouldn't work, they actually told him what to do instead, and then they heap praise on him for such a wonderful dish.

Only Mindy, and perhaps Audra, are getting the good ideas, putting up the quality food, displaying the confidence and making the few stuff-ups that you'd expect of the winner of this competition.

Edited by triton, 24 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

OFFLINE   triton #1074

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

There's something quite odd-looking in the Monday episode last week. At one point it looks as though Andy pushes Kylie out of the way on the balcony, though there's no sign of any problem between them after that. I don't have a URL for the specific episode, but on the Masterchef Australia site it's Week 11, S4 Ep. 62 (2/6) and 6:05 in.
http://www.masterchef.com.au/video.htm

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #1075

• Forum Administrator

• 11,572 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

There's something quite odd-looking in the Monday episode last week. At one point it looks as though Andy pushes Kylie out of the way on the balcony, though there's no sign of any problem between them after that.

Maybe because there is no problem? It was probably a bit of staging (e.g. one of them standing in the wrong spot and a producer has prompted them to change positions?) that should have been edited out.

OFFLINE   triton #1076

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

^You might be right, but Kylie seemed to move very suddenly and too fast for it to have been anything but a shove from Andy, though Andy is too hidden behind her to see him actually push her. I've watched it a dozen times. It was clearer on TV from my PVR recording that the online video. It really looks very strange.

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #1077

• 11,894 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Just saw the clip at The Age website and I clearly noticed that Andy shoving Kylie to get into her position.

As for last night, I think Ben deserved to go. He struggled throughout the challenge and was very nervous.

OFFLINE   triton #1078

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

The dishes were disappointing, but that was a fantastic episode. It was riveting from start to finish. I was all prepared from the beginning for Julia not to go through, and I still thought so for most of the episode, but from the comments she really excelled in the many techniques she used and put up a really tasty dish. In the end she breezed through. She gets criticized for being a dessert queen only, but compare all the difficult work she did with what Audra did, and someone like Andy would be all at sea trying what she tried tonight. I still don't think she'll win, but you never know. Go Julia!

I thought Mindy was the heavy favourite. It's a shock that she didn't make it to the finale.

Edited by triton, 24 July 2012 - 09:25 PM.

OFFLINE   tbop #1079

• 1,988 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Can't stand Julia and hate that she's been allowed to get to the top 3 by just making desserts.

She's a pastry chef, not a Masterchef.

(only my opinion tho).

OFFLINE   triton #1080

• 1,959 posts since
  • July 2011

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

She's a pastry chef, not a Masterchef.

In general pastry dishes require a lot more skill, technique and time than savoury dishes. They are just harder. That's why most contestants in these types of shows hate doing desserts.

Most people have the contestants they like and dislike. That's okay. I've really disliked many before (such as Jay last year; I desperately wanted him out). But you have to hand it to Julia that what she does well she does really, really well, and she is always ambitious. It was nuts for her to make her own puff pastry. With a spot in the finale at stake tonight she really went for it, against Shannon Bennett's (correct) advice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MasterChef, Season 4